The Student Room Group
Bit confused why an international student would want to study law in the UK, but presumably English law is going to be more useful than Scottish law (which is taught at Edinburgh).
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Okay all my offers have gotten back to me and I'm stuck between Bristol, Durham and Edinburgh. I'm an international so I'm trying to discard preference between England and Scotland as its not as if I'm attached to one or the other.

Durham is easily the best choice. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As you're an international student, international reputation is the most relevant to you. Quite simply, Edinburgh has a significantly better international reputation overall and for law. It's 21st overall and 27th for law in the qs rankings, compared to Durham(41 for law) and Bristol(49). Edinburgh was also ranked 7th in Europe(6th in the UK) overall in the Times ranking recently.
Okay all my offers have gotten back to me and I'm stuck between Bristol, Durham and Edinburgh. I'm an international so I'm trying to discard preference between England and Scotland as its not as if I'm attached to one or the other.

I think Durham would be a better choice. Since I presume that you are Canadian, I heard about people graduating with Scots law having difficulties applying for NCA when they go back. If that applies to you, then I wouldn't suggest going that route. However, if you do plan to stay in Scotland, then Edinburgh would be an excellent choice for you.
Original post by Snufkin
Bit confused why an international student would want to study law in the UK, but presumably English law is going to be more useful than Scottish law (which is taught at Edinburgh).

Are you joking? Why do you comment on these threads if you're so absolutely clueless?
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Are you joking? Why do you comment on these threads if you're so absolutely clueless?

Please explain to me how a Scots law degree is going to be useful to someone living and working outside the UK?
Original post by Snufkin
Please explain to me how a Scots law degree is going to be useful to someone living and working outside the UK?

Okay for the record the plan is to work in the UK
Okay for the record the plan is to work in the UK

Isn't it quite difficult for international students to get visas to stay in the UK after they graduate?
Original post by Snufkin
Isn't it quite difficult for international students to get visas to stay in the UK after they graduate?

EU passport but June 23rd might change things
EU passport but June 23rd might change things

Right, in which case you're an EU student not an international student.
Original post by Snufkin

No, you said you cannot understand why an international student would want to study law in the UK. It's a ridiculously naive thing to say.
Original post by Snufkin
Right, in which case you're an EU student not an international student.

Fee status is international making me an international student domicile is Canada, EU passport because Dad's polish
OP: If you want people to help you make these decisions then it is important you give all the relevant information in your first post. Where in the UK do you want to live/work after university? There's little point doing Scots law if you want to work in England.

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
No, you said you cannot understand why an international student would want to study law in the UK. It's a ridiculously naive thing to say.

I suggest you go back and read my whole post. I clearly said studying law in England was going to be more useful to an international student than Scotland. Instead of criticising people's answers, why don't you offer some advice yourself?
Reply 14
There's actually quite a number of English students who choose to study at Scottish universities like Edinburgh and Glasgow, because of their reputation. It's pretty easy to do a conversion course to do English law.
Original post by Snufkin
I suggest you go back and read my whole post. I clearly said studying law in England was going to be more useful to an international student than Scotland. Instead of criticising people's answers, why don't you offer some advice yourself?

Your Scots Law advice was correct. But that info is little use to OP if you create the unreasonable impression that there is no sense in an international student studying law in the UK.
English law will be much better as if you do Scottish law then you need to convert after and that probably means the new SQE1 and 2 exams although it is all in transition currently so that would need to be checked on carefully. Scottish degrees are 4 years not 3 too so Edinburgh in practice may be 5 years compared with 3 in England just to get to being ready to do the post grade SQE2 course/exams.

Bristol and Durham are both good. 3 of my children (English children in our case) chose Bristol over Durham offers although I am form NE England and my father and uncle went to Durham. The reason they went for Bristol is closer to London. However you cannot go wrong picking either of those.

Latest

Trending

Trending