The Student Room Group

French speaking A2 Stimulus card

Hi guys,
I'm in serious need of help.
I have my A2 Speaking exam for French in roughly 3 weeks time, and I am actually panicking. Basically, I'm unsure as to how I am going to prepare my stimulus card between now and then and also how I am going to use the 20minutes in the exam to write my points?
If there is someone on here who has any tips for me I would be extremely grateful, but right now I am panicking... Thank you :smile:
Original post by Becky-1998
Hi guys,
I'm in serious need of help.
I have my A2 Speaking exam for French in roughly 3 weeks time, and I am actually panicking. Basically, I'm unsure as to how I am going to prepare my stimulus card between now and then and also how I am going to use the 20minutes in the exam to write my points?
If there is someone on here who has any tips for me I would be extremely grateful, but right now I am panicking... Thank you :smile:

I'm presuming this is for the debate?

When you get your card:

Read the 2 points of view expressed on the card. Then:

- make a note of the topic (eg environment, health etc.) it falls under. Then write down the topic-relevant vocab included in both the points of view. Although this is not at all difficult, it will help you focus and will take the panic out of the situation. Then:

- decide the point of view you are going to take; write it down.

- think of 3 arguments in favour of your point of view; jot them down. Just a few words and/or expressions will do.

- then think of a few arguments you might have used for the opposite point of view. Make a note of these. This will prepare you for what the examiner might throw at you, so try to think of a few counter-arguments.

So: between now and the exam, make sure you know your topic-related vocab; and make sure you are able to take a point of view on controversial issues. Eg for the environment: for or against nuclear energy? for or against renewable energy? for or against carless Sundays in big cities? Thinking about these issues beforehand as part of your revision will help you enormously on the day.
Reply 2
Original post by Anna Schoon
I'm presuming this is for the debate?

When you get your card:

Read the 2 points of view expressed on the card. Then:

- make a note of the topic (eg environment, health etc.) it falls under. Then write down the topic-relevant vocab included in both the points of view. Although this is not at all difficult, it will help you focus and will take the panic out of the situation. Then:

- decide the point of view you are going to take; write it down.

- think of 3 arguments in favour of your point of view; jot them down. Just a few words and/or expressions will do.

- then think of a few arguments you might have used for the opposite point of view. Make a note of these. This will prepare you for what the examiner might throw at you, so try to think of a few counter-arguments.

So: between now and the exam, make sure you know your topic-related vocab; and make sure you are able to take a point of view on controversial issues. Eg for the environment: for or against nuclear energy? for or against renewable energy? for or against carless Sundays in big cities? Thinking about these issues beforehand as part of your revision will help you enormously on the day.

THANK YOU SOOMUCHHH!! :biggrin: You have literally been the biggest help! Omg thank youuu :biggrin: :biggrin:
I also recommend when you get your card to have maybe a clock or a watch around, for the first five minutes i personally would right out a paragraph with 4 points supporting my point of view so that i can just read it off during that one minute, this way i would start off confidently. The next 5 minutes I would think of all the possible counter argue points that the examiner would think of and jot them down, then in the following 10 minutes I would write maybe 4-5 lines thinking of my arguments that i should present for whatever those points i thought they would counter argue.
Also, for that one minute keep your points very clear, use words like d'abord, de plus, de surcroît, etc. so that the examiner can differentiate your points, and don't use much evidence or data or examples in general in your first minute, save those for the counter arguing. And don't necessarily present your top points in the first minute, maybe save some of your strongest for the debate otherwise you might run out of ideas!
Reply 4
Original post by negin1347
I also recommend when you get your card to have maybe a clock or a watch around, for the first five minutes i personally would right out a paragraph with 4 points supporting my point of view so that i can just read it off during that one minute, this way i would start off confidently. The next 5 minutes I would think of all the possible counter argue points that the examiner would think of and jot them down, then in the following 10 minutes I would write maybe 4-5 lines thinking of my arguments that i should present for whatever those points i thought they would counter argue.
Also, for that one minute keep your points very clear, use words like d'abord, de plus, de surcroît, etc. so that the examiner can differentiate your points, and don't use much evidence or data or examples in general in your first minute, save those for the counter arguing. And don't necessarily present your top points in the first minute, maybe save some of your strongest for the debate otherwise you might run out of ideas!

Ahhhhhh thank you so much! These points have been so helpful! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending