The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXcodeXz
Wow how did you revise for literature I want an A*

There was a very good revision website called 'SAM Learning' (this was 8 years ago but it might still be around) which had some very useful stuff relevant to the novel we studied. Literally no idea how I got an A* as I've never been an avid reader, but it's more about your essay writing technique and including 'originality' in the exam answers (not many English teachers tell students this, but that's how you get an A* provided you meet all the other criteria).
Oh my god if I got them results I could get in the school I want!! What did you get separately if you don't mind me asking? And well done!! Amazing work

I got A*s in Further Science, Core Science, English language, history and sociology. The As were in maths and RE, then the Bs were in English lit, additional science (I took it in year 9) and Spanish (also taken in year 9). Rather disappointingly, I also have a C in AS Spanish which I took in year 10. Any help or advice, feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by Username3097486
When studying further maths did you look at A-level tutorials? I'm thinking about using those to further my understanding because im taking it atm

Not really tbh. I went to some revision sessions that my school put on and then did all the past papers. But you could definitely use them, there is a lot of overlap
Hi, what did you guys get in GCSE's, I'm trying to motivate myself to get top grades.

Haha how weird i made a thread about this :smile: x
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Not top grades at all

5A 3B 2C D if I recall correctly. For reasons I've explained in the forum. Regrettably, I did even more poorly in PE than I expected despite getting an A* in the written exam because I wasn't able to do the coursework for medical reasons.

That's pretty sad. Did you try telling the exam board that? They must have dealt with that situation before.
Original post by AnnieBeth61
What sort of grades do you need to get into your school out of interest?

I'm not 100% sure but my friends cousin got 3A*'s 3A's 1B and 1C and he got in
Original post by nisha.sri
Haha how weird i made a thread about this :smile: x

Lol 😂😂
Original post by TomMiller28
I got A*s in Further Science, Core Science, English language, history and sociology. The As were in maths and RE, then the Bs were in English lit, additional science (I took it in year 9) and Spanish (also taken in year 9). Rather disappointingly, I also have a C in AS Spanish which I took in year 10. Any help or advice, feel free to ask! :smile:

Woah!?!?!?! Ok thanks for your help! :smile:
I'm not 100% sure but my friends cousin got 3A*'s 3A's 1B and 1C and he got in

You will make the grades! Trust me the examiners are far kinder than you anticipate
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
There was a very good revision website called 'SAM Learning' (this was 8 years ago but it might still be around) which had some very useful stuff relevant to the novel we studied. Literally no idea how I got an A* as I've never been an avid reader, but it's more about your essay writing technique and including 'originality' in the exam answers (not many English teachers tell students this, but that's how you get an A* provided you meet all the other criteria).

Oh ok thanks!
Original post by AnnieBeth61
You will make the grades! Trust me the examiners are far kinder than you anticipate

But they failed me in Literature and I have to retake
Original post by Dinasaurus
A*, 8As, 3Bs, 0.5 Cs

what do u mean by 0.5 c .half a gcse ?
Original post by salty670
what do u mean by 0.5 c .half a gcse ?

Yeah I did a short course in Citizenship
Original post by Dinasaurus
Yeah I did a short course in Citizenship

ahh
Reply 94
BBBBC
Original post by hellomynameisr
daaaamn thats amazing.

what are you doing now?

A2s (maths Chem and physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my god and I'm doing 9 GCSE's and I can't get 9 A*'s??

Dw u really don't need A*s in everything at GCSE, a few would be helpful though if ur aiming for Russell group unis! My best advice is to use the specifications carefully when you're revising and learn the scoring points in mark schemes for common questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1lilypad1
Dw u really don't need A*s in everything at GCSE, a few would be helpful though if ur aiming for Russell group unis! My best advice is to use the specifications carefully when you're revising and learn the scoring points in mark schemes for common questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok but what if I can't get a lot of A*'s say if I got 1A* 6A's 2B's is that ok? For Russell group?
3A*'s,3A's,2B's,3C's
Ok but what if I can't get a lot of A*'s say if I got 1A* 6A's 2B's is that ok? For Russell group?

I'm not really sure tbh, I think it would be fine for most of them but you should do some research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest