The Student Room Group

Panic attacks

Hey, I've been suffering from regular intense panic attacks recently.
I feel really faint, dizzy and all together 'not with it', my heart beats faster and I start to sweat. I'll often find my mouth is really dry and I find it hard to swallow, sometimes I think my throat is actually closing up or I think I'm going to have a heart attack. It's a horrible experience!

I'm just wondering what other people feel/experience when they have panic attacks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm very claustrophobic and tend to get awful panic attacks when im on nights out etc. The room starts to spin and everything starts to feel really close but also really far away at the same time. Then i start to feel faint,have trouble breathing and become hyperaware of my breathing and heart beat.. recently at that point i faint, such fun!
Original post by Stk1010
Hey, I've been suffering from regular intense panic attacks recently.
I feel really faint, dizzy and all together 'not with it', my heart beats faster and I start to sweat. I'll often find my mouth is really dry and I find it hard to swallow, sometimes I think my throat is actually closing up or I think I'm going to have a heart attack. It's a horrible experience!

I'm just wondering what other people feel/experience when they have panic attacks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

square breathing, grounding technique, are the only things that have ever worked for me (although not completely) . Breathing is key here, learning to control your breathing, and recognising and controlling first systems will help you to stop having them in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my best friends gets them regularly and he describes it as feeling short of breath, like a weight is on his chest, gets dizziness, heart pounds and all he can think about is that he's having a panic attack.

I've only had one recently, a few weeks ago when I was v stressed, and I can agree with the weight on chest, shortness of breath, dizziness and heart pounding. I also felt like the veins in my neck were gonna burst and it's like there was a mental block in my head, couldn't think about anything. Like an extended state of shock.
Reply 5
I get similar to you

But man my mum gets em bad
Reply 6
Original post by Zargabaath
One of my best friends gets them regularly and he describes it as feeling short of breath, like a weight is on his chest, gets dizziness, heart pounds and all he can think about is that he's having a panic attack.

I've only had one recently, a few weeks ago when I was v stressed, and I can agree with the weight on chest, shortness of breath, dizziness and heart pounding. I also felt like the veins in my neck were gonna burst and it's like there was a mental block in my head, couldn't think about anything. Like an extended state of shock.

Damn, they suck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Goaded
I get similar to you

But man my mum gets em bad

Damn, sorry to hear that! Do you think panic attacks can be in any way genetic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stk1010

I wouldn't be surprised if you could be genetically predispositioned towards having frequent panic attacks. I imagine it's similar to the kids of people with depression or addictions being more likely to suffer those problems themselves.
I am so sorry to hear all that.
Only people with similar experience can really appreciate how horrible a panic attack is.
I now take medication.
Reply 10
Original post by ODES_PDES
I am so sorry to hear all that.
Only people with similar experience can really appreciate how horrible a panic attack is.
I now take medication.

That's very true. There was a kid in my class at school who used to get panic attacks and I used to get so frustrated over the drama he caused because of it, I used to think to myself 'just get the hell on with it', but my god I feel so bad for thinking that way now having experienced it myself. What's so scary for me is that it's uncontrollable!

What medication are you on? I mentioned to my doctor that I was having panic attacks and he pretty much said there's nothing he could prescribe for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Stk1010

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only me and my mum have them out of 9 kids so idk
I take ec
Original post by Stk1010
That's very true. There was a kid in my class at school who used to get panic attacks and I used to get so frustrated over the drama he caused because of it, I used to think to myself 'just get the hell on with it', but my god I feel so bad for thinking that way now having experienced it myself. What's so scary for me is that it's uncontrollable!

What medication are you on? I mentioned to my doctor that I was having panic attacks and he pretty much said there's nothing he could prescribe for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take Escitalophram 10 mg which has a long term calming effect

Quick Reply

Latest