The Student Room Group

Struggling to cope at 19

Hey everyone I am really struggling atm with everything. I had applied for fine art last September however, as I got into the course and uni I had a bad experience of it and didn't think the course was for me. Now I decided to make a big step by leaving and giving myself some time before I go back to uni as I suffered a lot from anxiety and panic. however, I am getting CBT help and on medication but I the struggle to find a uni course is what is making me stressed out and worked up to the point where I just cry though the intense pressure I put on myself.

I am struggling on what I actually enjoy and what course is suited to me as my mind is so overwhelmed with constant thought.

Has anyone been through this?
what advise would you give me in terms of coping and choosing a uni course?
Should I decide now or later on a course when im better???
There is no sense or need to rush into picking a course. It's okay that you don't know what course you want to do right now, because there is no rush to go. You could go next year or you could go 5 years from now and that would be okay too.

You may also want to consider other options. University isn't the only route you can choose and it might not even be the best option fir you. Look into possible apprentiships or other routes and see what you think.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
There is no sense or need to rush into picking a course. It's okay that you don't know what course you want to do right now, because there is no rush to go. You could go next year or you could go 5 years from now and that would be okay too.

You may also want to consider other options. University isn't the only route you can choose and it might not even be the best option fir you. Look into possible apprentiships or other routes and see what you think.

im putting so much pressure on myself because I don't know what course to do or even what I enjoy!!!! its getting me down so much and I feel like such a failure. I really want to go back to uni in a more confident state of mind with a course I enjoy and gain as much experience and employment qualities as I need.
I have looked at apprenticeships and don't see one that I would enjoy.
I think it would help you if you got yourself at a stage where you're well enough to go to uni. As Sophie Small says, you don't need to go to uni now. There's nothig wrong with going to uni in 5-10 years time.
Original post by Anonymous
im putting so much pressure on myself because I don't know what course to do or even what I enjoy!!!! its getting me down so much and I feel like such a failure. I really want to go back to uni in a more confident state of mind with a course I enjoy and gain as much experience and employment qualities as I need.

Remember uni and apprenticeships aren't the only options. There is a whole world out there.

Putting pressure on yourself is the problem, so you need to cut yourself some slack. Rationalize your thoughts and realise what you are doing is not helping you and try to change your thought patterns accordingly.
Reply 5
You should go to a university open day or summer school to help you decide which subjects you may really enjoy😀
It doesn't matter if you are not sure what subject you want to take you can take a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Remember uni and apprenticeships aren't the only options. There is a whole world out there.

Putting pressure on yourself is the problem, so you need to cut yourself some slack. Rationalize your thoughts and realise what you are doing is not helping you and try to change your thought patterns accordingly.

its hard for me to do that even though im trying to rationalise my thinking, i feel that the more i leave thinking about uni and courses the more it wont come to me.
I think I am going to go back to uni next year if I am happy with a course choice.
its hard for me to do that even though im trying to rationalise my thinking, i feel that the more i leave thinking about uni and courses the more it wont come to me.
I think I am going to go back to uni next year if I am happy with a course choice.

Well stressing out isn't helping. And it's not that big of a deal if you ddon't figure out what you want soon.
Reply 8
Well stressing out isn't helping. And it's not that big of a deal if you ddon't figure out what you want soon.

That's what everyone is telling me but I just cant seem to take on any advise, I feel like I know better! I just don't know how you know which course is right for you and how you go about looking for the right one for you???
That's what everyone is telling me but I just cant seem to take on any advise, I feel like I know better! I just don't know how you know which course is right for you and how you go about looking for the right one for you???

Not everyone knows. Some people never know. Some people pick a course and love it, others pick one and regret it. But at the end of the day it's not the end of the world if you choose wrong, there are other options and ways you can move forward.
Not everyone knows. Some people never know. Some people pick a course and love it, others pick one and regret it. But at the end of the day it's not the end of the world if you choose wrong, there are other options and ways you can move forward.

I just don't want to pick a course and find it boring and be unhappy again. have you had any experiences like this where you couldn't decide? how do some people go about searching for courses apart from open days?
I just don't want to pick a course and find it boring and be unhappy again. have you had any experiences like this where you couldn't decide? how do some people go about searching for courses apart from open days?

I changed my mind numerous times before picking my degree.

Yeah I understand not wanting to do that. Which is why it is important not to push yourself and stress yourself into rushing to pick a degree.
Ahh okay cool! What were your options? And how were able to pick the right one?
Watch YouTube videos of lectures to confirm

please tell me what you ended up doing as i;m in exactly the same position and my mental health has hit rock bottom

Latest

Trending

Trending