The Student Room Group

Why do people with darker skin never dye their hair?

I was thinking about what it would look like and I can't imagine it, I've occasionally seen some black people with like blonde hair or girls with like red hair but I've never seen a black or brown person with like dyed hair, why does it rarely happen?

Is it cultural or does it just not look as good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
I was thinking about what it would look like and I can't imagine it, I've occasionally seen some black people with like blonde hair or girls with like red hair but I've never seen a black or brown person with like dyed hair, why does it rarely happen?

A black person with red and blond hair is dyed hair...and I've seen it loads of times.
You need to get out more then..
Reply 3
Original post by LittleMissMay
A black person with red and blond hair is dyed hair...and I've seen it loads of times.

Yeah I mean I know Rihanna the singer and some footballers, but never like crazy neon colours. Like its more likely to see a lighter person with like blue, green or like idek what else hair.
I'm trying to find a way of saying "black skin doesn't really compliment bright coloured hair very well" that doesn't sound a bit iffy/edgy to me but I can't bloody do it so here
Reply 5
Original post by TheYearNiner
You need to get out more then..

Do you honestly see darker skinned people with like non (blonde/red) hair often?
Good point OP heres some pics for reference
Reply 7
Oh so is it just not popular amongst certain communities, makes sense.

Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm trying to find a way of saying "black skin doesn't really compliment bright coloured hair very well" that doesn't sound a bit iffy/edgy to me but I can't bloody do it so here

You never see an Indian person with bright hair either tbh.
Reply 8

Because they know they look fit in their natural hair colour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I mean I know Rihanna the singer and some footballers, but never like crazy neon colours. Like its more likely to see a lighter person with like blue, green or like idek what else hair.

Well I don't see it that way but ok. Maybe it's your area or something? I constantly see it. What culture do you think dark-skinned people may have that restricts them from dyeing their hair, and what culture encourages it?
Original post by ForestShadow
Good point OP heres some pics for reference

First guy looks pretty sick tbh, other 2 not so sure
Do you honestly see darker skinned people with like non (blonde/red) hair often?

Rarely.
Well I don't see it that way but ok. Maybe it's your area or something? I constantly see it. What culture do you think dark-skinned people may have that restricts them from dyeing their hair, and what culture encourages it?

Asians tend to be more traditional as far as I know, or wear headscarves for girls.

Guys might think its feminine or something.

You never see an Indian person with bright hair either tbh.

Lol well that is because it might be their culture, but dark black people especially like Caribbeans constantly get it
Asians tend to be more traditional as far as I know, or wear headscarves for girls.

Guys might think its feminine or something.

Are we talking about black people or Asians when you say dark.
Asians obviously probably can't, but yes black dark people have many times done their hair in all sorts of colours lol
Are we talking about black people or Asians when you say dark.
Asians obviously probably can't, but yes black dark people have many times done their hair in all sorts of colours lol

I mean anyone with a 'darker' skin tone, anyone who's skin is darker than say Zayn Malik.

So basically anyone who isn't like White or East Asian.
It's quite hard to dye naturally dark hair bright colours without a lot of bleach and damage, whereas naturally blonde or light hair goes pink/lilac etc quite easily.
Original post by Isabel24
It's quite hard to dye naturally dark hair bright colours without a lot of bleach and damage, whereas naturally blonde or light hair goes pink/lilac etc quite easily.

I always see Asians dying their hair, like Koreans especially.
Well I have curly/afro hair and I have enver died it because 1) My natural hair colour is amazing, and I have natural highlights
2) Dying my hair would damage it, which is why I like to war weave sometimes
Reply 19
For Afro hair, bleaches and dyes are just extremely damaging due to it's texture and more often than not would cause irreparable damage to it. The coloured hair you see on black celebrities (you mentioned Rihanna) is usually wigs or weave, which of course isn't their natural hair
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest