The Student Room Group

What is the full UMS cap?

So some of my friends were talking about something called the full ums cap, where in the A2 units with 150 ums if you pass a certain mark or a certain ums you are awared the full 150 ums

i dont really understand this and was wondering if anyone knows about it?
Thnaks
Reply 1
Original post by King Of Domains
So some of my friends were talking about something called the full ums cap, where in the A2 units with 150 ums if you pass a certain mark or a certain ums you are awared the full 150 ums

Thnaks

Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=649874

Thnaks

In an exam, you are awarded a raw mark out of how many marks are available for that exam. For example, let's say someone is awarded 80/100 raw marks in an exam.

Each year, difficulty of the exam changes. Raw marks are converted to UMS marks to make this fairer on students. The 80/100 raw mark someone acheived might equate to 83/100 UMS marks for one year, or if the exam was much more difficult, then perhaps 90/100 UMS marks for one year. This means that you can get a certain raw mark, let's say 95/100, and still be awarded the full 100/100 UMS mark.

This is a simplified explanation, as UMS boundaries mostly change each year.

Hope this explanation helps, ask any questions if you are still unsure :smile:
Original post by Dapperblook22
In an exam, you are awarded a raw mark out of how many marks are available for that exam. For example, let's say someone is awarded 80/100 raw marks in an exam.

Each year, difficulty of the exam changes. Raw marks are converted to UMS marks to make this fairer on students. The 80/100 raw mark someone acheived might equate to 83/100 UMS marks for one year, or if the exam was much more difficult, then perhaps 90/100 UMS marks for one year. This means that you can get a certain raw mark, let's say 95/100, and still be awarded the full 100/100 UMS mark.

This is a simplified explanation, as UMS boundaries mostly change each year.

Hope this explanation helps, ask any questions if you are still unsure :smile:

Can you ever get less UMS than raw marks?
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Can you ever get less UMS than raw marks?

Yes, of course.
Reply 5

Thnaks

Dapperblook22 explained the issue quite well though I'm not familiar with the term full UMS cap.

It's not just applicable to exams with a max UMS of 150, it is very rare to need full raw marks to gain full UMS (though it does occasionally happen in Maths). I have seen papers where as few as 37/50 got you 100/100UMS. It all depends how hard the exam was.
Original post by Zacken
Yes, of course.

So there are situations where it is actually impossible to get 100 UMS?
Reply 7
So there are situations where it is actually impossible to get 100 UMS?

Nopes.
Original post by Zacken
Nopes.

But... You just said that there are papers where you can get less UMS than raw marks...
Reply 9
But... You just said that there are papers where you can get less UMS than raw marks...

I did. Tha does not mean every UMS is under every raw mark. It means there are, for a very select subset of marks, a range where UMS is lower than raw.

Quick Reply

Latest