The Student Room Group

Trouble with facebook?

I DEACTIVATED IN 2011 to help me focus more on my exams etc but found that i had loads more time to do actual real life things, with actual real life people- rather than just sitting there waiting for something to happen.

Then i thought to myself, why is there over 2,000 people on my list when i only trust maybe 10 of them? I probably only knew 1,000 of them between school and maybe 500 between family and friends, leaving 500 randomers.

so i stayed off.

It's now 2016 and although i still don't really want Facebook, i have alot of important family photo's i would like to download and i'd possibly keep it open and just delete my friends list to family and close friends.

I know my full name on Facebook because i'm still on a family members list (although it informs them i have deactivated and gives them the option to remove me).

I know my password to log in.

Facebook requires a phone/email plus password to log in, it will not accept a full name.

The number i set my account up with was my sisters home phone at the time, which she lost in 2010 due to a house move (we can't recover it).

And i didn't have any email at this time.

All i have is full name, password and the ability to list approx 200 people off the top of my head.

I've tried all the troubleshooting links, log in failure links, forgotten log in links and they all ask me to search my name, which i can't do because it is deactivated, or a number- which i don't have, or a email, which i never had. So it all just goes on in circles.

HOWEVER, if you have an active account, and have simply forgotten your log in details....you can in fact ask facebook to send a family member or trusted friend a 4 digit code to help you log in. Why isn't this option available to deactivated accounts?

I have contacted facebook through a link some useful person has sent me, but facebook claims they don't reply to all of them and haven't replied yet (although it was only yesterday i sent a message).

Unless by some miracle someone on here can help, or my sister remembers a phone number she had 2006-2011 BUT never used- i'm fluffed.
Original post by GreekTea
I DEACTIVATED IN 2011 to help me focus more on my exams etc but found that i had loads more time to do actual real life things, with actual real life people- rather than just sitting there waiting for something to happen.

Then i thought to myself, why is there over 2,000 people on my list when i only trust maybe 10 of them? I probably only knew 1,000 of them between school and maybe 500 between family and friends, leaving 500 randomers.

so i stayed off.

It's now 2016 and although i still don't really want Facebook, i have alot of important family photo's i would like to download and i'd possibly keep it open and just delete my friends list to family and close friends.

I know my full name on Facebook because i'm still on a family members list (although it informs them i have deactivated and gives them the option to remove me).

I know my password to log in.

Facebook requires a phone/email plus password to log in, it will not accept a full name.

The number i set my account up with was my sisters home phone at the time, which she lost in 2010 due to a house move (we can't recover it).

And i didn't have any email at this time.

All i have is full name, password and the ability to list approx 200 people off the top of my head.

I've tried all the troubleshooting links, log in failure links, forgotten log in links and they all ask me to search my name, which i can't do because it is deactivated, or a number- which i don't have, or a email, which i never had. So it all just goes on in circles.

HOWEVER, if you have an active account, and have simply forgotten your log in details....you can in fact ask facebook to send a family member or trusted friend a 4 digit code to help you log in. Why isn't this option available to deactivated accounts?

I have contacted facebook through a link some useful person has sent me, but facebook claims they don't reply to all of them and haven't replied yet (although it was only yesterday i sent a message).

Unless by some miracle someone on here can help, or my sister remembers a phone number she had 2006-2011 BUT never used- i'm fluffed.

Did you delete it permanently or just deactivate it? If you delete it they supposedly delete your date after 90 days.
Original post by claireestelle
Did you delete it permanently or just deactivate it? If you delete it they supposedly delete your date after 90 days.

I deactivated it and selected the option 'I'm coming back later'.
I deactivated it and selected the option 'I'm coming back later'.

It could be possible that it still exists then, it does allow you to log in with a username rather than email but i can't remember if they brought that in before 2011.
It could be possible that it still exists then, it does allow you to log in with a username rather than email but i can't remember if they brought that in before 2011.

I don't have a username, only my full name and password. My account is still visible on my family's 'friends' lists and when they click my name it says 'remind this person to log in so you contact them' apparently.
I don't have a username, only my full name and password. My account is still visible on my family's 'friends' lists and when they click my name it says 'remind this person to log in so you contact them' apparently.

So them clicking doesnt take them to your profile url?
So them clicking doesnt take them to your profile url?

No they can't actually click it, only hover a mouse over it, which informs them i've deactivated, tells them to remind me to reactivate or gives them the option to remove me as a friend.
No they can't actually click it, only hover a mouse over it, which informs them i've deactivated, tells them to remind me to reactivate or gives them the option to remove me as a friend.

Unless the reminder option does anything then i m afraid i m stuck, sorry :frown:
Hiya,

Sorry to hear you can't get into your Facebook account. You will have definitely had an email associated with it, because Facebook absolutely requires one. All you can do is hope they reply to you. The option you talk about has to be activated beforehand and was only introduced in early 2015.

Best of luck :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending