The Student Room Group

Should I do Law or Economics at uni?

Which is better for career prospects, an which is harder to get into. I haven't studied either prior to uni.

Scroll to see replies

What do you want to do for a career and what A Levels do you do?
Reply 2
If you want to do finance, they are both just as useful- the degree doesn't really matter. For law, I'd recommend dipping law if you enjoy it because then you don't need to bother with a GDL. But I've heard that law is a pretty boring course.
Original post by maoism123
Which is better for career prospects, an which is harder to get into. I haven't studied either prior to uni.

Wouldn't Economics require atleast A Level Maths or Economics to get in? Law is more flexible on these terms as it's not about certain subjects.
Original post by Rhythmical
Wouldn't Economics require atleast A Level Maths or Economics to get in? Law is more flexible on these terms as it's not about certain subjects.

I have maths A-Level but not econ, which is annoying because I didn't know what I wanted to do when I picked my A-Levels.

Econ degrees rarely, if even require economics A Level, seeing as some schools don't offer it.
Original post by Trapz99
If you want to do finance, they are both just as useful- the degree doesn't really matter. For law, I'd recommend dipping law if you enjoy it because then you don't need to bother with a GDL. But I've heard that law is a pretty boring course.

Would I be able to get into Investment Banking with Law?
Original post by tommyprice5
Econ degrees rarely, if even require economics A Level, seeing as some schools don't offer it.

That is true, I just didn't know if OP had Maths at all.

I have maths A-Level but not econ, which is annoying because I didn't know what I wanted to do when I picked my A-Levels.

Maths should be fine, Economics might not be offered in every school. I know mine doesn't but they work with another school so students still study the subject but just at another school. Whereabouts are you applying to and what kind of career do you see yourself getting into the future?

Probably, but it would be easier with Economics
Reply 9

Yeah. The banks don't care at all about what degree you do- the university name is more important. Focus on getting into one of these universities: Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Warwick if you can. And also make sure you have good extracurricular activities and know some basic financial concepts like what an investment bank does and what the different divisions are. That's what you need- your degrees doesn't matter. A few former students from my school who went on to study law and are now going to do summer internships in investment banking,
That is true, I just didn't know if OP had Maths at all.

Maths should be fine, Economics might not be offered in every school. I know mine doesn't but they work with another school so students still study the subject but just at another school. Whereabouts are you applying to and what kind of career do you see yourself getting into the future?

If I do Law I am looking at Bristol, Warwick, Exeter and two others but I don't know which and if Economics then Economic History at LSE, Economics at Exeter, Southampton, Manchester and another that I have yet to choose. I am still unsure at what I wanna do in the future though, possibly IB but still not sure yet.
If I do Law I am looking at Bristol, Warwick, Exeter and two others but I don't know which and if Economics then Economic History at LSE, Economics at Exeter, Southampton, Manchester and another that I have yet to choose. I am still unsure at what I wanna do in the future though, possibly IB but still not sure yet.

I would recommend Economics purely because it's more interesting and LSE is renowned for IB and economical subjects, plus being in London means you will have access to the bets companies and be right at the hub of finance. Law isn't for everyone and can be boring but if you want to do IB then go for Economics.
I would recommend Economics purely because it's more interesting and LSE is renowned for IB and economical subjects, plus being in London means you will have access to the bets companies and be right at the hub of finance. Law isn't for everyone and can be boring but if you want to do IB then go for Economics.

I think at LSE I am interested in Economic History, and at UCL there is a course of History, Politics and Economics which looks good too. I have also looked at History and Econ at Oxford, but I don't know how tough it is to get in to. My GCSEs are below average for Oxford average: 4A* 5A
Original post by tommyprice5

90% of people who do Economics at uni have it at a level
I think at LSE I am interested in Economic History, and at UCL there is a course of History, Politics and Economics which looks good too. I have also looked at History and Econ at Oxford, but I don't know how tough it is to get in to. My GCSEs are below average for Oxford average: 4A* 5A

Go for LSE, I think you will enjoy it more but UCL is still an amazing university although it is a slightly different course. London, though isn't cheap to live as it can be costly so it depends if you live on campus or rent your own place.
Go for LSE, I think you will enjoy it more but UCL is still an amazing university although it is a slightly different course. London, though isn't cheap to live as it can be costly so it depends if you live on campus or rent your own place.

Yeah, I think LSE is where my heart is set on. Surprisingly though LSE Econ History is AAB? Why do you think this is the case? I think LSE and UCL are quite diverse unis with ppl from all over the world and that's what I like, the general atmosphere seems to be very positive! Do you get greater loans for living and studying in London?
Yeah, I think LSE is where my heart is set on. Surprisingly though LSE Econ History is AAB? Why do you think this is the case? I think LSE and UCL are quite diverse unis with ppl from all over the world and that's what I like, the general atmosphere seems to be very positive! Do you get greater loans for living and studying in London?

I do think people going to London universities get a higher loan depending on their cases although I'm not sure. I'm planning to go to UCL so I need to make sure too and I think LSE's course is AAB as maybe they are under subscribed? However since it is the minimum, I am sure they would be attracting students with grades A*A*A/A*AA too but it does depend.
I do think people going to London universities get a higher loan depending on their cases although I'm not sure. I'm planning to go to UCL so I need to make sure too and I think LSE's course is AAB as maybe they are under subscribed? However since it is the minimum, I am sure they would be attracting students with grades A*A*A/A*AA too but it does depend.

What are you looking at doing at UCL? Also what A-Levels you doing and where else you applying? :smile:
What are you looking at doing at UCL? Also what A-Levels you doing and where else you applying? :smile:

English BA. :smile: And I'm doing English Literature, English Language and an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media. I'm also looking at QMUL, KCL, Sheffield, Exeter maybe?
Original post by Youngmetro
90% of people who do Economics at uni have it at a level

But it's still not a requirement for entry. LSE even have a course (Economics A) on their Economics course aimed at students who haven't studied economics before.

Quick Reply

Latest