The Student Room Group

Oxford book question (Waves)

I'm stuck on this question in the waves section of the Oxford book for AQA physics. IMG_3456.jpg

The question is "How would you expect the interference pattern to change if the two dippers were moved further apart?"

I think that if they were moved further away there would be more points of cancellation and also a less distinct interference pattern due to the waves diffracting more before interfering?

I'm pretty unconfident on this however so any clarification would be helpful!
Reply 1
It's annoying how the physics textbook only has the answers to the calculations for the summary questions 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JakeRStudent
I'm stuck on this question in the waves section of the Oxford book for AQA physics. IMG_3456.jpg

The question is "How would you expect the interference pattern to change if the two dippers were moved further apart?"

I think that if they were moved further away there would be more points of cancellation and also a less distinct interference pattern due to the waves diffracting more before interfering?

I'm pretty unconfident on this however so any clarification would be helpful!

Think about it by drawing a picture.

When I did this, the further apart the dippers, the larger the distance between fringes on the screen.

Quick Reply

Latest