The Student Room Group
Reading my local paper sums up the state of it. Someone fishing without a license gets fined 2x what the drink drivers get. How can the former possibly be worse?
Original post by JamesN88
Reading my local paper sums up the state of it. Someone fishing without a license gets fined 2x what the drink drivers get. How can the former possibly be worse?

Because he's taking away LIVES. Maybe that why its worse? :s-smilie:
Original post by greatguy 501
Because he's taking away LIVES. Maybe that why its worse? :s-smilie:

Nice try.

I'll elaborate, he was at a carp fishing lake. Carp fishing is a catch and release sport in the UK.
Nice try.

I'll elaborate, he was at a carp fishing lake. Carp fishing is a catch and release sport in the UK.

Well you didn't make that clear in your op.
It makes no sense at all. Reading the local paper, you only get a fine for beating someone up.
Reply 6
I don't really trust papers but some of the sentences for violent offenders are quite clearly a joke.
Original post by greatguy 502
Well you didn't make that clear in your op.

Damn you got banned quick. :smile:

Do they permanently employ someone to track you?
Damn you got banned quick. :smile:

Do they permanently employ someone to track you?

Yes.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It makes no sense at all. Reading the local paper, you only get a fine for beating someone up.

It depends how serious hurt the other is.
Original post by tintin10
Most people seem to think its a joke. Do you think its too soft?

Generally speaking i think that what is deemed legal and illegal is correct however our sentencing laws are completely out of whack and are both too harsh and too soft.

So in terms of being too soft we have instances like Muslims raping girls and being given suspended sentences because of cultural reasons for example. In terms of being too harsh we allow prison sentences for non payment of fines or drug abuse despite the fact that while illegal and stupid, the people committing the crime are not really a danger to others (therefore a fine and a criminal record are much better punishments than wasting money on them in prison).
Well compare to the South African justice system I can't complain. Most major crimes are solved, and offenders of serious offences put behind bars. Sentencing seems to be an issue though. My main fault is that, in common with many justice systems, it seems too concerned with small fry.
Reply 12
Original post by tintin10
Most people seem to think its a joke. Do you think its too soft?

It is for repeat offenders and criminals or people with money. But for the poor or I'll people or mental health etc it can be very severe. Our prisons are full of mentally ill people who shouldn't be their and proper criminals walk the streets. I think if you know how to play system or have money to learn how to, you simply get away with it by creating more work for a bunch of lazy judges or lawyers who will soon if not allready be striking due to lack of pay! Boo boo lol.

Latest