The Student Room Group

Are UCAS applications and student finance applications cross-referenced?

Hello guys,I'm about to apply for financial aid, however, I have a concern.

Right around the time I sent my application, I had got a new job which I listed on my UCAS application (from January onwards). However, it turned out the employer didn't want/need me anyway and I therefore haven't really worked in that job.While I know I should notify the universities about such change, I decided not to; I didn't really want to seem as if I put "fake" information on my application.

Now I am worried about applying for financial aid; If the assessor checks my UCAS application, he or she will see my indication of having had a job from January onwards (as I sent my application in January). Do you think they would consider withdrawing my offer and consider my application as fraudulent? Or what will happen?

For the record, I didn't refer to this job anywhere in my personal statement or anything; I just listed it under employment, that's it.
Reply 1
Original post by johnwiley
Hello guys,I'm about to apply for financial aid, however, I have a concern.

Right around the time I sent my application, I had got a new job which I listed on my UCAS application (from January onwards). However, it turned out the employer didn't want/need me anyway and I therefore haven't really worked in that job.While I know I should notify the universities about such change, I decided not to; I didn't really want to seem as if I put "fake" information on my application.

Now I am worried about applying for financial aid; If the assessor checks my UCAS application, he or she will see my indication of having had a job from January onwards (as I sent my application in January). Do you think they would consider withdrawing my offer and consider my application as fraudulent? Or what will happen?

For the record, I didn't refer to this job anywhere in my personal statement or anything; I just listed it under employment, that's it.

Are you over 24 or being assessed on your own income rather than your parents' for another reason? If so, are you going into a full-time uni course?

Need to know this before we can accurately advise.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Are you over 24 or being assessed on your own income rather than your parents' for another reason? If so, are you going into a full-time uni course?

Need to know this before we can accurately advise.

I am under 24, and I believe I am assessed on both my own and my household/family income.

I am going into a full-time uni course.
Reply 3
I am under 24, and I believe I am assessed on both my own and my household/family income.

I am going into a full-time uni course.

If you're going into a full-time course, then it will be assumed that you do not have any income. Anything you earn part-time during your degree, won't be classed as income.

I wouldn't worry about it. People's circumstances do change, sometimes quite fast. Neither UCAS nor unis will have the staff to manage updates on this sort of thing from prospective students.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
If you're going into a full-time course, then it will be assumed that you do not have any income. Anything you earn part-time during your degree, won't be classed as income.

I wouldn't worry about it. People's circumstances do change, sometimes quite fast. Neither UCAS nor unis will have the staff to manage updates on this sort of thing.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am required, however, to disclose proof of any salary that I have received in the preceding year. As I will not be disclosing anything from that employer they might check it out to find out whether I'm "lying" on my financial application - or am I just overthinking it?

My application is for the university's bursaries, not for the student finance administered by the government.
Reply 5
Thank you very much for your reply.

I am required, however, to disclose proof of any salary that I have received in the preceding year. As I will not be disclosing anything from that employer they might check it out to find out whether I'm "lying" on my financial application - or am I just overthinking it?

My application is for the university's bursaries, not for the student finance administered by the government.

Pretty sure it's the over-thinking thing, but by all means, do check direct with the uni(s) for your own peace of mind :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Pretty sure it's the over-thinking thing, but by all means, do check direct with the uni(s) for your own peace of mind :smile:

I will. Sorry for all the questions, but: how would you go about this? Should I just contact whoever is in charge of student finance and ask them if it would have consequences for me that I indicated a job that I didn't have on my application?
Reply 7
I will. Sorry for all the questions, but: how would you go about this? Should I just contact whoever is in charge of student finance and ask them if it would have consequences for me that I indicated a job that I didn't have on my application?

Every uni has an Admissions Office - email and phone number will be on their website. Start there and if they can't answer, they'll put you in touch with the department who can.

Quick Reply

Latest