The Student Room Group

Help an American understand Oxford Courses (PLEASE HELP!!)

Being an American I don't really have anyone that knows anything about the UK educational system. :frown:

The AP courses I am taking this year places me in really good spot for three really interesting but different courses. I am mainly interested in History & Politics obviously, and less in History and PPE. So I am looking at admissions once receiving an interview because the vast majority of Americans get an interview and I have the resources to fly out to Oxford and not skype :cheeky:.

My background is mostly tailored for H&P / History since I have completed or in the process of completing all of my AP tests on history and political courses (none on philosophy and economics).

What I truly don't understand is that PPE is arguably the hardest course to get into but 34% of those interviewed receive admissions. Meanwhile, only 32% of those interviewed for History got in. And most surprisingly only 22% of those who interviewed for H&P achieved admissions. Q (1) Why are more of those who are interviewed for PPE, accepted?

Q (2) Why are so few of those interviewed for H&P accepted? I would love to apply for H&P but I am terrified about the low interview success rate for H&P!

Q (3) This question I am just puzzled by, how come so many UK politicians studied PPE at Oxford? Is the size of the program bigger than History so there are far more alumni? It seems so weird that so many powerful people took the same course at the same university. In America, the vast majority of politicians went to their respective state schools only a select few went to Harvard/Stanford/Yale/Princeton/MIT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why is it obvious that you would be interested in PPE? Am I missing something?

I'm also not sure what you want to know, since you haven't asked any questions...
Well..what's your question?
Original post by Greatleysteg

I'm also not sure what you want to know, since you haven't asked any questions...

:ditto:

Spoiler

OP: if you ask some direct questions, then we will be in a better position to help :smile:
It's always harder to get accepted onto a joint schools course, because you have to impress two different interview panels from different faculties and they're often looking for different things. PPE is slightly better integrated than other joint schools, of which HistPol is notorious (English and History being another).

Unless something has changed, I'm actually fairly sure that PPE isn't the hardest course to get onto by any measure.

Oxford doesn't offer Politics as a standalone subject, so applicants essentially face the decision between PPE and HistPol. Since Cambridge doesn't offer Politics either, but weird hybrid courses, it also doesn't split the Oxbridge pool in the same way as other subjects. This explains why you see so many politicians going through Oxford PPE.

Again, though, it's worth mentioning that almost as many politicians read Law, not PPE. What courses would you expect politicians to study?
(edited 7 years ago)
So few are accepted into History and Politics because there are barely any places available iirc compared to other subjects.

Also I don't know where you got your stats from but the PPE admissions rate is 17%, not 34%.

As for why so many UK politicians studied PPE at Oxford, you have to take into account that the entire UK is the size of Oregon so the total number of universities is much less than in the US, and hence the number of 'prestigious' universities is much lower. As Oxford's PPE course is generally the best and most prestigious, then obviously this is where people who aim to be top governmental officials flock to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Justmoll28
Well..what's your question?

Why are far less H&P applicants who are interviewed accepted vs PPE applicants who were interviewed?
Original post by Greatleysteg

Why are far less H&P applicants who are interviewed accepted vs PPE applicants who were interviewed?

Original post by JRKinder
So few are accepted into History and Politics because there are barely any places available iirc compared to other subjects.

Also I don't know where you got your stats from but the PPE admissions rate is 17%, not 34%.

As for why so many UK politicians studied PPE at Oxford, you have to take into account that the entire UK is the size of Oregon so the total number of universities is much less than in the US, and hence the number of 'prestigious' universities is much lower. As Oxford's PPE course is generally the best and most prestigious, then obviously this is where people who aim to be top governmental officials flock to.

Thanks! I meant that 34% of those who were interviewed were accepted.
Original post by Americanballa

There are far fewer places for History & Politics than PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
There are far fewer places for History & Politics than PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that makes sense. Do you know if it easier to simply apply for History or PPE than H&P given the far more larger amount of seats available?
Oh, that makes sense. Do you know if it easier to simply apply for History or PPE than H&P given the far more larger amount of seats available?

Honestly, apply for whichever subject you think you'd enjoy the most. Don't try to "game" the admissions system because if you apply for something you don't actually enjoy and end up getting in, you're not going to be a happy camper for 3/ 4 years. Unlike US colleges, changing subjects is a long and often difficult process.

If you like H&P, apply to H&P. I believe that the tutors also have discretion to admit you solely for History if you apply to H&P (as is the case for most joint schools).

Also, the colleges usually aim to interview about 3 applicants per place, so ~33% of interviewees getting admitted is about normal.

I also caution against using statistics to judge whether a subject is "easier" to gain admission, because it says nothing about the quality of the applicants. For instance, Classics has a higher admit rate than my subject (Law), but had I applied for the former, I probably wouldn't have gotten in because A. I suck at languages and B. I have zero interest in that subject.
So I am looking at admissions once receiving an interview because the vast majority of Americans get an interview...

What makes you think that?

What I truly don't understand is that PPE is arguably the hardest course to get into

It unquestionably isn't.

but 34% of those interviewed receive admissions. Meanwhile, only 32% of those interviewed for History got in. And most surprisingly only 22% of those who interviewed for H&P achieved admissions. Q (1) Why are more of those who are interviewed for PPE, accepted?

They normally interview 3-3.5 per place. Joint schools tend to interview more as they have two subjects to assess.

Q (3) This question I am just puzzled by, how come so many UK politicians studied PPE at Oxford?

Cultural difference regarding the type of people we tend to elect, I guess. For example, I can't see George Bush getting very far in any election outside of the US!
Thanks everyone for helping out!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest