The Student Room Group

i want to study veterinary science/medicine

In a few years I would like to go to uni to study veterinary science or medicine, but I never took A-levels, and I don't currently have the GCSE levels required to get into uni even if I did do well in my a-levels.

GCSES I have
Maths -C
Maths statistics -C
English Literature -C
English Language -D
PE -Pass (BTEC)
Drama -C
Double science -D

I was thinking about going to college and redoing some GCSEs to get higher grades in English and maths and then take chemistry and biology as extra and be aiming to get A*/A's in the 4 subjects then progress onto a levels then progress onto uni, but I'm not even sure uni will accept my retake GCSEs and just throw my application out completely.

The reasons I think my GCSES being so bad is because in y10 my mum and dad broke up and moved out and my brother left also at the same time because of all the arguments and complications, then my mum decided she wanted to move to Wales and they had different curriculum therefore i had to choose different GCSE's and start over from fresh (I was also suffering from depression and needed councelling). Before my parents broke up and the move I was top of my class for all my subjects all the way through school since I started and I was on track for A's and B's.

can anyone shed any light on whether I can do my GCSEs in college and if unis will accept GCSE retakes if I got high grades in them, and also any other routes that could help me get to uni and study veterinary medicine.

Any advice welcomed.
Reply 1
Original post by SophiaW
In a few years I would like to go to uni to study veterinary science or medicine, but I never took A-levels, and I don't currently have the GCSE levels required to get into uni even if I did do well in my a-levels.

GCSES I have
Maths -C
Maths statistics -C
English Literature -C
English Language -D
PE -Pass (BTEC)
Drama -C
Double science -D

I was thinking about going to college and redoing some GCSEs to get higher grades in English and maths and then take chemistry and biology as extra and be aiming to get A*/A's in the 4 subjects then progress onto a levels then progress onto uni, but I'm not even sure uni will accept my retake GCSEs and just throw my application out completely.

The reasons I think my GCSES being so bad is because in y10 my mum and dad broke up and moved out and my brother left also at the same time because of all the arguments and complications, then my mum decided she wanted to move to Wales and they had different curriculum therefore i had to choose different GCSE's and start over from fresh (I was also suffering from depression and needed councelling). Before my parents broke up and the move I was top of my class for all my subjects all the way through school since I started and I was on track for A's and B's.

can anyone shed any light on whether I can do my GCSEs in college and if unis will accept GCSE retakes if I got high grades in them, and also any other routes that could help me get to uni and study veterinary medicine.

Any advice welcomed.

Have you looked at the gateway courses, they are for people who have been disadvantaged, you would need A-levels but with lower grades and there are criteria that you would need to check that applied to you before you applied. I can't remember which unis offer them but I think RVC and Liverpool do and some of the others may do them as well.
You could also do a btec.

I'm fairly sure there are places that adults/older students can take GCSEs but I'm not sure in a uni would accept them. The best thing to do would be call up admissions tutors and ask about retakes.

When you apply make sure you circumstances are included in your reference as mitigating circumstances and the admissions team will take them into account.

There is a graduate route but I have friends in my year that tend to struggle a bit due to the funding issue and would only recommend it as a last resort.

You haven't mentioned work experience but you will also need to show you have complete weeks of placements in various establishments: kennels, stables, zoo, vet practice, dairy farm etc. basically as much as possible. Liverpool want 10 weeks minimum but the others have lower requirements. However this is a guideline and the people who get interviews and offers will usually have more than this, most of my friends at Liverpool have 15-20 weeks, people who have taken gap years tend to have more.

I would suggest looking at the websites for the vet schools and phoning/e-mailing admissions tutors with any questions about retakes etc.
:smile:
Reply 2
Hello I have emailed the unis asking if they accept retakes, but not sure how long they will take to get back to me, I'm looking to get a job in something animal related part time while I study in a kennels or cattery or something similar, what btec could I take that would help me get into veterinary medicine I didn't know there was any I'm not sure that the gateway courses would apply to me sadly :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by SophiaW
Hello I have emailed the unis asking if they accept retakes, but not sure how long they will take to get back to me, I'm looking to get a job in something animal related part time while I study in a kennels or cattery or something similar, what btec could I take that would help me get into veterinary medicine I didn't know there was any I'm not sure that the gateway courses would apply to me sadly :frown:

They would usually be fairly quick. I think animal management as a btec is accepted but I think they ask for an As as well so you might want to look at specific entry requirements for the course.You can usually find pretty detailed ones on the webpages,this is the link to the Liverpool one:
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-science-bvsc/entry-requirements/

At Liverpool lots of people struggle to have a normal part time job and have enough time to study, socialize and sleep. People with jobs tend to be bar staff on really flexible shifts (manager offers shifts and you say yes or no) or doing part time tutoring.
Reply 4
Original post by Tenrec
They would usually be fairly quick. I think animal management as a btec is accepted but I think they ask for an As as well so you might want to look at specific entry requirements for the course.You can usually find pretty detailed ones on the webpages,this is the link to the Liverpool one:
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-science-bvsc/entry-requirements/

At Liverpool lots of people struggle to have a normal part time job and have enough time to study, socialize and sleep. People with jobs tend to be bar staff on really flexible shifts (manager offers shifts and you say yes or no) or doing part time tutoring.

it says on the website that I need 7 GCSEs is that as well as the BTEC animal management do you reckon? also do you think i would have to retake and also take some extra GCSEs getting into the animal management course and passing it with DDD is no problem just the GCSEs when applying that I think would be the problem D: and that's what I'm worried about we do functional skills in the BTEC course that I would be doing that I was told is the equivalent of GCSE but again I'm not sure if they gain any points or not.

I want to do this so bad and I'm willing to work so hard just I think I'm screwed because I messed up on my GCSEs the first time :frown:

Thank you again for all your help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SophiaW
it says on the website that I need 7 GCSEs is that as well as the BTEC animal management do you reckon? also do you think i would have to retake and also take some extra GCSEs getting into the animal management course and passing it with DDD is no problem just the GCSEs when applying that I think would be the problem D: and that's what I'm worried about we do functional skills in the BTEC course that I would be doing that I was told is the equivalent of GCSE but again I'm not sure if they gain any points or not.

I want to do this so bad and I'm willing to work so hard just I think I'm screwed because I messed up on my GCSEs the first time :frown:

Thank you again for all your help :smile:

I would think you would probably need GCSEs and a BTEC, since most people would do a btec at college but Its best to ask the admissions offices as I'm not really sure. If you can find a phone number and ring them you might get answers quicker and be able to explain your situation.
Original post by SophiaW

GCSES I have
Maths -C
Maths statistics -C
English Literature -C
English Language -D
PE -Pass (BTEC)
Drama -C
Double science -D

Any advice welcomed.

If you received counselling then you have a documented reason for not performing well which is good. I had health problems in sixth form and repeated a year of sixth form as my A level grades weren't good enough (I didn't even sit my chemistry exam); as my problem was documented (doctors notes were sent to my school to explain my absences) my sixth form wrote this in my uni reference. I was considered like any other applicant as I had extenuating circumstances - I was NOT considered a 're-take' student (not all unis accept retakes). You will still need to to probably retake your GCSEs since they are a foundation for studying A levels / other accepted qualifications (but check with the unis) but you should not be disadvantaged for getting bad grades the first time round.

Good luck!
Reply 7
I go to a college and I know that, say if you go down the route of doing a btec you can quite easily retake your GCSEs along side doing your btec. Even if you do a levels at a college sixth form you can still retake some of your GCSEs but this would be more work, balancing gcse while also studying as levels, at least with a btec it is all coursework so you don't have to worry about exams! Hope this helps! I go to a college so this is probably different to say a school that has a sixth form btw:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SilverstarDJ
If you received counselling then you have a documented reason for not performing well which is good. I had health problems in sixth form and repeated a year of sixth form as my A level grades weren't good enough (I didn't even sit my chemistry exam); as my problem was documented (doctors notes were sent to my school to explain my absences) my sixth form wrote this in my uni reference. I was considered like any other applicant as I had extenuating circumstances - I was NOT considered a 're-take' student (not all unis accept retakes). You will still need to to probably retake your GCSEs since they are a foundation for studying A levels / other accepted qualifications (but check with the unis) but you should not be disadvantaged for getting bad grades the first time round.

Good luck!

Hello, I had counselling in school and also with the nhs and was prescribed anti depressants, that gives me hope!! Thank you so much for your help x
Hey,

So with a BTEC, you still need the GCSEs required, so you would have to re-do these. The requirements at each uni is different.

I did a BTEC, I wouldn't say it was an 'easier' option, but it is all coursework based. I wouldn't advise trying to do GCSEs alongside the BTEC however. I did a national diploma in animal management, and you have to get DDD - course takes 2 years to complete.

With the BTEC, some of the uni's also require an As level (I'm not able to quote which ones or what uni's without looking however - check on the university websites)

Not all the universities accept the BTEC - so check first before you apply anywhere. I know for a fact Liverpool and Nottingham take it, but again you'll need an As with it.
Have you looked at the Year 0 course at Liverpool at all? Not sure of how long you've been out of education but might be an option?
Reply 11
Original post by Melora ^.^=
Have you looked at the Year 0 course at Liverpool at all? Not sure of how long you've been out of education but might be an option?

Hello no I haven't, I have been in and out of education because my of mental health but I haven't completed a year of education since 2014 x
Might be worth having a look at it, or emailing Liverpool to ask?

Alternatively, Birkbeck in London does a CertHE in Life Sciences in Subjects Allied to Medicine, it covers Chemistry and Biology and is accepted by the RVC for vet med. I am currently doing it and Bristol, Nottingham, Surrey and Liverpool have also said they will consider it. You have to achieve distinctions in all the Chemistry and Biology units for vet med. You can do it over one year or two.
Reply 13
Might be worth having a look at it, or emailing Liverpool to ask?

Alternatively, Birkbeck in London does a CertHE in Life Sciences in Subjects Allied to Medicine, it covers Chemistry and Biology and is accepted by the RVC for vet med. I am currently doing it and Bristol, Nottingham, Surrey and Liverpool have also said they will consider it. You have to achieve distinctions in all the Chemistry and Biology units for vet med. You can do it over one year or two.

What grades do I need to achieve to get into it? I can't really see it on the website it sound like something I'd like to do though!!
Original post by SophiaW
What grades do I need to achieve to get into it? I can't really see it on the website it sound like something I'd like to do though!!

You don't need formal qualifications, it is designed for students who don't have A Levels. However, as you only left school two years ago, I would advise emailing the admissions departments to check that is ok.

Here is Liverpool; https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-to-health-studies-year-0/entry-requirements/

Here is Birkbeck:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2016/undergraduate/programmes/UCHLIFSC_C/
You don't need formal qualifications, it is designed for students who don't have A Levels. However, as you only left school two years ago, I would advise emailing the admissions departments to check that is ok.

Here is Liverpool; https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-to-health-studies-year-0/entry-requirements/

Here is Birkbeck:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2016/undergraduate/programmes/UCHLIFSC_C/

Still need 5 GCSEs grade B for Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Lizziefickling
Still need 5 GCSEs grade B for Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm have to redo my GCSEs anyway then, so I might stay on the track I'm already on
Look at Nottingham and RVCs gateway courses too. If you don't meet the entry requirements of that, then making up your GCSEs and A levels to the required amount is your only real option :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending