The Student Room Group

Feminists Vs Islam (women are disrespected in islam?)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
I'm quite happy being an Agnostic :smile:

Agnosticism doesn't equal salvation.

Jesus Christ however does.
Original post by WBZ144
People tend to address what affects them (I'm not saying it's right but that's just how most people are). That is why Western feminists will focus on issues affecting them while feminists living in Islamic countries will focus on the patriarchal structures of their own society. Not every feminist is the same.

I think feminists should focus on helping those that need our help the most and these people may not be our neighbours. They could be from completely different countries but feminism, in my opinion, isn't restricted to one country. However, I do agree with you in that people do tend to focus more on things that affect them. :smile:
Original post by Squishy•
Watch this video:
[video="youtube;pFvw4XvVpOA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFvw4XvVpOA[/video]

english, mother****er
Original post by BrokenLife
I'm a Muslim female and I've drifted away from Islam mainly due to Islamic and cultural sexist ideas. The ideas of inheritence and a few others do not make any sense to me and are rather ridiculous.

Personally, I think it's due to the pure lack of knowledge and understanding we unlearned Muslims have. My best advice is keep these questions to yourself, research through Islamic scholars and their interpretations, and have hope. :smile:
Original post by Legendary Quest
I think feminists should focus on helping those that need our help the most and these people may not be our neighbours. They could be from completely different countries but feminism, in my opinion, isn't restricted to one country. However, I do agree with you in that people do tend to focus more on things that affect them. :smile:

You're right, I think that the best thing that feminists in the West and other progressive countries can do for women living in oppressive situations is raise awareness and support the local feminists (the only ones who can make the real difference IMO). Having lived in Saudi Arabia I'm very aware of what life is like for women over there. For a lot of Western women it would all sound quite unreal though, I think that they are at loss when it comes to addressing these things.
Reply 25
Original post by SuperStar#7

All religion is nonsense mate.

Do you feel offended by the fact that Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet instead of the Son of God?
Original post by champ_mc99
Personally, I think it's due to the pure lack of knowledge and understanding we unlearned Muslims have. My best advice is keep these questions to yourself, research through Islamic scholars and their interpretations, and have hope. :smile:

Trust me, the more knowledge that is gained, the harder it gets for a sceptical Muslim to accept it all. And I mean reading the scriptures and the opinions of the four imams, not the sugar-coated version of some moderate sheikh.
Original post by Bazzel
All religion is nonsense mate.

Says you.
Do you feel offended by the fact that Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet instead of the Son of God?

Not offended.

Just bewildered how their so called Jesus isn't recorded anywhere in history and is only supported by a book that claimed ants could talk, while the Christian Jesus was recorded by ancient and even modern historians to be a factual being.
Reply 30
Says you.

I mentioned the indoctrination of Muslim women earlier, guess their not the only ones.
Original post by WBZ144
You're right, I think that the best thing that feminists in the West and other progressive countries can do for women living in oppressive situations is raise awareness and support the local feminists (the only ones who can make the real difference IMO). Having lived in Saudi Arabia I'm very aware of what life is like for women over there. For a lot of Western women it would all sound quite unreal though, I think that they are at loss when it comes to addressing these things.

Yes, I suppose many don't know how to address the problems. I agree - we need to raise awareness and we need to give the women that live there the tools they need to make a difference. Because it is them who can make the biggest difference but we can definitely help them take the first few steps. It's sad when I see people who talk as though, even though they themselves are feminists, what happens in other countries isn't really their problem. I fully understand where they're coming from but I just can't agree. As a feminist myself, I want to help women everywhere :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by BrokenLife
I'm a Muslim female and I've drifted away from Islam mainly due to Islamic and cultural sexist ideas. The ideas of inheritence and a few others do not make any sense to me and are rather ridiculous.

Have you bothered to look into the reasoning behind those?
Yes, I suppose many don't know how to address the problems. I agree - we need to raise awareness and we need to give the women that live there the tools they need to make a difference. Because it is them who can make the biggest difference but we can definitely help them take the first few steps. It's sad when I see people who talk as though, even though they themselves are feminists, what happens in other countries isn't really their problem. I fully understand where they're coming from but I just can't agree. As a feminist myself, I want to help women everywhere :smile:

You should start by raising awareness to the most oppressive society for women in the world.

The Middle eastern society.

I would honestly donate to any attempt for a western woman to raise awareness to the oppression of women in the middle east.
Not offended.

Just bewildered how their so called Jesus isn't recorded anywhere in history and is only supported by a book that claimed ants could talk, while the Christian Jesus was recorded by ancient and even modern historians to be a factual being.

Cool.
Hmmm... In historical context, what's the difference between the Jesus that was recorded by historians and the Jesus claimed by the Qur'an? Why aren't they the same person.?
Original post by HAnwar
Have you bothered to look into the reasoning behind those?

Please can you tell me the "reasoning" behind this

Sahih al-Bukhari 2658—The Prophet said: "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said: "Yes." He said: "This is because of the deficiency of her mind."
You should start by raising awareness to the most oppressive society for women in the world.

The Middle eastern society.

I would honestly donate to any attempt for a western woman to raise awareness to the oppression of women in the middle east.

I agree but it isn't just the Middle East. It's also Africa and it is trickling into the Far East as well. What's happening is sad but I work with Amnesty Intl to try and raise awareness on these kinds of issues. If you are genuine then you could have a look at the work they do. :smile:
Cool.
Hmmm... In historical context, what's the difference between the Jesus that was recorded by historians and the Jesus claimed by the Qur'an? Why aren't they the same person.?

The Islamic Jesus apparently, never called himself the son of God.

Never had people worship or invoke him (Muslims claim his followers were muslim)

Never got crucified, Never resurrected, amongst many other differences.

That Jesus, has never been recorded to be real by any historian ever.

That Jesus can only be found in the Qur'an.
Original post by WBZ144
Trust me, the more knowledge that is gained, the harder it gets for a sceptical Muslim to accept it all. And I mean reading the scriptures and the opinions of the four imams, not the sugar-coated version of some moderate sheikh.

Maybe... But I meant it's better than reading one verse, taking it out of context and making rash decisions from there, as much as leaving the religion. When did you leave, if you don't mind me asking?
I agree but it isn't just the Middle East. It's also Africa and it is trickling into the Far East as well. What's happening is sad but I work with Amnesty Intl to try and raise awareness on these kinds of issues. If you are genuine then you could have a look at the work they do. :smile:

I'm well aware of the oppression in Africa.

Like FGM in Eritrea and the slavery and lack of education of women and the in Mauritania.

What I meant was that the Middle east should be your number one priority, because in Africa, most of the countries that oppress women only do it because of culture or lack of education.

Middle eastern countries do it because their supposed holy book encourages it.

I'll look up Amnesty intl right now.

Quick Reply

Latest