The Student Room Group

STEP

Hi,

So I am thinkinkg of applying to Cambridge for maths but they require STEP.
Can anyone whos done them/preparing for it give any advice on how to do well and when to start learning the content?

I am in year 12 doing maths, fm and physics
Reply 1
Original post by hellomynameisr
Hi,

Can anyone whos done them/preparing for it give any advice on how to do well and when to start learning the content?

I suggest you go to the STEP 2016 prep thread and read the first page, as it answers your questions.
Original post by kkboyk
I suggest you go to the STEP 2016 prep thread and read the first page, as it answers your questions.

Oh okay. Thanks
Oh okay. Thanks

Working through the "advanced problems in mathematics" might be a nice place to start maybe in the summer after exams
Hi,

Learn C3 and C4 in the summer.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Learn C3 and C4 in the summer.

How long do you think that would take?
Reply 6

If you're Cambridge material? A few days.
Original post by Zacken

Have you ever been proper stumped by a STEP question that you havent been able to solve it?

Depends how thoroughly you learn them, but not that long. Probably between 5 and 25 hours depending on whether skim through a textbook and do a couple of questions, or get good enough to get easily 75/75 in exams.
Reply 9
Have you ever been proper stumped by a STEP question that you havent been able to solve it?

At the start? All the time. You'll need to get used to it.

FWW: I wouldn't worry about STEP now, focus on getting an offer first, then worry about STEP.

I doubt there are any successful Cambridge applicants who have never failed on a STEP question.
Original post by Zacken

FWW: I wouldn't worry about STEP now, focus on getting an offer first, then worry about STEP.

This is smart advice tbf
Original post by sweeneyrod
I doubt there are any successful Cambridge applicants who have never failed on a STEP question.

Original post by Zacken
At the start? All the time. You'll need to get used to it.

Oh right. Thanks guys!
Original post by Zacken

Bit much don't you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending