The Student Room Group

What made you realise you're not special & the world owes you nothing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toonervoustotalk
:hugs: that was beautiful :heart:

:hugs: Thank you, I believe that all people should feel special one way or another. :innocent:
I realised I wasn't special after AS, I realised if you want something you have to truly work for it and if you haven't worked hard enough for something and failed there is no point crying about it, because no one owes you anything and it is your fault. You have to get up and fix yourself and your mistakes.

But admittedly on realising this, I have become hugely pessimistic...but atleast it's realistic, so meh...
(edited 8 years ago)
whoops, haven't realised this yet
:getmecoat:
Original post by Serine Soul
I realised that I was nothing special when I first moved to sixth form and this guy beat me in a maths test. I got so annoyed and all but after a few days I thought, how stupid am I?

He's achieved a higher mark, good for him. If anything, I should aspire to be like him. And besides, it's not about being the best, it's about doing your best. Obtaining the highest grade because it makes you look the best compared to the rest reeks of narcissism. Work hard and get the grade for yourself, for you to get further. How others have done makes little to no impact on your success.

Now people get higher than me on tests left, right and centre and I genuinely don't give a crap :lol:

beautiful, my little beverage

Original post by samina_ay
after year 13

has Uni been a wake up call or something?
Reply 24
When I saw a pack of Ibuprofen

and began contemplating about overdosing on them

just to end it there and then.
Original post by bulletprooph

has Uni been a wake up call or something?

no, a levels were actually. the both years were horrible, don't ever wanna go back, haha
I am special. I was born to do great things and be successful. I don't care what anyone else thinks.
Original post by Moonstruck16
The fact that I'm willing to work for what I want. Being handed it on a plate would take all the fun out of life.

have you ever seen rich kids of instagram?

Those kids do not make it look like not having to work for anything is no fun.

Original post by Reue
Probably by the start of 3rd year. People had started applying for graduate jobs and it was clear that the huge majority were going to be disappointed.
amazes me that still most people leave it to half way through their 3rd year to start thinking about a job after uni. Good jobs are too scarce and job market is way too competitive these days to not be thinking about it what you can do to boost your employment prospects from day 1 at uni.

after year 13
what happened after year 13?

Original post by kkboyk
Though I already knew this, it hit me hard during yr9 when I sat by myself on a bench inside a busy shopping centre, and observed the people around me.Probably one of the best life lesson we should all learn.
what did you see that gave you the epiphany?
(edited 8 years ago)
no, a levels were actually. the both years were horrible, don't ever wanna go back, haha

My last two years were horrible as well, I was the only brown kid there practically :biggrin:
Original post by Trapz99
I am special. I was born to do great things and be successful. I don't care what anyone else thinks.

You go boy *snaps fingers*
Original post by RMNDK

woah dude, that's not exactly what I meant.

are you ok now?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I realised I wasn't special after AS, I realised if you want something you have to truly work for it and if you haven't worked hard enough for something and failed there is no point crying about it, because no one owes you anything and it is your fault. You have to get up and fix yourself and your mistakes.

But admittedly on realising this, I have become hugely pessimistic...but atleast it's realistic, so meh...

Why don't you think you're anything special? I think I'm great and that I'll achieve great things if I work hard. You should think like that as well! Everyone can be special- it's down to what you make of your opportunities. Hopefully one day I'll have a taste of the upper middle class lifestyle because I am special enough to achieve it when I work hard. Everyone in the UK or in other developed countries should think like this. If we did, we can be so much more successful.
Reply 32
Idk. Used to be so crazily Narcissistic, would flip out if people beat me on tests or whatever. Then as secondary school went on I just gradually became more mature. I still don't think I'm anywhere near completely over the whole protagonist syndrome or self-obsession but then again most people have some of that forever.
Original post by RMNDK

That's awful :frown:, don't say that or think that. Nothing painful lasts forever. The sun will always rise tomorrow, and the next day, and 10 years from now, life will not look the same as it does in 10 years or 20.

You should talk to someone about this.
Original post by Black Cobra
Realised I wasnt special after exams at end of first year at uni - up until that point had always been top of my classes, but at uni I was just average.

Realised the world owes me nothing and everything you want you have to get by working your ass off through various competitive internships throughout uni.

When my life devolved to such a level, that I made a student room account to roam amongst the dirt...

Look at me peeler, I'm all inspirational now
Original post by Black Cobra
have you ever seen rich kids of instagram?

Those kids do not make it look like not having to work for anything is no fun.

Yeah but the things I want can't be bought.
My last two years were horrible as well, I was the only brown kid there practically :biggrin:

Goshh - haha
I hated it in terms of the work. Came out with an E chemistry despite revising my bum off
Original post by Moonstruck16
Yeah but the things I want can't be bought.

? What things do you want that you can't buy?
Original post by Trapz99
Why don't you think you're anything special? I think I'm great and that I'll achieve great things if I work hard. You should think like that as well! Everyone can be special- it's down to what you make of your opportunities. Hopefully one day I'll have a taste of the upper middle class lifestyle because I am special enough to achieve it when I work hard. Everyone in the UK or in other developed countries should think like this. If we did, we can be so much more successful.

Because I'm not special, I have failed at so many things before and I still do. I mess up things all the time, which is why I'm not special, at best Average, but certainly no high achieving brilliant being. I'm average at best.

I want to achieve great thing too, ofcourse I do! I always have done but honestly I'm such a sensitive soul, like a petal at times and I carry all my past failures on a list in my head and I add to it all the time, it makes me realise I'm not special.

But I don't make excuses for my failures anymore, I just accept it was my fault and move on or attempt to change things...but sometimes I fail at that too. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest