The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography

Hello,
I am slightly confused as to what the definition of 'abrasion' is in the 'Coastal Zone' section. In my exercise book I have it as: - Loose rocks are dragged against the sea floor and are then thrown against the cliff. However, in the textbook and revision guide they both say things along the lines of: - This is the 'sandpapering' effect of pebbles grinding over a rocky platform, often causing it to become smooth. This second definition makes sense because it is more or less the same as the one for Ice on the Land. Please could someone clarify which one is correct.

Thanks
Original post by daisie
Hello,
I am slightly confused as to what the definition of 'abrasion' is in the 'Coastal Zone' section. In my exercise book I have it as: - Loose rocks are dragged against the sea floor and are then thrown against the cliff. However, in the textbook and revision guide they both say things along the lines of: - This is the 'sandpapering' effect of pebbles grinding over a rocky platform, often causing it to become smooth. This second definition makes sense because it is more or less the same as the one for Ice on the Land. Please could someone clarify which one is correct.

Thanks

I do geography too. In my book I have: "hurling of rock against the cliff face, wearing it down."
However, I think it would be good if we merged them all together.

"Loose pebbles and rocks are thrown against the cliff face, wearing it down and causing it to become smooth."
:wink:
the sandpapering effect is just because the rocks become less angular and more smooth after abrasion - they are both correct definitions :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
the sandpapering effect is just because the rocks become less angular and more smooth after abrasion - they are both correct definitions :smile:

awesome:wink: good luck with the geo exam... ours is in about 6 weeks
Original post by Ella_08

Yeah ours is too! Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah ours is too! Good luck :smile:

Original post by Ella_08

Me too! What topics are you doing?
Original post by daisie

glaciation, urbanisation, development gap, population growth, water on the land & the restless earth

you? :smile:
Reply 7
Urbanisation, Globalisation and Tourism for Human

Restless Earth, Glaciation and Coasts for Physical :smile:

glaciation, urbanisation, development gap, population growth, water on the land & the restless earth

you? :smile:
Original post by daisie

ah cool so some of the same! which is your favourite topic? :smile:
Original post by daisie

Paper 1: urban environment, coastal environment
Paper 2: tourism, natural hazards

like them all tbh
Original post by daisie

We do really similar topics! How is revision going? I'm mainly revising on paper 1 (urban, coasts) now. I'll go over paper 2 content over the next half term because the paper2 exam is after the half term
Reply 11
Original post by Ella_08
We do really similar topics! How is revision going? I'm mainly revising on paper 1 (urban, coasts) now. I'll go over paper 2 content over the next half term because the paper2 exam is after the half term

It's going okay I think! Are you doing AQA Geography B? You're lucky you only have 4 topics I have 6! :frown:
Original post by daisie
It's going okay I think! Are you doing AQA Geography B? You're lucky you only have 4 topics I have 6! :frown:

Glad to hear it (; and yup i am. i'm guessing you do AQA A? Ik i'm pretty lucky, i don't know why you do two more. Maybe our units are more in depth? i wish you all the best x
Reply 13
Original post by Ella_08
Paper 1: urban environment, coastal environment
Paper 2: tourism, natural hazards

like them all tbh

SNAP :biggrin:
Im creating some mindmaps to revise from!
Take it you are with AQA?
Original post by Ace C
SNAP :biggrin:
Im creating some mindmaps to revise from!
Take it you are with AQA?

Cool :biggrin: mindmaps r awesome. yup i'm with AQA B. I'm making this revision guide thing for urban environments which is quite detailed and has all the case studies in it. Maybe i can email it you when I'm done?
Reply 15
Original post by Ella_08
Cool :biggrin: mindmaps r awesome. yup i'm with AQA B. I'm making this revision guide thing for urban environments which is quite detailed and has all the case studies in it. Maybe i can email it you when I'm done?

Hi :smile: That sounds great thanks! I'll PM you my email address.
Regards,
Ace C

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending