The Student Room Group

Trig

how do i solve sin(theta)cos(theta)-sin(theta)+cos(theta) = 1?
Reply 1
Original post by alesha98

If you write sinθ=x\sin \theta = x and cosθ=y\cos \theta = y it becomes xyx+y1=0xy - x + y - 1= 0 which factorises neatly as (x+1)(y1)=(sinθ+1)(cosθ1)=0(x+1)(y-1) = (\sin \theta +1)(\cos \theta - 1) = 0 i.e:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\sin \theta \cos \theta - \sin \theta + \cos \theta - 1 \equiv (\sin \theta +1)(\cos \theta - 1)\end{equation*}

So that you get two family of solutions:

sinθ+1=0\sin \theta + 1 = 0 or cosθ1=0\cos \theta - 1= 0.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

Bring the 1 over to the other side and see if you can put the LHS into two brackets.

Spoiler

Express sin(theta) as a function of cos(theta) then you should be able to obtain a constant term from the function of cos(theta). This gives you the sin(theta) term but I didn't notice what Zacken had put. Don't listen to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

If you're not entirely sure why it factorises the way it does in my post, then consider this:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\sin \theta \cos \theta - \sin \theta + \cos \theta - 1 \equiv \sin \theta (\cos \theta -1) + (\cos \theta - 1) \equiv (\cos \theta - 1)(\sin \theta +1)\end{equation*}

By pulling out the common factor out (cosθ1)(\cos \theta - 1).
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
If you're not entirely sure why it factorises the way it does in my post, then consider this:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\sin \theta \cos \theta - \sin \theta + \cos \theta - 1 \equiv \sin \theta (\cos \theta -1) + (\cos \theta - 1) \equiv (\cos \theta - 1)(\sin \theta +1)\end{equation*}

By pulling out the common factor out (cosθ1)(\cos \theta - 1).

Thankyou so much
Reply 6
Thankyou so much

You're very welcome!
Original post by Zacken
If you write sinθ=x\sin \theta = x and cosθ=y\cos \theta = y it becomes xyx+y1=0xy - x + y - 1= 0 which factorises neatly as (x+1)(y1)=(sinθ+1)(cosθ1)=0(x+1)(y-1) = (\sin \theta +1)(\cos \theta - 1) = 0 i.e:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\sin \theta \cos \theta - \sin \theta + \cos \theta - 1 \equiv (\sin \theta +1)(\cos \theta - 1)\end{equation*}

So that you get two family of solutions:

sinθ+1=0\sin \theta + 1 = 0 or cosθ1=0\cos \theta - 1= 0.

so what if i take out sinθ \sin \theta as a common factor? do i lose some answers?
Original post by thefatone
so what if i take out sinθ \sin \theta as a common factor? do i lose some answers?

If you divide an equation by something which could be zero then you will lose solutions, for example x^2 - 2x = 0; dividing by x gives x - 2 = 0 -> x = 2, which misses the solution x = 0.
Reply 9

Well, depends on what you mean. But I don't see how it would be useful.
Original post by Zacken
Well, depends on what you mean. But I don't see how it would be useful.

i did this

sinθ(cosθ1+cosθ)=1\sin \theta \left(\cos \theta -1+ \cos \theta \right)=1
which gave me
sinθ(2cosθ1)=1\sin \theta \left(2\cos \theta -1 \right)=1
then i would solve from there but that doesn't seem right...
Reply 11
i did this

sinθ(cosθ1+cosθ)=1\sin \theta \left(\cos \theta -1+ \cos \theta \right)=1
which gave me
sinθ(2cosθ1)=1\sin \theta \left(2\cos \theta -1 \right)=1
then i would solve from there but that doesn't seem right...

It is right, it's just massively useless. How would you proceed from here?
Original post by Zacken
It is right, it's just massively useless. How would you proceed from here?

lol i know TeeEm would kill me for this

but i'd continue to solve for values of theta

so

sinθ=1\sin\theta=1
and
2cosθ1=12\cos\theta-1=1
Reply 13

That's not how it works. You can only do equate each factor to zero if your equation is of the form f(x)=0f(x) = 0.

Otherwise, do you think we can do this: (x1)2=x22x+1=0x(x2)=1(x-1)^2 = x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow x(x-2) = 1 so x=1x=1 and x2=1x=3x-2=1 \Rightarrow x = 3? Is this valid.

Nopes, it is not the case that ab=cab = c then a=ca=c or b=0b=0. This is only true if c=0.
Original post by Zacken
That's not how it works. You can only do equate each factor to zero if your equation is of the form f(x)=0f(x) = 0.

Otherwise, do you think we can do this: (x1)2=x22x+1=0x(x2)=1(x-1)^2 = x^2 - 2x + 1 = 0 \Rightarrow x(x-2) = 1 so x=1x=1 and x2=1x=3x-2=1 \Rightarrow x = 3? Is this valid.

Nopes, it is not the case that ab=cab = c then a=ca=c or b=0b=0. This is only true if c=0.

there we go that's what i was looking for
Reply 15
there we go that's what i was looking for

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest