The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hopefulmedic15
They will adapt as everyone does to a new environment. They will learn the customs as I have

How will they do that if their religious leaders forbid them to interact properly with half the population (and seek to establish a right not to) and to adopt normal societal practices?

It is worth pointing out that the two boys are reported to have lived there for several years. Just how long does it take to learn to live in a world where women are seen as normal human beings?
(edited 8 years ago)
Whilst as a Muslim I think it is excessive to not shake hands and it is not prohibited in the Quran, there is no need to have such uproar over something so simple. They are not breaking laws by not shaking hands, they just have a difference of cultural upbringing and being understanding of this will not start world war 3.

As a first generation immigrant to the UK who's parents have worked for the NHS for the last 17 years, I can tell that you have underlying bigotry because not every immigrant is trying to get social security, they are simply trying to get a better life for themselves. If you are not human enough to empathise and think that they are second class citizens who do not deserve the same rights to freedom then that makes you evil, not the innocent people whose world was torn apart by a war they didn't ask for or by terrorists who mock their religion and kill their family members in the streets.

These people have lived through horrors that you would equate to as what hell is. Whilst the sex scandals were horrific the people who committed those crimes are vile, you cannot paint everyone with the same brush. They will adapt as everyone does to a new environment. They will learn the customs as I have and my family has, but these things don't happen over night, they are trying to stand on their feet after having the ground ripped out from under them and teething problems will happen, but assimilation is possible.

We are not barbaric, we are people who want a future, and whilst for many in western culture, a hand shake is seen as a sign of respect, for some (arguably incorrectly from a religious standpoint but not culturally) it is more intimate and uncomfortable to share with every person.

When I went to A place in Spain I was told it was custom to have some of the local cider. they gave me a glass and I drunk it all, they came back and told me that when there is a small amount left you chuck the cider out towards the bar and it should splash on the side of the bar.
I thought that this was bloody weird but as a sign of respect the next cider I had I did and they were happy as I had show the ability to join with their culture
No you wouldn't?? Surprise, not everyone in an 'Islamic country' is Muslim or wears a headscarf. The only country where that would be true is Saudi Arabia. Go to any other country and not all the Muslim women wear headscarfs. Your bigotry and ignorance is showing, I suggest you hide it a bit better.

When is say Islamic countries I do not mean countries with some muslims in them I mean ones with mostly Muslims, this is coming from someone who had a friend that lived in Saudi Arabia Who had his mother constantly harassed for being Christian and whos house was vandalized many times
Reply 23
Original post by HAnwar
Good for them for sticking to their beliefs and not compromising their religion.
But surely living in dar al kufr, receiving a kufr education from kufr teachers and paying kufr taxes to a kufr government is far more compromising to their religion than just shaking hands with a woman?

And really? Shaking hands with a teacher is going to so inflame a schoolboy's lust that he may have to ravish her on the spot (thus potentially endangering her job through claims of her being sexually provocative, no doubt)?
Don't you find it odd that the immoral and animalistic kufr are able to control their ardour around the opposite sex, yet the recipients of Allah's perfect morality are basically barely contained rape-machines?
How can that be?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Hydeman
Inb4 'Thread closed because Islamophobia *something something* no place in current year.'
"And Racism"
so apparently it is islamophobic and racist to criticise this ideological state of affairs?
Reply 26
Original post by digistar_100
Why is it seen as a necessity to touch another womans hand if shes not your wife?
Why is it seen as forbidden to touch a woman's hand? What harm can it do? Primates (of which we are merely the most advanced example) are essentially socially tactile animals. It is in our nature to touch each other. Forbidding such natural behaviour is entirely illogical.
Reply 27
Original post by digistar_100
Why is it seen as a necessity to touch another womans hand if shes not your wife?

In that country, it's a sign of respect.
That's because they did this in the west.

Imagine the form of murder a person would receive for not throwing away their Bible if they migrated to Saudi Arabia.

Oh that's right, they wouldn't even be allowed into the country in the first place.

Hashtag Tolerance.
Original post by AlmightyJesus
so apparently it is islamophobic and racist to criticise this ideological state of affairs?

Bump.
What the actual hell has Europe come to..

You have people on here saying well done for not compromising their religion. It's a handshake ffs. There's nothing sexual about it.

If they prefer their medieval religion, go to a Muslim country. Any European would be glad to see them go.
Kudos to them :congrats:, moving to a western country DOES NOT mean you should follow western values, especially if it goes against our religion.
Original post by BaconandSauce
yet they choose to move to a western country rather than a muslim one.

But as we know Muslim countries don't have things like social security payments

Some Muslims hate the West for its "immorality" yet they live here and use their services.

Hypocrisy at its finest tbh.
Original post by Good bloke
If nothing else it shows that you are civilised enough to be able to deal with women on grounds other than as a sex object or a chattel.

It also demonstrates assimilation, or some movement towards it.

All good in theory but if not doing something necessary to prevent something more sinister such as fornication or adultary then why take the risk.
Original post by FluffyCherry
Kudos to them :congrats:, moving to a western country DOES NOT mean you should follow western values, especially if it goes against our religion.

So you don't think it a good idea for migrants to integrate? You'd rather they create ghettoes and live apart?
Whilst as a Muslim I think it is excessive to not shake hands and it is not prohibited in the Quran, there is no need to have such uproar over something so simple.

Yes there is

This is an attack on a fundamental Swiss Value

Don't like it don't move to Switzerland.

But have to say I work for a European Company and any person who refused to shake hands would not get a Job working with us and rightly so (in fact it's part of the interview process you come in you shake hands with every person in the room if you don't you'll find no job offer at the end).
Reply 37
No you wouldn't?? Surprise, not everyone in an 'Islamic country' is Muslim or wears a headscarf. The only country where that would be true is Saudi Arabia. Go to any other country and not all the Muslim women wear headscarfs. Your bigotry and ignorance is showing, I suggest you hide it a bit better.
A girl in our group had stones thrown at her in Morocco (small coastal village) for wearing a vest.
Does this now make you "bigoted and ignorant", or simply "wrong"?
Original post by FluffyCherry

If they do not like the western values there, why the hell did they Migrate there in the first place?

To leech of the governments welfare system is my guess.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Some Muslims hate the West for its "immorality" yet they live here and use their services.

Hypocrisy at its finest tbh.

As I say parasitical in nature

They want what we have created as they are incapable of doing it themselves but don't want to be part of our societies

Latest

Trending

Trending