The Student Room Group

Do you keep clothes for sentimental reasons?

I'm trying to be more minimal with my wardrobe but have somethings i just can't part with like my bridesmaids dress from mums wedding, my graduation dress and the first dress my boyfriend every bought me even though it doesn't fit.
Anybody else keep stuff they wont ever wear for sentimental reasons?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, but I am also trying to exercise a more minimalist approach to life in general. I have a lot of clothes from before I gained weight that I keep on the basis that they may fit me in the future. I do not believe that day will ever actually come :tongue:

I do remember a t shirt and a bobble hat that my nan gave me when I was very young. They are both long lost now, but if I had the opportunity to I think I would keep them. At least for a while.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
I'm trying to be more minimal with my wardrobe but have somethings i just can't part with like my bridesmaids dress from mums wedding, my graduation dress and the first dress my boyfriend every bought me even though it doesn't fit.

yep my graduation T shirt it faded a bit in the wash so I don't wear it too much but I just cant get rid of it
I don't have any clothes that I've kept for sentimental reasons. The reason for that is probably that I don't have much space for clothes so I'm always glad to see the back of something if I consider that I've had my wear out of it. But also I don't have many clothes that I would associate with special occasions - I've never been a bridesmaid or been in a relationship - if I did, I probably would keep them. I'm a big hoarder of other things such as letters between me and my friends, greetings cards and a collection of erasers.
It might sound like I love myself a little too much but my baby clothes :h: .
Original post by jonathanemptage
yep my graduation T shirt it faded a bit in the wash so I don't wear it too much but I just cant get rid of it

I think that's a good thing to keep hold of as i assume it has good memories with it :smile:
Original post by mscaffrey
I don't have any clothes that I've kept for sentimental reasons. The reason for that is probably that I don't have much space for clothes so I'm always glad to see the back of something if I consider that I've had my wear out of it. But also I don't have many clothes that I would associate with special occasions - I've never been a bridesmaid or been in a relationship - if I did, I probably would keep them. I'm a big hoarder of other things such as letters between me and my friends, greetings cards and a collection of erasers.

I guess if i didnt have any space I would think the same, i've gotten rid of stuff that i have no sentimental attachment to quite easily as i try to sort my wardrobe out on a regular basis. I only keep greeting cards and plane tickets really but i think keeping things from friends is sweet :smile:
I think that's a good thing to keep hold of as i assume it has good memories with it :smile:

yeah it does I loved uni when I do put it on it all comes flooding back same as the graduation hoody

I still have my lab coat from year 9-10 science classes that we had to wear into Labs :lol:
I hate parting with anything that I have bought or received. I'm a hoarder to be honest lol. I have clothes I hardly wear and whenever my mum tells me to get rid of them, I tell her I can't. It's not as bad as when I used to collect leaflets...
Not really, but I sometimes do it for gowns and dresses.
Not really. I usually give clothes I don't wear anymore to charity shops or put them on EBay.
I have the problem of giving away clothes that don't fit anymore and then I lose/gain weight and need to buy a whole wardrobe again. :rant: I also often decide I dislike clothes so give them to charity then a few months later I decide I did like them and so rebuy similar stuff again.

I waste so much money on clothes. :facepalm:
Yes I do haha :mmm:
Reply 14
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I still have my lab coat from year 9-10 science classes that we had to wear into Labs :lol:

Wait, you were allowed to take the school lab coats home? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've kept the dress I wore on my first date with my husband.
Reply 16
Yes! i will. if the dress has special meaning for me! such as birthday gifts or precious souvenir from your dear fiends. With regard to our wedding dresses in the future, most of us will treasures them! the cherished dresses don't have to be expensive, some casual formal dresses from online stores like Amazon,Ebay,DressesMallAU is ok. i think it will be a sweet thing for each lady!
At New Years I turned all the hangers in my wardrobe round, and I only turn them back if i wear the item of clothing. I have loads that I haven't worn yet, but I can't bear to part with it just incase I want to wear it! I have 3 formal dresses that I'll never wear again for example, but 2 are so dated that I don't think anyone would buy them from me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I keep sentimental for clothing reasons
Original post by A321
Wait, you were allowed to take the school lab coats home? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, we had to buy them I think they were £10 and we had to take them off
and bring them back every chemistry lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest