The Student Room Group

Help, I don't have any will to finished my degree anymore!

This's my very first post in this site so I'm sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, and sorry in advance if I had any mistakes in my English as it is not my first language.

I'm a third year (2nd sem) in uni so basically I'll have a few more classes to finished and then working with my thesis the rest of the remaining year.

It's probably easier to just 'go on and finish it' but the thing is I already had enough with my uni's life.

(FYI, my current degree is Business related and what I want was Design/Art related)

First of all, it's not my interest to choose this degree. My parents force me to took it bcs the degree I wanted were the 'don't know whether you could make a living out of it' kind of degree so my parents objects to my degree choice. At first I'm just kinda 'okay whatever' and follow their choice of degree, but as times flies I begin to realize many distasteful things I don't like being in the degree I'm not interested with.

For example, what I was thinking were exactly the opposite of what others were thinking and that easily leads me to being a kind of 'freak' in the class. It's not that I don't have any friends in the class, it's just I don't feel belongs there. I can't discuss anything with my friends about things I like without them being clueless and they also can't make me 'in' to their topics bcs I simply didn't interested in the topics itself, and I can't really blame anyone bcs Business student were ... less artistic than Design/Art student so yeah, you get it.

Secondly, the distance between my house and uni is a problem itself. I live in a country where public transportation were not as good as most country so it's cheaper if I drive myself to get to the uni. I get a standard of 1.5 h of one trip only to go to the uni, and that's when the traffic is clear. Mostly the traffic is jammed and I had 2.5 h. I even had those terrible traffic when I'm stucked for 4 h for one trip only. Borderline is, even if the traffic is clear, I had to 'waste' 3 h on the trip itself.

I know I sounds ungrateful bcs many ppl out there wants to get a degree and here I am complaining about it, but that's the point if me making this thread in this site, so I can get insight from ppl and get a positive views to my situations.

Thank you for reading this far and feel free to send me any of your thoughts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, sorry you're going through this crisis right now but my advice would be to speak to your Uni advisor about your options as they'll have the best advice. If it's like other degrees in the UK would you not be finishing in third year anyway? If so, I honestly think it would be best to just stick it or for a couple more months and the you'll be able to move onto a degree you actually want to pursue. If not, it could be a good idea to drop out of you really feel you're wasting your time but don't make any rash decisions and remember it's your life, not your parents' so do what makes you happy! Good luck!
Original post by Ishinov

I know I sounds ungrateful bcs many ppl out there wants to get a degree and here I am complaining about it, but that's the point if me making this thread in this site, so I can get insight from ppl and get a positive views to my situations.

Here's the positive view on your situation:

You're very close to the end of your degree. Very soon, the issues you've mentioned will cease to be issues, and, if you can pull yourself together and make a last push at it, you'll leave with a degree. If not, you'll have tolerated them up to now for nothing, and your effort will have been wasted.

This is a bit of a no brainer, really. If you give up so close to the end there's a good chance you'll come to regret it deeply.
With regards with the sitting in traffic for 4 hours have you considered getting a scooter or motorbike? No traffic at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by martinnmartin
With regards with the sitting in traffic for 4 hours have you considered getting a scooter or motorbike? No traffic at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Martin, thanks for your advice but it is impossible for me to ride a scooter/motorbike since:
1. The distance between uni and my house is 22km
2. I've never learn how to drive a motorbike thus,
3. I don't have motorcycle license
4. I'm a small build girl. My height doesn't even reach 5' so riding a motorbike/scooter kind of hard for me
Reply 5
I can relate to you so much!!

Firstly, I am in a similar position, people think im strange because im from an arsty background yet im studying in the business school, i was kind of surprised to find out that my subject was classed as business and not art, considering i'd covered it in so many creative classes in college. I am the odd one out in my class, i am way more creative than all the others who have a business and sales approach to my projects. There really should be a balance between being business and being creative. So trust me! I know how you feel! I am 2nd year 2nd Semester too, but all my teachers have picked up that i'm a unique one who enjoys the creative side more.

I also suffer from the same lack of motivation due to the distance of my uni flat.I will sound even more 'ungrateful' than you right now, but I live 15 minute walk from my uni, i know that is nothing compared to your 2 hours but that 15 minute walk seems horrible at half 8 in the morning when im heading for my 9AM lectures. It's horrible, I have resulted in using taxis now where possible, but that takes a good chunk out of my finance which means i cant afford taxis a lot so i just don't go in, I do drive and i have my car with me, but their is no parking on my campus which means i cant drive in, if i could there would be no problem whatsoever, i understand you pain with transport.

Like mentioned before i would say, speak to your tutor, tell them how you feel, You've already done three years, you have come so far and you'd kick yourself if you stopped now. Although its not a degree you like you can always do extra things you enjoy? i signed up for evening classes in the subjects i preferred and had creative hobbies to give me a break from my business work so maybe you could do that too? It's fine to have a difference on opinion on things but you will become a much better person if you have two perspectives of creative and business instead of just one.

Quick Reply

Latest