The Student Room Group

Medicine gap year applicants with 4 rejections 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by UnknownAnon
Its surprising that people are rejected with such great grades! I could only dream about 3A* :redface:

But I think the common thing here is the interviews. I do think if you fail the first time post interview, that you should try again, improving upon that. Tbh it just depends on a bit of luck too, who's interviewing you, how you're feeling on the day, if it's mmi rather than panel.

Good luck for everyone trying to get in!

P.S If you need interview tips, I'd be happy to help :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, need some help for interviews. Got all interviews this time round and I thought interviews went well, so I'm trying to be more orginal and think about unique answers.
Apply in Europe, you are more likely to get an offer there.
Original post by st nick
HEY
I've not just got 4 rejections but 5 ( biomed at Edinburgh if your wondering)
Stats :s-smilie:cottish applicant
5 As Higher
3As Predicted advanced higher
UKCAT 2710 Band 1
Rejected from
Edinburgh - Waiting list top 250 - top third in academics and personal statement, 3rd octile UKCAT, Band 1 SJT
Aberdeen - Waiting list screwed
Glasgow - up
St.Andrews - all 3 interviews probably, sigh, thought I was confident and I tried giving good answers :frown:Maybe I need to be more personal and unique when answering??

Original post by st nick
Hey, need some help for interviews. Got all interviews this time round and I thought interviews went well, so I'm trying to be more orginal and think about unique answers.

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you didn't get into University this time round. Regarding interview help, lots of students we've worked with have found our free Interview Question Bank helpful. It's filled with worked questions on every topic.

Also, check out this thread on The Student Room on MMI questions. It's got lots of advice for specific university interviews.

We also have free blogs written by med students, some of which are also present on The Student Room! Simply filter the blogs by 'Interview' and have a browse.

If you're looking for more unique answers, have a look at the Oxbridge Interview blog - it might give you a little bit more insight into how to think outside of the box.

Finally, if you only just heard that all of your applications were unsuccessful, remember to not give up! You got interviews, which means you have the potential to get those offers! It's just that you need a little practice. We've got our fingers crossed for you!

If you're taking a gap year, and are in need a little motivation, check out this blog How to go from 4 rejections to 4 offers. It was written by a student we met here on The Student Room, who was in a similar situation to you last year. Now, she's off to Med School having boosted her application after a gap year!

We hope this helps, and good luck with it all!

The Medic Portal
Reply 23
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you didn't get into University this time round. Regarding interview help, lots of students we've worked with have found our free Interview Question Bank helpful. It's filled with worked questions on every topic.

Also, check out this thread on The Student Room on MMI questions. It's got lots of advice for specific university interviews.

We also have free blogs written by med students, some of which are also present on The Student Room! Simply filter the blogs by 'Interview' and have a browse.

If you're looking for more unique answers, have a look at the Oxbridge Interview blog - it might give you a little bit more insight into how to think outside of the box.

Finally, if you only just heard that all of your applications were unsuccessful, remember to not give up! You got interviews, which means you have the potential to get those offers! It's just that you need a little practice. We've got our fingers crossed for you!

If you're taking a gap year, and are in need a little motivation, check out this blog How to go from 4 rejections to 4 offers. It was written by a student we met here on The Student Room, who was in a similar situation to you last year. Now, she's off to Med School having boosted her application after a gap year!

We hope this helps, and good luck with it all!

The Medic Portal

Thanks, I might give the mock interviews a go although it is a bit expensive.
Original post by st nick

Did you practice for your interviews? What books did you have? And were they MMI or panel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Did you practice for your interviews? What books did you have? And were they MMI or panel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I practised with about everyone I knew, Ph.D professor, English teacher, Drama teacher, friends, career advisors and I also joined a speaking club to improve my confidence in speaking so that wasn't the problem. I read Medcial school interviews by Olivier picard and Succeed in your medical school interviews, writing out each and every question and going over them before the interviews. 2 MMI, 1 Panel. I think maybe I am a bit rambley in my answers and maybe glance away from the interviewer when I'm thinking sometimes.
Original post by st nick
I practised with about everyone I knew, Ph.D professor, English teacher, Drama teacher, friends, career advisors and I also joined a speaking club to improve my confidence in speaking so that wasn't the problem. I read Medcial school interviews by Olivier picard and Succeed in your medical school interviews, writing out each and every question and going over them before the interviews. 2 MMI, 1 Panel. I think maybe I am a bit rambley in my answers and maybe glance away from the interviewer when I'm thinking sometimes.

Maybe that was your problem, that you practiced too much. It can sometimes make you sound rehearsed which is definitely not what they want. I practiced with only two people, and read a couple of questions from the ISC medical school interview book. That's all I did.

Rambely isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you still mention all the necessary points they're looking. Interviews want to get a sense that you know what a career in medicine entails and can handle. So the best answers reflect on your experiences. For example, in the work experience questions, say what you saw and what skills you observed (for example teamwork) Then say how you've developed your own teamwork skills. Hope that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I can now join this club!
Stats: 7 A*s and 4As at GCSE
AAABC at AS in biology, chemistry, religious studies, critical thinking and maths
Predicted A*AAA in bio, Chem, RS and EPQ
UKCAT: 2710
Rejected pre interview: Cardiff, Bristol and Nottingham ( being one point below cut off for both Notts and Cardiff 😭)
Rejected post interview from Leicester
Gap year here I come!
Reply 28
Maybe that was your problem, that you practiced too much. It can sometimes make you sound rehearsed which is definitely not what they want. I practiced with only two people, and read a couple of questions from the ISC medical school interview book. That's all I did.

Rambely isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you still mention all the necessary points they're looking. Interviews want to get a sense that you know what a career in medicine entails and can handle. So the best answers reflect on your experiences. For example, in the work experience questions, say what you saw and what skills you observed (for example teamwork) Then say how you've developed your own teamwork skills. Hope that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh thanks. I kindda knew that people don't normally preparethat much for interviews but I really wanted an offer so I tried to do all Icould. The other thing is that preparation almost acts as a confidence booster,something that gives me confort, so I often feel pessimistic when I don'trevise for something. I tried to reflect on my experiences and how they would makeme into a good doctor. I will hone my communication skills during my Gap year.
Hey, sorry to hear about the rejections, it has shocked me as a lot of you have awesome grades and you are capable of getting in academically. The fact that you have gotten to the interview stage demonstrates that you are what medical schools look for, it might be just a matter of conveying it during the interview.

I agree with someone who said a lot of luck is involved in medicine. I am a gap year student and when I went for interview practice with 2 medical students, I was told that applying with 1 or 2 gap years is not uncommon. They have worked with people who got in the 2nd, 3rd or even the 5th time around!

Graduate entry to medicine does give you advantages as you will be more mature and will know how to learn effectively but is a lot more competitive, and the UKCAT cut-off is a lot higher. That is something to take into consideration and I would actually recommend taking a second gap year if medicine is what you really want to do. Doing a degree that is similar to medicine but isn't medicine can also be emotionally draining. There are a few people on the Hull-york thread who got in after taking multiple gap years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Get some more work experience and re-apply. Lots of folk get in at second or third attempt.

Or, have a serious think about doing something else with your life. Could you get equal fulfillment from a parallel career like Medical Science, Physiology, Pharmacology, Neuroscience etc? Look carefully at these courses/careers before you just dismiss this as 'not Medicine' - they could lead you into a thousand different career areas that you haven't even heard of.
Hi guys, sorry to hear about all the rejections!

I've just been rejected from all four unis I applied to (first year round) (three pre interview and one post interview) and I was just wondering what sort of things you all did/are planning on doing during your gap years?

I'm hoping to reapply in October and I've got two weeks of work experience lined up in the summer holidays, but I was wondering what sort of things you did September to October that you may have been able to talk about in your personal statements? Or what you did for the rest of the year that you could talk about in interviews or just general work/volunteering/stuff to fill a gap year up that might help for studying medicine at uni that you enjoyed or found useful!

Thanks!
Original post by jessiecoo
Hi guys, sorry to hear about all the rejections!

I've just been rejected from all four unis I applied to (first year round) (three pre interview and one post interview) and I was just wondering what sort of things you all did/are planning on doing during your gap years?

I'm hoping to reapply in October and I've got two weeks of work experience lined up in the summer holidays, but I was wondering what sort of things you did September to October that you may have been able to talk about in your personal statements? Or what you did for the rest of the year that you could talk about in interviews or just general work/volunteering/stuff to fill a gap year up that might help for studying medicine at uni that you enjoyed or found useful!

Thanks!

Hello :smile:

We're sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, but it's really great that you got an interview! That means that you have what it takes to get in, you just need to refine your interview skills a little bit!

Although you didn't mention this in your post above, have you requested feedback from all of the places you applied to? This is absolutely essential so you know exactly where to improve your application.

You've got almost a year to boost your application in every aspect, which is a really great opportunity. As you mentioned, now is the time to secure long, valuable medical work experience.

We actually met a student here on TSR who applied last year, was rejected by all four unis, then reapplied this year and got four offers. She wrote a blog for us here:

How to turn four rejections into four offers!

She outlines what she did in her gap year - you might find it useful!

We hope the above helps,
The Medic Portal
Hello :smile:

We're sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, but it's really great that you got an interview! That means that you have what it takes to get in, you just need to refine your interview skills a little bit!

Although you didn't mention this in your post above, have you requested feedback from all of the places you applied to? This is absolutely essential so you know exactly where to improve your application.

You've got almost a year to boost your application in every aspect, which is a really great opportunity. As you mentioned, now is the time to secure long, valuable medical work experience.

We actually met a student here on TSR who applied last year, was rejected by all four unis, then reapplied this year and got four offers. She wrote a blog for us here:

How to turn four rejections into four offers!

She outlines what she did in her gap year - you might find it useful!

We hope the above helps,
The Medic Portal

Hey, thanks for the link!

And yes I've emailed them back today so I'm still waiting for replies at the moment and I'm hoping that might give me a bit more of an idea of what to do on my gap year!

But if anyone else has any suggestions of things to do it would be greatly appreciated as I've been juggling some ideas around but none of them seem to be quite right if you know what I mean :/

Original post by jessiecoo
Hey, thanks for the link!

And yes I've emailed them back today so I'm still waiting for replies at the moment and I'm hoping that might give me a bit more of an idea of what to do on my gap year!

But if anyone else has any suggestions of things to do it would be greatly appreciated as I've been juggling some ideas around but none of them seem to be quite right if you know what I mean :/

Great! Yes, their feedback will almost certainly help to give you some ideas for gap year stuff.

Make sure you don't give up on getting feedback from them - if the admissions offices take a while to respond/don't respond at all after a week, give them a call and chase them!

Good luck & we hope you get some more great advice from other TSR users :smile:

The Medic Portal

Make sure you don't give up on getting feedback from them - if the admissions offices take a while to respond/don't respond at all after a week, give them a call and chase them!

This is a silly bit of 'advice' - please don't do it.

All University Admissions Offices are busy processing final offers - and people who have already been rejected are obviously not a priority. You will get your feedback when they are ready.
Reply 36
Original post by Squishy•
Yeah, loads of people. My friends doing it in Bulgaria this year

Hey im really interested in doing medicine abroad, but i need a bit of help and clarification on certain things - if its possible, could you please pm me, thank you very much
Original post by FT12
Hey im really interested in doing medicine abroad, but i need a bit of help and clarification on certain things - if its possible, could you please pm me, thank you very much

sure private message me
Its surprising that people are rejected with such great grades! I could only dream about 3A* :redface:

But I think the common thing here is the interviews. I do think if you fail the first time post interview, that you should try again, improving upon that. Tbh it just depends on a bit of luck too, who's interviewing you, how you're feeling on the day, if it's mmi rather than panel.

Good luck for everyone trying to get in!

P.S If you need interview tips, I'd be happy to help :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find your MMIs??
Original post by anaMed17w
How did you find your MMIs??

I definitely preferred MMI over panel (not that I had any panel interviews), because if I messed up one station, I could redeem myself in the other ones. The biggest tip I got was that in the break between stations, forget about your previous station, even if you messed up royally. Just focus on your next one. The MMI's themselves weren't too bad. For both mmi's, they pretty much had your standard stations, and the interviewers were really nice as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest