The Student Room Group

EdExcel -- A2 -- Drama & Theatre Studies

Hi guys this will be a sharing thread concerning this years Drama & Theatre studies exam: please comment with questions and share resources so that we can all get A!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, is anyone else using digital theatre? I don't live in the UK so my school have this program where we can watch pre-recorded theatre on the computer for section C, because we can't get to a theatre where we live. I was just wondering if anyone else does this or is doing the same play as me? We're doing Much Ado about nothing with David Tennant. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Rembles98
Hey, is anyone else using digital theatre? I don't live in the UK so my school have this program where we can watch pre-recorded theatre on the computer for section C, because we can't get to a theatre where we live. I was just wondering if anyone else does this or is doing the same play as me? We're doing Much Ado about nothing with David Tennant. Thanks :smile:

Great play, is that the one at the RSC, cause I live in Stratford, where the theatre is and it was amazing
Original post by ellieacraig
Great play, is that the one at the RSC, cause I live in Stratford, where the theatre is and it was amazing

The one with Catherine Tate too? Such a good performance!
What texts is everyone studying?
Woyzeck and Macbeth
I'm studying woyzeck and im so so lost about like 90% of the section b questions so if you have any tips or ideas i would really appreciate that!
Reply 7
Hi, would anyone be able to attach some revision resources for Shakespeare please? Preferably, 'As You Like It'? Thank you. Good luck!
Hi guys :smile: I am studying Lysistrata and after receiving an appalling mock grade this week I have decided to change my concept! I just wondered if I could get some opinions on what I have now chosen and if anyone has any ideas about how I could stage it (in terms of theatre elements) that would be brilliant.

The concept is Greenham Common Woman’s Peace Camp, RAF site, Berkshire, England the camp began in September 1981 after a Welsh group, Women for Life onEarth, arrived at Greenham to protest against the decision of the Britishgovernment to allow cruise missiles tobe based there. It has parallels to Lysistrata asboth instances show groups of women uniting to use their femininity (in thiscase the fact that most of the women were mothers) to dominate a male space ina fight for peace.

Thanks
Original post by oioioiahaha
Hi guys this will be a sharing thread concerning this years Drama & Theatre studies exam: please comment with questions and share resources so that we can all get A!

How on earth do you write a written performance concept?? I can get some bullet points, but putting it together so it's coherent and sophisticated, is really not my thing. And I can't do it :frown: HELP
I'm doing Lysistrata and a Misummer Nights Dream by the RSC. How is everyone feeling about this exam?

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have a typed list of rehearsal techniques for section A if you want me to post it?
Original post by Lottiewestgarth
Hi guys :smile: I am studying Lysistrata and after receiving an appalling mock grade this week I have decided to change my concept! I just wondered if I could get some opinions on what I have now chosen and if anyone has any ideas about how I could stage it (in terms of theatre elements) that would be brilliant.

The concept is Greenham Common Woman’s Peace Camp, RAF site, Berkshire, England the camp began in September 1981 after a Welsh group, Women for Life onEarth, arrived at Greenham to protest against the decision of the Britishgovernment to allow cruise missiles tobe based there. It has parallels to Lysistrata asboth instances show groups of women uniting to use their femininity (in thiscase the fact that most of the women were mothers) to dominate a male space ina fight for peace.

Thanks

I really like this concept, my teacher suggested it to us :smile:
Reply 12
I'm doing Lysistrata and Mid summer nights dream too. What is your concept for Lysistrata? I'm doing WW1 and the suffragettes. I'm rather behind though :s how is your exam prep going?
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
I'm doing Lysistrata and a Misummer Nights Dream by the RSC. How is everyone feeling about this exam?

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have a typed list of rehearsal techniques for section A if you want me to post it?
Original post by Emma 19
I'm doing Lysistrata and Mid summer nights dream too. What is your concept for Lysistrata? I'm doing WW1 and the suffragettes. I'm rather behind though :s how is your exam prep going?

Hey :smile: my concepts the same as yours, post WW1 and the suffragette movement. How are you finding it? Exam prep is okay I've done 10 key scenes with rehearsal techniques for every possible thing that could come up like status, relationship, non verbal communication etc. I've done about 70% of section B just have to apply it to key scenes and do little details. And then section C I haven't done too much just a table comparing the performance Shakespeare times to now... So still got a bit to do, how's yours going?
Hello,

I know this is not relevant to what you are asking, but can anyone tell me what year 13 like at A2 drama. Currently I'm doing Edexcel AS drama and have just completed group performance in March and will be performing my monologue in a few weeks
So my question is what is A2 like? I'm aware we have a performance then in June we have a written exam, but what kind of performance is it? Is it other group one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Sounds like you are a lot further than me. I still have a lot to do. We only went to see A Mid Summer Nights Dream today, but I'd already seen it, and started the prep for it. My Lysistrata is going alright, but I still have a lot to do. I'm currently doing costume. Where all your female characters suffragettes? In mine, only the old women are, and the other ladies have different roles. So much to do! ahhhh! lol
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
Hey :smile: my concepts the same as yours, post WW1 and the suffragette movement. How are you finding it? Exam prep is okay I've done 10 key scenes with rehearsal techniques for every possible thing that could come up like status, relationship, non verbal communication etc. I've done about 70% of section B just have to apply it to key scenes and do little details. And then section C I haven't done too much just a table comparing the performance Shakespeare times to now... So still got a bit to do, how's yours going?
I need help!! Mainly with section B to be honest, but no-one in our class has any idea at all what we're doing!

My Lysistrata interpretation is set in no particular time or place, to demonstrate that the message of the play is universal. I know I have to write about the different elements and mention similarities/differences to OPC and links to Greek theatre etc. but I am so confused of how to get good marks!
Original post by Pix2015
Hello,

I know this is not relevant to what you are asking, but can anyone tell me what year 13 like at A2 drama. Currently I'm doing Edexcel AS drama and have just completed group performance in March and will be performing my monologue in a few weeks
So my question is what is A2 like? I'm aware we have a performance then in June we have a written exam, but what kind of performance is it? Is it other group one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

The group performance in A2 is devised. So your teacher should give you a stimulus and then you create your own original piece of theatre from that. You then have to write a 3,500 Written Supporting Evidence document explaining your devised piece:smile:

The unit is a lot of hard work but it's sooo much fun and very rewarding once you know what you're doing (and if you've got a good drama teacher) lol xx
Original post by Pix2015
Hello,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: year 13 is a lot harder than year 12 but it's a lot of fun in my opinion. As someone previously said its a devised group piece with a stimulus your teacher gives you (though we found our own one). It is very fun.
How come you performed your group piece and monologue months apart? Just curious as everyone I know and me performed it on the same night?
Original post by Emma 19
Sounds like you are a lot further than me. I still have a lot to do. We only went to see A Mid Summer Nights Dream today, but I'd already seen it, and started the prep for it. My Lysistrata is going alright, but I still have a lot to do. I'm currently doing costume. Where all your female characters suffragettes? In mine, only the old women are, and the other ladies have different roles. So much to do! ahhhh! lol

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean but the old women's chorus, lysistrata, strattyllis, lampito, calonice and mhryine are all suffragettes in mine, but at different points in the play their costume colour changes to represent how their opinion on the movement has changed (because at the beginning in mine calonice and mhryine are reluctant).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending