The Student Room Group

Sikhs: Would you marry a Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Anonymous
I know about the history.
And what do you mean by sacrifices?
I don't see how that reflects this topic.

Your choice. None of my business.
i will only marry sikh if i am sick in head
Well I try to be religious sometimes. I am just very busy with other things at the moment. Mainly my studies.

And I'm just interested in what other Sikhs would think about this issue. I do not speak to many Sikhs so I'm just curious.

Okay so a being a 'sikh' translates to being a 'learner'. If you are making no attempt to learn more about your religion, (this goes for anyone on any level of sikhi) - you can't really call yourself a sikh. You can't wake up one day and be like, I'm going to be a sikh today, and the next day be completely anti-sikh (idk if that makes sense).

As mentioned before, sikh perspective on this matter, yes, this is representative of the entire religion, is that no, one would not marry a muslim. Their views are contradictory to ours, their lifestyle is different, and their beliefs are different. To live a life with someone that isn't on the same path as you can be very difficult. If you plan to have children in the future, surely they will be confused when the dad says one thing, and the mom says another.
Original post by BrokenLife
Wow, OP you really like this girl cos you've been thinking about it. :biggrin:

I would genuinely advise you to find out whether she's a strict Muslim or liberal because a strict Muslim will never marry outside Islam. However, liberal Muslim may do but then comes the issue of family if their family is strict.

Well I've never wanted anyone else in my three years in university so it is a big thing for me.
And I think she is more to the strict side, but to me that does not matter.
Well I've never wanted anyone else in my three years in university so it is a big thing for me.
And I think she is more to the strict side, but to me that does not matter.

Aww :biggrin:

Well, if she's a strict Muslim, errrm I can assure you its not worth. While it may not matter to you but it certainly would mater to her if she's strict. Sucks but this is how it is:redface:
There are many differences, and conflicts. You have to communicate about each of these. If you are asking whether you should be with this person, then probably not. When I first realised my friendship with a man of a different religion was more then friendship, I knew I had to decide to either commit log term or, walk away. I decided to stay for many reasons. We are in exactly the same position - Sikh and Muslim. Yes, our beliefs, lifestyles from food to dress to traditions are all different - but we are both committed to learning about each other's, and supporting one another in following the principles of our religions. We continue to discover both major differences and many similarities - we both would like to teach our children both of our religions and allow them to decide which path to take in the future. You both have to find common ground on the offer picture - if you don't have that, then walk away. If you can trust you can both compromise and understand one another's faiths - then you decide, whether that is enough or not.
Actually our holy scripture doesn't mention anything about us not being allowed to marry Muslims, or any non-Sikhs.

Who told you that anyway?

The Anand Karaj itself details that both people are unifying their souls and both shall follow the path of the Gurus, and obviously a Muslim wouldn't be following the path of the Gurus, so by matter of fact it isn't allowed unless she renounces her religion... Even for arguments sake she agrees to marry you, then she would have to bow down before the Granth and do matha tehk, which would be another issue for her to have overcome, since Muslims do not postrate to anything...
(edited 8 years ago)
If you marry her then what religion would your children have ??
As a Sikh, in a relationship with a Muslim guy, I would works ally steer away from doing that. I have experienced trauma in my life and therefore, this is the second biggest conflict I have ever faced which has caused a lot of difficulties for me for the past two years. I will be marrying my Muslim partner in due course, however, my biggest fear is losing my family. This is not a conflict I enjoy being in, however, it is the choice I am making. My partner and I were the best of friends, and two years later knew we inderstood one another so well, and made the other happy, that we just couldn't imagine being with anyone else. Obviously, through friendship - I had no idea this would happen. If I could rewind the time I would simply not be friends with him - but now that I know how much I rely on him both emotionally and spiritually - I couldn't turn away. It started from a simple friendship. If your family would approve of inter racial marriages then by all means, go on a date. I'm not suggesting one date equals marriage - but if you end up being perfect companions, there are a lot of difficulties ahead ... Is it really worth it if you aren't that into her anyway ... ... ?
Original post by Jasveer99
As a Sikh, in a relationship with a Muslim guy, I would works ally steer away from doing that. I have experienced trauma in my life and therefore, this is the second biggest conflict I have ever faced which has caused a lot of difficulties for me for the past two years. I will be marrying my Muslim partner in due course, however, my biggest fear is losing my family. This is not a conflict I enjoy being in, however, it is the choice I am making. My partner and I were the best of friends, and two years later knew we inderstood one another so well, and made the other happy, that we just couldn't imagine being with anyone else. Obviously, through friendship - I had no idea this would happen. If I could rewind the time I would simply not be friends with him - but now that I know how much I rely on him both emotionally and spiritually - I couldn't turn away. It started from a simple friendship. If your family would approve of inter racial marriages then by all means, go on a date. I'm not suggesting one date equals marriage - but if you end up being perfect companions, there are a lot of difficulties ahead ... Is it really worth it if you aren't that into her anyway ... ... ?

Just out of curiosity, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, would you say you are an active practicer of the Sikh faith
Its the same with many Muslim families but mainly when it comes to Muslim females. I've seen some Muslim families who are chilled about it when their son marry outside Islam but when it comes to their daughters, that's another story.

I think its seen as she is leaving their religion but a son is bringing in a person to the religion everyvbody just wants to see their own people grow and develop, and people are resources"!
Original post by ArbinderSingh98
I think its seen as she is leaving their religion but a son is bringing in a person to the religion everyvbody just wants to see their own people grow and develop, and people are resources"!

Yes, absolutely and this one of the reason why Muslim women are not allowed marry non-Muslim men. Tbh religion the rules and restrictions that religions impose are not required, I mean, we're all humans at the end of the day.
depends how much you value your religion, I personally wouldn't marry a muslim because according to Islam I have to convert (Im hindu). If you dont really care then go for it, but you have to convert im pretty sure according to the quran.
It depends what one would count as an active practicer of the Sikh faith, if you are asking whether I am Amritdhari - then no, I am not. The principles and values I hold dear are founded in Sikhism, I do not eat meat, I do not touch intoxicating substances, I care for my family and work hard. I pray with my mother, and continue to learn and read about Sikhism as much as is possible. I regularly visit Punjab, visit places of worship and learn the history of Sikhism. I do not know everything, and am yet very ignorant, but I aim to learn more and more and make prayer both personally and in community with others in gurudwara a more regular occurrence in my lifestyle.
Original post by preetg97

2. I am not interested. I will never meet someone, and enter a relationship with someone who is a Muslim. Period.

What if Zayn Malik asked you out?
The Islamic rule doesn't allow Muslim women to marry outside Islam but some do. I even know a man who married a Hindu lady.

This isnt true, they are allowed to marry Christians and surprisingly even Jews since their God is regarded as the same, but Sikhs? Not so sure, depends on how strict she follows her religion i guess
Original post by Jasveer99
It depends what one would count as an active practicer of the Sikh faith, if you are asking whether I am Amritdhari - then no, I am not. The principles and values I hold dear are founded in Sikhism, I do not eat meat, I do not touch intoxicating substances, I care for my family and work hard. I pray with my mother, and continue to learn and read about Sikhism as much as is possible. I regularly visit Punjab, visit places of worship and learn the history of Sikhism. I do not know everything, and am yet very ignorant, but I aim to learn more and more and make prayer both personally and in community with others in gurudwara a more regular occurrence in my lifestyle.

So after all you have learnt, you are in a relationship with someone who holds views very different to yours.
Yes. Because this man brought me closer to Guru and supports my prayers, visits temples with me, and is happy for me to pursue Sikhism in all respects of my life. He doesn't subscribe to Sikhi himself, there are many beliefs and values which he holds which are the same. There are also numerous differences. I didn't believe in a God for a large portion of my childhood -early adolescence. I now have a much stronger faith in God and use prayer and meditation for my personal wellbeing, and praying for the good of others.
Original post by Ravenous
What if Zayn Malik asked you out?

Couldn't care less :tongue:
Yes, absolutely and this one of the reason why Muslim women are not allowed marry non-Muslim men. Tbh religion the rules and restrictions that religions impose are not required, I mean, we're all humans at the end of the day.

Preach bruh, lets hope we break the cycle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending