The Student Room Group

Should I do Law or Economics at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JohnGreek
Good question, it's the same with Law w/ Anthropology, which is also AAB (whereas the LLB is A*AA). I imagine that it may be under subscribed (by LSE standards), and as such they may want to draw more people who perhaps have a slightly worse academic background towards it.

You get a higher maintenance loan for London, which may or may not cover the additional cost of accommodation and day-to-day costs. You can calculate how much you'd be up for if you studied in London here.

Yeah I suppose so that seems like a good reason. Nevertheless, does this make it an easier course to get into, and do you think my GCSEs are good enough for LSE: 4A* 5A? Also, are they good enough for Oxford History and Economics course? <-- and why is this course have so little people studying it? What are you looking to study? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tommyprice5
But it's still not a requirement for entry. LSE even have a course (Economics A) on their Economics course aimed at students who haven't studied economics before.

Yeah i guess, but certainly you would be at a disadvantage since you would lack that background. I think the 'Economics A' is also more aimed towards international students.
Original post by Youngmetro
Yeah i guess, but certainly you would be at a disadvantage since you would lack that background. I think the 'Economics A' is also more aimed towards international students.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/EC/2015_EC100.htm

'No previous knowledge of economics is assumed'
Original post by maoism123
Yeah I suppose so that seems like a good reason. Nevertheless, does this make it an easier course to get into, and do you think my GCSEs are good enough for LSE: 4A* 5A? Also, are they good enough for Oxford History and Economics course? <-- and why is this course have so little people studying it? What are you looking to study? :smile:

It has a 28% offer rate according to http://university.which.co.uk/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london-l72/economic-history-3-years-8500-v300

It's still a good course, although I would probably advise going for Economics and Economic History rather than straight economic history if you want to go for IB
do you care about career prospects or your own personal happiness though? if you don't get happiness from a career, you won't be very good at it.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/EC/2015_EC100.htm

'No previous knowledge of economics is assumed'

These courses are very competitive and you will ultimately be at a massive disadvantage without A level economics. So many people would have the A level in economics and have thorough knowledge of economics prior to the course.

If you think you can get into a top uni like LSE for economics by scraping through and having a weak application without any knowledge in economics, much weaker than other applicants then i'm afraid you are mistaken.
These courses are very competitive and you will ultimately be at a massive disadvantage without A level economics. So many people would have the A level in economics and have thorough knowledge of economics prior to the course.

If you think you can get into a top uni like LSE for economics by scraping through and having a weak application without any knowledge in economics, much weaker than other applicants then i'm afraid you are mistaken.
This is really quite silly a lot of people who go on to study economics have not studied it before, economics is not a facilitating subject so you might even say that it is better overall to have maths and further maths. Economics is effectively an applied form of mathematics and statistics. There are near no courses that are not facilitating at A level that require that subject to gain entrance to university. If you read in you free time and express an interest in a field with some evidence of reading you will be fine!
Original post by James_mc
This is really quite silly a lot of people who go on to study economics have not studied it before, economics is not a facilitating subject so you might even say that it is better overall to have maths and further maths. Economics is effectively an applied form of mathematics and statistics. There are near no courses that are not facilitating at A level that require that subject to gain entrance to university. If you read in you free time and express an interest in a field with some evidence of reading you will be fine!

I think Cambridge do state they would like applicants to have A level Economics. With LSE, Further maths is only seen as a fourth subject.

If you express interest you would be all fine but I would be wary of the fact that many competitive applicants would also have A level economics and in that way have a greater chance in showing their interest in a subject with solid prior background.
I think Cambridge do state they would like applicants to have A level Economics. With LSE, Further maths is only seen as a fourth subject.

If you express interest you would be all fine but I would be wary of the fact that many competitive applicants would also have A level economics and in that way have a greater chance in showing their interest in a subject with solid prior background.

Fair enough. I mean it'll never be a disadvantage to have it, however I think if you go toward behavioural economics and other quite newish things it's easy to read up In a few months and write a solid personal statement. I'll be going to LSE in September for PPE having studied chemistry biology maths and German :smile:
Fair enough. I mean it'll never be a disadvantage to have it, however I think if you go toward behavioural economics and other quite newish things it's easy to read up In a few months and write a solid personal statement. I'll be going to LSE in September for PPE having studied chemistry biology maths and German :smile:

Wow, that's impressive well done!, did you have to do a lot of preparation for your PS??
Wow, that's impressive well done!, did you have to do a lot of preparation for your PS??

Thank you :smile: well I just read maybe two-three books relating to each subject, tending to be quite broad then just wrote about what is was interested in! My friends told me I'm really good at the personal statement writing style so maybe that got me in xD

Explains my offer then
Explains my offer then

Did I not say 10%? And where did you get an offer from?
Thank you :smile: well I just read maybe two-three books relating to each subject, tending to be quite broad then just wrote about what is was interested in! My friends told me I'm really good at the personal statement writing style so maybe that got me in xD

Clearly you proved yourself to be a strong candidate to get in to such a prestigious uni, well done!
Original post by maoism123
I think at LSE I am interested in Economic History, and at UCL there is a course of History, Politics and Economics which looks good too. I have also looked at History and Econ at Oxford, but I don't know how tough it is to get in to. My GCSEs are below average for Oxford average: 4A* 5A

Remember, HPE at UCL focuses on Soviet/Russian history/politics/economics
Original post by AlmightyJesus
do you care about career prospects or your own personal happiness though? if you don't get happiness from a career, you won't be very good at it.

The vast majority of people don't get happiness from their career

Aye, he was clearly disadvantaged then wasn't he?
Original post by Princepieman
Aye, he was clearly disadvantaged then wasn't he?

He applied for PPE though?

Besides, im just stating facts and inferring from it. 90% is pretty high number and suggests a preference for econ at a level
Did I not say 10%? And where did you get an offer from?

LSE

Look dude, you have to learn when to back down when someone has corrected you. It's not going to make you look like a wuss, it shows humility.

Case in point, my friend did: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and got into Oxford E&M. Other friend did: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art, got into LSE for Econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He applied for PPE though?

Besides, im just stating facts and inferring from it. 90% is pretty high number and suggests a preference for econ at a level

No, 90% shows that uni-level Econ students are likely to study Econ at A-level, out of interest for the subject. It does not show a 'preference'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest