The Student Room Group

Feminists Vs Islam (women are disrespected in islam?)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
Please quote the writing you're referring to. The specific ones which say that Christ, as the Son of God who would make things miraculously happen, actually exists.

My point is that Jesus Christ as a person is very likely to have existed - his divinity is nothing but fairytales though.

When I mean authenticity, I mean the fact that he was indeed crucified and preached a message of Love through out his existence.

Obviously no Historian was alive to see any of this happen so its impossible for them to state whether he was indeed divine or not.

Only way we can confirm this is through Biblical manuscripts written at the time of Christ, and as the dead sea scrolls discovered in the 1940's and new testaments payprus' like the P72. From 175 AD show, we are in fact right.

[video="youtube;O7zElCRwNgI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zElCRwNgI[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bazzel
Where does it say its referring to 'strength' and 'security'? oh wait...it doesn't. And why've you only mentioned 3 of the verses? can't defend the others?

The Quran mentions the word prayer, fasting, pilgrimage and a whole bunch of other ideas without explaining them so where on Earth did muslims learn to do these things? From authentic hadiths which explain them. We also have tafseer (commentary on Quranic verses) which can explain something that we are unsure of. Security and strength is something all human beings know that the majority of men have over women (different sporting events in the same sports is an example) and this is confirmed and accepted by all muslim scholars by consensus. And anything that reaches consensus is considered part of the religion.

Like I said . . . Get outta here with your islamophobic intentions. Islam ain't hurting you in the slightest way but you will go out of your way to try to denigrate Islam.

And no, you cannot say that Islam denigrates itself (a popular line amongst you folk) because otherwise people like you wouldn't exist. The ones that would like to stir hatred and whatnot.
[QUOTE="SuperStar#7;63911511"]
Original post by lulucoco98

Are you a moron?

Paul said that years after the death of Christ, in a time where women in Palestine were either extremely unruly and uneducated, or just from other tribes trying to disrupt a gathering.

If you have no idea of what you are saying please keep quiet and leave the theological debate to the experts.

Excuse me? You don't know me, I was just giving examples to show that there are examples of oppression to females in Christianity amongst other religions.

Stop being so ignorant you absolute tool. What makes you such an expert?
Reply 63
Original post by SuperStar#7
When I mean authenticity, I mean the fact that he was indeed crucified and preached a message of Love through out his existence.

Obviously no Historian was alive to see any of this happen so its impossible for them to state whether he was indeed divine or not.

Only way we can confirm this is through Biblical manuscripts written at the time of Christ, and as the dead sea scrolls discovered in the 1940's and new testaments payprus' like the P72. From 175 AD

[video="youtube;O7zElCRwNgI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zElCRwNgI[/video]

Tacitus was a historian writing exactly at the same time as the rise of Christianity. Look into his Annales. Very short reference, but most illuminating.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."

Your video gives info from sources written much later. Pointless.
Original post by Butternuts96
The Quran mentions the word prayer, fasting, pilgrimage and a whole bunch of other ideas without explaining them so where on Earth did muslims learn to do these things? From authentic hadiths which explain them. We also have tafseer (commentary on Quranic verses) which can explain something that we are unsure of. Security and strength is something all human beings know that the majority of men have over women (different sporting events in the same sports is an example) and this is confirmed and accepted by all muslim scholars by consensus. And anything that reaches consensus is considered part of the religion.

Like I said . . . Get outta here with your islamophobic intentions. Islam ain't hurting you in the slightest way but you will go out of your way to try to denigrate Islam.

And no, you cannot say that Islam denigrates itself (a popular line amongst you folk) because otherwise people like you wouldn't exist. The ones that would like to stir hatred and whatnot.

You shouldn't go around calling everyone who criticises your religion an Islamophobe because the word then loses it's weight. Someone who criticises Islam doesn't automatically become an anti-Muslim bigot, just as someone who criticises Christianity probably doesn't hate Christians as people. I haven't seen this poster attack Muslims so far. Anyone who reads my posts can see that I'm against real Islamophobia just as much as any other type of bigotry but that doesn't mean that one should stifle debate against Islam as a religion.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="lulucoco98;63911689"]

Excuse me? You don't know me, I was just giving examples to show that there are examples of oppression to females in Christianity amongst other religions.

Stop being so ignorant you absolute tool. What makes you such an expert?

I don't need to know you.

Your sheer ignorance makes your stupidity conspicuous.

What I said was that Paul made that statement, in a time where Women were unruly and uneducated. Some of them would intentionally gather at a meeting of worshippers and disrupt it. Did Paul write that meaning all women should be quiet in church? NO.

Is Paul some sort of divine deity that Christians pray to? NO

or just a writer and an evangelist? YES.

Did the person who Christians actually deify make any misogynistic remarks? NO.
Original post by Bazzel
inb4 'Quran is all about equality'.

Quran (2:228) - "and the men are a degree above them [women]"

Why do u always misqote y u people so dishonest
Divorced women remain in waiting for three periods, and it is not lawful for them to conceal what Allah has created in their wombs if they believe in Allah and the Last Day. And their husbands have more right to take them back in this [period] if they want reconciliation. And due to the wives is similar to what is expected of them, according to what is reasonable. But the men have a degree over them [in responsibility and authority]. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.2:228

Reading the verse above, clearly the words status is not included and that, as mentioned above, a clear misinterpretation of the Quranic verses.
If u mean by status as in authority then certainly u r correct.
Men have the responsibility of protecting, providing, supporting, and fulfilling the requirements and needs of women given to him by God.
This certainly doesn’t mean that women can’t exercise this right given to men, however it would give her too much of a burden, simply because she has other responsibilities to do. I can mention more on this if u ask . Tht was just a brief answer i can even go into the arabic aswell
Original post by *Stefan*
Tacitus was a historian writing exactly at the same time as the rise of Christianity. Look into his Annales. Very short reference, but most illuminating.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."

Your video gives info from sources written much later. Pointless.

That is a Blatant Lie.

Jesus Died around 34 AD. His message was already accepted and preached around that time.

Tactius was born around 20 years later, so unless he was a miracle Baby and started writing about Jesus 20 years after his death, then I have no reason to believe you.
Original post by HAnwar
Have you bothered to look into the reasoning behind those?

I do not like your defensive attitude so please change your tone and then talk to me. Everyone is entitled to hold their opinions. Such defensive attitude of Muslims puts me off.
[QUOTE="SuperStar#7;63911765"]

I don't need to know you.

Your sheer ignorance makes your stupidity conspicuous.

What I said was that Paul made that statement, in a time where Women were unruly and uneducated. Some of them would intentionally gather at a meeting of worshippers and disrupt it. Did Paul write that meaning all women should be quiet in church? NO.

Is Paul some sort of divine deity that Christians pray to? NO

or just a writer and an evangelist? YES.

Did the person who Christians actually deify make any misogynistic remarks? NO.

How am I ignorant? You are the ignorant one. It is still stated in the bible. Many Christians follow the bible I presume? You can't just believe in what Jesus says alone and ignore the others that's not how religion works. It's not about picking and choosing.
[QUOTE="lulucoco98;63911901"]

How am I ignorant? You are the ignorant one. It is still stated in the bible. Many Christians follow the bible I presume? You can't just believe in what Jesus says alone and ignore the others that's not how religion works. It's not about picking and choosing.

Where the hell did I say I ignored it?

If I ignored it would I give you the historical context behind the reason why Paul wrote that?

Are you even reading what you are saying?
Original post by BrokenLife
I do not like your defensive attitude so please change your tone and then talk to me. Everyone is entitled to hold their opinions. Such defensive attitude of Muslims puts me off.

You tell her!!!
Even their false prophet said

Sahih al-Bukhari 2658—The Prophet said: "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?" The women said: "Yes." He said: "This is because of the deficiency of her mind."

You can imagine how much i cringe anytime i see a woman defending islam .
the usual answers by muslimahs :

"in Islam, women are treated as Queens"
"the prophet said that paradise lies at the feet of a man's mother"
"islam was the first to give women their rights. Before Islam, baby girls were buried alive"
"men and women in Islam are equal, but have different roles"

these mantras are repeated constantly, in a very superficial and uncritical fashion. They are part of the standard apologetics that next to all Muslims (both men and women) will repeat:
Original post by mariachi
the usual answers by muslimahs :

"in Islam, women are treated as Queens"
"the prophet said that paradise lies at the feet of a man's mother"
"islam was the first to give women their rights. Before Islam, baby girls were buried alive"
"men and women in Islam are equal, but have different roles"

these mantras are repeated constantly, in a very superficial and uncritical fashion. They are part of the standard apologetics that next to all Muslims (both men and women) will repeat:

You left out the most common one which is.

"CONTEXT"

Hahaha

Like a context behind, "Kill the unbelievers wherever you find them", makes the verse any peaceful.
I'm sure you agree with the Qur'an when it says the testimony of TWO women is equal to that of a man.

And Muhammed's wise words about women being mentally deficient in comparison with men, and how most of the inhabitants of hell are women.

What a mercy to mankind he was.

You tell her!!!

And I tell you too!

I do not like your assuming attitude towards me when you have no idea about what I believe in. Stop assuming stuff about what I believe in about Quran and then talk to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75

I do not like your attitude towards the laws of my religion, so please change your tone.

So the answer to my question was basically a no. Thanks.
Reply 76
That is a Blatant Lie.

Jesus Died around 34 AD. His message was already accepted and preached around that time.

Tactius was born around 20 years later, so unless he was a miracle Baby and started writing about Jesus 20 years after his death, then I have no reason to believe you.

Please use your brain - apart from one philosopher, no one has written at the exact time of Jesus. Tacitus is the closest you'll get, which is what I meant he was writing at the time of Jesus.

It's also quite idiotic to refuse to accept Tacitus and accept the writings of Eusebius and whatnot, who lives hundreds of years later.

Bias speaks volumes here.
And I tell you too!

I do not like your assuming attitude towards me when you have no idea about what I believe in. Stop assuming stuff about what I believe in about Quran and then talk to me.

So what then do you believe, rainbow sunshine muslim?
[QUOTE="SuperStar#7;63911943"]

Where the hell did I say I ignored it?

If I ignored it would I give you the historical context behind the reason why Paul wrote that?

Are you even reading what you are saying?

Throughout his whole argument I'm saying that women are oppressed in Christianity amongst other religions. There's proof of that, no need to be such a tool.
Original post by Bazzel
inb4 'Quran is all about equality'.

Quran (2:223) - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..."

"Narrated Abdullah Ibn Abbas: Ibn Umar misunderstood (the Qur'anic verse, "So come to your tilth however you will")--may Allah forgive him. The fact is that this clan of the Ansar, who were idolaters, lived in the company of the Jews who were the people of the Book. They (the Ansar) accepted their superiority over themselves in respect of knowledge, and they followed most of their actions. The people of the Book (i.e. the Jews) used to have intercourse with their women on one side alone (i.e. lying on their backs). This was the most concealing position for (the vagina of) the women. This clan of the Ansar adopted this practice from them. But this tribe of the Quraysh used to uncover their women completely, and seek pleasure with them from in front and behind and laying them on their backs. When the muhajirun (the immigrants) came to Medina, a man married a woman of the Ansar. He began to do the same kind of action with her, but she disliked it, and said to him: We were approached on one side (i.e. lying on the back); do it so, otherwise keep away from me. This matter of theirs spread widely, and it reached the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him).So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur'anic verse: 'Your wives are a tilth to you, so come to your tilth however you will,' i.e. from in front, from behind or lying on the back. But this verse meant the place of the delivery of the child, i.e. the vagina. (Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 11, Marriage (Kitab Al-Nikah), Number 2159)"

Yes, woman is called the tilth for man, but it is not that a parallel is being drawn between her and tilth. Actually it is a simile, that it is man whose seed a woman carries in her womb. It is in this context that this simile is given for understanding. For those who really understand the Quran, this verse asks for better attitude towards women. you see, a farmer looks after his tilth, waters it, protects it against all climate conditions. In the same way man is supposed to take every care of woman, for he has been given more physical strength and has been made her protector and manager of her affairs.

Quick Reply

Latest