The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

***This is a discussion thread for the AQA MFP3 May 18th 2016 Further Pure 3 Exam ***

This thread is to discuss any questions you have about the AQA FP3 course and to discuss the exam after it happens. I will also be posting the unofficial mark scheme either on this thread or will link to it from here if someone else does it. Good luck in your exams!

I will be regularly checking up on the thread and am happy to help with any questions that people have :smile:

Date:18th May 2016
Time: 09:00
Duration: 1h 30m

FP3 Past Papers: https://goo.gl/5E6idB

Revision Videos: http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/aqa-revision

Grade Boundaries for 100/A*/A
fp3 Grade Boundaries.png

Unnoficial Mark Scheme:

1. Ae^5x/2 - 2x - 4/5

2. 5/3, 8/5

3. Approximation: 2.081, 2.080

4. c=36, d=20, traslate 4 across

5. 0.5x^2 +3x +ln(x+1) +1

6. 1/36

7. I got my constants wrong but I believe this is correct: y= 2cos2x - 1/2(e^pi)sin2x + 1/2(e^4x) + xSin2x - 2xcos2x

8. (1/2)ln3 - 1/2

Credit to JDMason for the answers
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi you might want to correct the date in the title, it says 18th June. Anyway how is revision going?
Reply 2
Original post by Qcomber
Hi you might want to correct the date in the title, it says 18th June. Anyway how is revision going?

Whoops, thanks for that! :smile: Alright for me I haven't really been doing much, I am leaving it closer to the exam as FP3 is one of my better modules. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jjsnyder
Whoops, thanks for that! :smile: Alright for me I haven't really been doing much, I am leaving it closer to the exam as FP3 is one of my better modules. You?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I think FP3 is probably the easiest of the further modules, mostly working on polar coordinates as that's where aqa like to get creative.
What I've not been doing much of is the core stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by Qcomber
Yes I think FP3 is probably the easiest of the further modules, mostly working on polar coordinates as that's where aqa like to get creative.
What I've not been doing much of is the core stuff.

I have also done some interesting polar coordinates. Will start revising around the beginning of may probably, I need to press on with doing STEP questions for now!
Reply 5
I have also done some interesting polar coordinates. Will start revising around the beginning of may probably, I need to press on with doing STEP questions for now!

Step! Cool, which uni(s) is that for? I did the oxford Mat but failed it.
Reply 6
Original post by Qcomber
Step! Cool, which uni(s) is that for? I did the oxford Mat but failed it.

Cambridge :smile: I also did not do well in the MAT, STEP is a little daunting but I am slowly getting there!
Reply 7
Cambridge :smile: I also did not do well in the MAT, STEP is a little daunting but I am slowly getting there!

What other modules are you sitting. Me it's Fp2 M2 and FP4 (resit), along with core and s1

Get on the STEP thread regularly if you need any help with STEP, someone will always be happy to help.
Original post by Qcomber
What other modules are you sitting. Me it's Fp2 M2 and FP4 (resit), along with core and s1

Not OP but I'm taking c3, c4 and m1 for standard maths, and fp1, fp2, fp3, m2, s2 and d1 for further maths as I picked it up this year. I'd much rather do m3 than d1 though, d1 is painfully boring.
Reply 10
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Not OP but I'm taking c3, c4 and m1 for standard maths, and fp1, fp2, fp3, m2, s2 and d1 for further maths as I picked it up this year. I'd much rather do m3 than d1 though, d1 is painfully boring.

I liked D1 last year, it's easy marks, but i agree it can get quite boring sometimes.
Reply 11
Original post by Qcomber

I sat last year:
C2 C3 C4 FP1 S1 S2 M1 D1
This year:
C1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3
I have also learned M4 M5 and FP4 but I am not sitting them, FP4 wasn't very pleasant imo :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by zetamcfc
Get on the STEP thread regularly if you need any help with STEP, someone will always be happy to help.

I am active there every now and then, but mostly I just do my own preparation :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Qcomber
I liked D1 last year, it's easy marks, but i agree it can get quite boring sometimes.

I hated D1, so I refused to do D2 even though it is easy, I just cannot deal with the boredom!
Reply 14
anyone got any tips on getting an A in fm. I'm self teaching fp1-3 m1/2 and s2 this year
Reply 15
Original post by Hjyu1
anyone got any tips on getting an A in fm. I'm self teaching fp1-3 m1/2 and s2 this year

Loads and loads of past papers, all of them, maybe even twice if you are struggling. Start off with old years and you should be hitting solid 85/90+ on them (they are a lot easier), then start on the newer papers which are more challenging and work your way through all of them, then any question you get wrong go to your textbook and do 3 of that exact style question. Repeat this and it will really help you to get an A :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Loads and loads of past papers, all of them, maybe even twice if you are struggling. Start off with old years and you should be hitting solid 85/90+ on them (they are a lot easier), then start on the newer papers which are more challenging and work your way through all of them, then any question you get wrong go to your textbook and do 3 of that exact style question. Repeat this and it will really help you to get an A :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that I've been so nervous about the exams and would u recommend maybe doing step papers as well just up the intensity or is there no point
Reply 17
Original post by Hjyu1
Thanks for that I've been so nervous about the exams and would u recommend maybe doing step papers as well just up the intensity or is there no point

Hmm step papers have a very different style and it would be a lot harder to just focus your revision on FP3 (most questions will involve spotting complex ideas, whereas this is less common in A-Level). If I were you I would just focus on the A-Level papers and really master them, if you have any questions then just post them here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here are the grade boundaries for FP3 for 100ums, a* and a from jan 2010.
Reply 19
Hmm step papers have a very different style and it would be a lot harder to just focus your revision on FP3 (most questions will involve spotting complex ideas, whereas this is less common in A-Level). If I were you I would just focus on the A-Level papers and really master them, if you have any questions then just post them here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that, you feeling ready for the exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending