The Student Room Group

urgent help people thanks so much

:smile: Grignard reagent is a compound in which magnesium is bonded to an alkyl group (R) and halogen X. It can be represented by the formula RMgX. A Grignard reagent is formed by the reaction of magnesium metal with haloalkane using dry ethoxyethane as a solvent . Ethoxyethane has a boiling point of 35c, forms a dense vapour and is highly flammable. A)give one reason why a hot water bath is used rather than direct heating with a Bunsen burner when preparing the Grignard reagent. B)Grignard reacts with water, suggest why the ethoxyethane protects the Grignard reagent from reacting with water vapour in air .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usmsankhan
:smile: Grignard reagent is a compound in which magnesium is bonded to an alkyl group (R) and halogen X. It can be represented by the formula RMgX. A Grignard reagent is formed by the reaction of magnesium metal with haloalkane using dry ethoxyethane as a solvent . Ethoxyethane has a boiling point of 35c, forms a dense vapour and is highly flammable. A)give one reason why a hot water bath is used rather than direct heating with a Bunsen burner when preparing the Grignard reagent. B)Grignard reacts with water, suggest why the ethoxyethane protects the Grignard reagent from reacting with water vapour in air .

Urgent? Why what's kicking off?

Let's take part A. Question says ethoxyethane is highly flammable. A Bunsen burner gives a naked flame at about 800 degrees. What do you think they are looking for here?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks so you would say that it is less dangerousness to use the water bath . Thanks so much . Really need help on part b also thanks !]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TeachChemistry
Urgent? Why what's kicking off?

Let's take part A. Question says ethoxyethane is highly flammable. A Bunsen burner gives a naked flame at about 800 degrees. What do you think they are looking for here?[so you would say it's less dangerous with water bath could you also pls help with party b thanks so much !]
thanks so you would say that it is less dangerousness to use the water bath . Thanks so much . Really need help on part b also thanks !]

Question says that it 'forms a dense vapour'.
Reply 5
Question says that it 'forms a dense vapour'.

So I don't understand what you would write would you say it's insoluble ?
So I don't understand what you would write would you say it's insoluble ?

True that water and ether are not miscible but...
Think about DENSE vapour vs. water in air. Where is the Grignard reagent? What's on top of it? Does a DENSE vapour rise or fall?
Reply 7
So dense water wouldn't rise right ? But I don't understand how this would come into the answer , sorry .
So dense water wouldn't rise right ? But I don't understand how this would come into the answer , sorry .

I surrender.

The dense vapour on the Grignard reagent keeps moisture in the air out.
Reply 9
I surrender.
Thanks
The dense vapour on the Grignard reagent keeps moisture in the air out.

Thanks so much lol it really helped
Reply 10
Thanks so much lol it really helped

Can I pls ask for help on 1 more question pls
Can I pls ask for help on 1 more question pls

Of course. It's a public forum. :smile:
Reply 12
The question is : why at first is the reaction of calcium with sulphuric acid faster than the reaction of magnesium with HCL ? This is a 2 point answer . For the first point I wrote that calcium is further down the group so is more reactive as it has a large atomic radi and less nuclear charge so would loss electrons more readily making it more reactive . But what would the second point be, really appreciated if u could help ?
The question is : why at first is the reaction of calcium with sulphuric acid faster than the reaction of magnesium with HCL ? This is a 2 point answer . For the first point I wrote that calcium is further down the group so is more reactive as it has a large atomic radi and less nuclear charge so would loss electrons more readily making it more reactive . But what would the second point be, really appreciated if u could help ?

1. Number of H ions greater in sulphuric than HCl for same concentration
2. With sulphuric acid, the metal gets coated with insoluble calcium sulphate preventing the calcium from reacting. Calcium chloride is soluble so this problem doers not occur with hydrochloric acid
Reply 14
Would my answer be correct for the first point ? Also calcium doesn't react with HCL it only reacts with sulphuric acid in the question its magnesium that reacts with HCL . Also how would having hydrogen ions make the reaction of sulphuric acid with calcium faster . Thanks btw

Your reason is completely irrelevant here. If you do need to explain the relative reactivity of group 2 metals then you must say

less effective nuclear charge

and don't forget to mention shielding
Would my answer be correct for the first point ? Also calcium doesn't react with HCL it only reacts with sulphuric acid in the question its magnesium that reacts with HCL . Also how would having hydrogen ions make the reaction of sulphuric acid with calcium faster . Thanks btw

Are you studying A level?

I understand what you mean by Urgent now. :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes
Yes

You've got a huge amount to do then.
Reply 19
So could you pls explain it 2 points pls

Quick Reply

Latest