The Student Room Group

My mum's boyfriend is lying to her

So, my parents divorced a long time ago and my mum has had a few different boyfriends since then - all of them started out promising, but then all of them started either lying or being paraniod and jealous, so she ended it.

A year and a half ago, she met a guy who seemed perfect. He was laid back and not jealous, seemed totally straight forward and although she was careful not to fall in love too quickly she genuinely thought this was the man she would finally grow old with.

Over Easter, she realised something wasn't right and, long story short, it came out that he's been lying to her for months and making up alibis about where he was going in the evenings.

I don't know the full details (I know it doesn't involve an affair) but she feels heartbroken because she has been totally honest with him and had no idea he was lying to her.

She doesn't know what to do and I don't know what to say to her. Should she stay with him and worry every time he goes out if he's where he says he is? Or should she get rid of him and resign herself to never having another relationship again?
Original post by Anonymous
She doesn't know what to do and I don't know what to say to her. Should she stay with him and worry every time he goes out if he's where he says he is? Or should she get rid of him and resign herself to never having another relationship again?

...why's that option 2? Where's the option 3 of finding another dude? why... what

seems very extreme
Some people lie.. Heartbreaking as it is why shouldn't she find her perfect man? Being alone forever isn't exactly a nice option is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Retired_Messiah
...why's that option 2? Where's the option 3 of finding another dude? why... what

seems very extreme

Original post by Lambert87
Some people lie.. Heartbreaking as it is why shouldn't she find her perfect man? Being alone forever isn't exactly a nice option is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because she's had her heart broken too many times and she would rather be alone for the rest of her life than have to go through all that again :frown:
Reply 4
People lie all the time, just because one person doesn't does not mean they haven't, and just because someone has lied doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong or harmful. I don't know him or your circumstances but before she thinks about dumping him, try to understand what he's doing and why. I understand she's had a rough time in the past with relationships but dropping him without giving him a chance to explain may be the mistake rather than picking him up in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending