The Student Room Group

What course do I need to take to teach KS1?

Hi there,

I am currently working as a TA in reception, this was a massive career change for me, I used to be a sales manager and hated every minute of it. At the grand old age of 35, I have finally decided on my career path! I desperately want to teach, preferably KS1 , I have the correct GCSE grades, but that is about it!
Am I correct in thinking my next step is to get a levels so that I may get a degree? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:

Emma
An Access course will probably be a better option for you, though A levels are certainly an option worth considering. Your local FE college will probably offer access courses, either part time (2 years) or full time (1 year).
Reply 2
Think carefully before doing an access course. Life experience and work experience count for a lot when applying for university.
Get experience as a TA then apply to do a teaching degree. You can complete one part time depending on what universities you are near.
Obviously you would need an interview and written test. But I completed mine whilst working without doing an access course first or gaining A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Hydra234
Hi there,

I am currently working as a TA in reception, this was a massive career change for me, I used to be a sales manager and hated every minute of it. At the grand old age of 35, I have finally decided on my career path! I desperately want to teach, preferably KS1 , I have the correct GCSE grades, but that is about it!
Am I correct in thinking my next step is to get a levels so that I may get a degree? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:

Emma

This is the official government website, which explains the various routes into teaching, depending on your current level of qualifications:
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending