The Student Room Group

What made you realise you're not special & the world owes you nothing?

Realised I wasnt special after exams at end of first year at uni - up until that point had always been top of my classes, but at uni I was just average.

Realised the world owes me nothing and everything you want you have to get by working your ass off through various competitive internships throughout uni.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My parents.
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
My parents.

lols, dont parents typically do the opposite?....ie. make you think you are special

What did your parents do to you?
The fact that there are 7 billion people and counting in the world
I aint a special snowflake :flower2:
The fact that I'm willing to work for what I want. Being handed it on a plate would take all the fun out of life.
Reply 5
never thought i was anything special

average at best
Looking for a Saturday job
Original post by Black Cobra
Realised I wasnt special after exams at end of first year at uni - up until that point had always been top of my classes, but at uni I was just average.

Realised the world owes me nothing and everything you want you have to get by working your ass off through various competitive internships throughout uni.

i realised this in year 7 when no-one cared for me at boarding school and i got bullied for 2 years, fun times fun times
Reply 8
Probably by the start of 3rd year. People had started applying for graduate jobs and it was clear that the huge majority were going to be disappointed.
Reply 9
Original post by toonervoustotalk
The fact that there are 7 billion people and counting in the world
I aint a special snowflake :flower2:

But the fact that you are 1/7bn+ does make you special because they're is no one else in the 7bn+ out there exactly like you.
So you are special. :colondollar:
This thread is sad.
Original post by Black Cobra
lols, dont parents typically do the opposite?....ie. make you think you are special

What did your parents do to you?

Let's just say they have a unique parenting style. :tongue:

They weren't bad or anything, but I'm one of 5 and they always made all of us work for what we wanted.
Original post by Moonstruck16
The fact that I'm willing to work for what I want. Being handed it on a plate would take all the fun out of life.

Agreed! The blood, sweat and tears only make the success sweeter in the end.

Sometimes I wonder what it feels like for the people who just have it all from birth, knowing that you don't really have to work towards anything because you have it all to fall back on.

Some security is fine, too much does take the fun out of life!
I am special :hand:

Although I agree the world owes me nothing. I've never believed that it has. Nothing worth having can be achieved without hard work.
Original post by aamirac
But the fact that you are 1/7bn+ does make you special because they're is no one else in the 7bn+ out there exactly like you.
So you are special. :colondollar:

:hugs: that was beautiful :heart:
Hasn't happened to me yet.
after year 13
Reply 17
Though I already knew this, it hit me hard during yr9 when I sat by myself on a bench inside a busy shopping centre, and observed the people around me.

Probably one of the best life lesson we should all learn.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Agreed! The blood, sweat and tears only make the success sweeter in the end.

Sometimes I wonder what it feels like for the people who just have it all from birth, knowing that you don't really have to work towards anything because you have it all to fall back on.

Some security is fine, too much does take the fun out of life!

I kinda have had it all from birth. But the thing I want now I have to work for (sport related). I mean it's all going well so far but there have been bad days. The good days outweigh them though and I've learnt so much from the bad days. Life is good right now :biggrin:
I realised that I was nothing special when I first moved to sixth form and this guy beat me in a maths test. I got so annoyed and all but after a few days I thought, how stupid am I?

He's achieved a higher mark, good for him. If anything, I should aspire to be like him. And besides, it's not about being the best, it's about doing your best. Obtaining the highest grade because it makes you look the best compared to the rest reeks of narcissism. Work hard and get the grade for yourself, for you to get further. How others have done makes little to no impact on your success.

Now people get higher than me on tests left, right and centre and I genuinely don't give a crap :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest