Original post by SunDun111
Would the Dy/DX of Sec squared 3x be 3 Sec sqaured 3x 3Tan Squared 3x

It would be 6tan(3x)sec^2(3x)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Would the Dy/DX of Sec squared 3x be 3 Sec sqaured 3x 3Tan Squared 3x

No, why do you think that?

ddx(sec3x)2=2×(sec3x)21×ddx(sec3x)\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (\sec 3x)^2 = 2 \times (\sec 3x)^{2-1} \times \frac{d}{dx}(\sec 3x)

and ddx(sec3x)=3sec3xtan3x\frac{d}{dx}(\sec 3x) = 3 \sec 3x \tan 3x
Reply 3
Original post by jjsnyder
It would be 2(3secxtanx)^2

Are you sure?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
No, why do you think that?

ddx(sec3x)2=2×(sec3x)21×ddx(sec3x)\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (\sec 3x)^2 = 2 \times (\sec 3x)^{2-1} \times \frac{d}{dx}(\sec 3x)

and ddx(sec3x)=3sec3xtan3x\frac{d}{dx}(\sec 3x) = 3 \sec 3x \tan 3x

Because my teacher didnt teach us the DY/DX of Cot, Cosec and Sec so I am going over it. I thought it would be a 3 Tan 3x but I get it now thank you!
Original post by Zacken
Are you sure?

Aha no totally misread the question :P
Reply 6
Because my teacher didnt teach us the DY/DX of Cot, Cosec and Sec so I am going over it. I thought it would be a 3 Tan 3x but I get it now thank you!

Just rewrite sec3x=(cos3x)1\sec 3x = \left(\cos 3x\right)^{-1} and then use the chain rule. Same applies for the other two reciprocal functions.

they are just reciprocal of tan, sin and cos so just differentiate them in the tan/sin/cos form.

Edit: whooops
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Just rewrite sec3x=(cos3x)1\sec 3x = \left(\cos 3x\right)^{-1} and then use the chain rule. Same applies for the other two reciprocal functions.

Quick question, once I differentiate a trig function, it asks me to show it is an increasing function? What do I do.
Reply 9
Quick question, once I differentiate a trig function, it asks me to show it is an increasing function? What do I do.

A function f(x)f(x) is increasing if its derivative f(x)>0f'(x) > 0 for all xx.

So can you show that your derivative is always positive? Maybe it's a squared quantity or something.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
A function f(x)f(x) is increasing if its derivative f(x)>0f'(x) > 0 for all xx.

So can you show that your derivative is always positive? Maybe it's a squared quantity or something.

Well its 2Sec2x Tan2x + 2Sec Squared 2x
Reply 11
Well its 2Sec2x Tan2x + 2Sec Squared 2x

What's the original function?
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
What's the original function?

The original function was Sec 2x + Tan 2x I had to Differentiate it, it was defined by -pi/4 < x < pi/4
Reply 13
The original function was Sec 2x + Tan 2x I had to Differentiate it, it was defined by -pi/4 < x < pi/4

Okay, so that got you 2sec2xtan2x+2sec22x2\sec 2x \tan 2x +2\sec^2 2x as your rightly said. Can you show that that is always positive (for the given interval of x, obviously).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest