The Student Room Group

Completed 3 year degree but don't want to do NQT year

Hey,
I'm a third year student in my last year of teacher training and I'm certain I don't want to be a teacher anymore. I feel like I've completely wasted 3 years of my life (not to mention racked up heaps of debt) just so I can finish the degree I started. I really don't enjoy teaching, I hate that I can't switch off when im home as there is always something I could be doing. It takes me hours to plan lessons and most of the time I'm completely lost. I did enjoy the degree but the school placements just make me completely stressed and I suffer from awful anxiety. I know this won't get better during my NQT year - if anything every teacher keeps telling me it was the hardest year of their career, so I'm dreading it and seriously considering not doing it.

I wanted to ask if anyone else has completed the BAhons degree but not carried out the NQT year? What kind of career did you end up in? Is it stupid not to complete the NQT year to receive QTS? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile: (BAHONS primary ages 5-11 with QTS)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi

Just read your post and while I haven't got a lot of advice I can appreciate your position.

I'm currently coming to the end of my PGCE and have come to the conclusion that I don't want to be a teacher. I have worked in education for 4 years before doing the PGCE and not seen anything from any teacher that leads me to believe it gets better/easier at any stage. Like you I can't switch off and it is taking away time I could be spending with my family. Even when I do make time for them the endless list of jobs to do is always at the back of my mind.

I have a job for September so I will complete my NQT year then will be moving on.

For what it's worth your degree won't ever be wasted as you have a lot of skills you can use elsewhere.

Hope that helps in some way!
Reply 2
I've worked with many teachers who said the same thing. In they were completing their NQT and leaving. But it is weird how the job gets hold of you and yes it does get easier! That said I completely understand about the constant thinking about what you need to be doing when you supposed to be spending time with family and friends

To sum up I would suggest that you definitely do your NQT year and there are other options open to you after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm in the exact same position - hope you're ok I feel like a big failure.

I'm debating doing a graduate scheme or post-grad course in something else I was going to study at university.

I feel like I have lost all passion for it; and seeing as there is no time constraint on when to complete your NQT year; I'm wanting to do something else.
Original post by Wozzles
Hey,I'm a third year student in my last year of teacher training and I'm certain I don't want to be a teacher anymore. I feel like I've completely wasted 3 years of my life (not to mention racked up heaps of debt) just so I can finish the degree I started. I really don't enjoy teaching, I hate that I can't switch off when im home as there is always something I could be doing. It takes me hours to plan lessons and most of the time I'm completely lost. I did enjoy the degree but the school placements just make me completely stressed and I suffer from awful anxiety. I know this won't get better during my NQT year - if anything every teacher keeps telling me it was the hardest year of their career, so I'm dreading it and seriously considering not doing it.I wanted to ask if anyone else has completed the BAhons degree but not carried out the NQT year? What kind of career did you end up in? Is it stupid not to complete the NQT year to receive QTS? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile: (BAHONS primary ages 5-11 with QTS)
Well, I'm secondary so maybe this is different, but I can identify with all the negatives you list. My NQT year has been the toughest of my life, and I got SO close to quitting last Christmas, but I'm feeling better now and though I've decided 11-18 teaching isn't for me, I'm now set on pursuing post-16 teaching, which is the aspect of the job I am passionate about.

Original post by nyancats
there is no time constraint on when to complete your NQT year.

Isn't there? I thought you had 5 years to do it after your training.
Reply 5
Original post by Squoosh25

Isn't there? I thought you had 5 years to do it after your training.

I thought that too, but this is what it says on the National Union of Teachers website "There is no requirement to start induction within a.
certain time after completion of initial teacher education (ITE). In England, there is no longer a requirement for NQTs to apply for an extension if they have not completed induction in five years. NQTs can now take as long as they wish to complete induction."
Posting for future readers, buy after completing the 3 year degree in Primary Education with QTS, I’ve decided that it isn’t for me. It makes me sad, I see my fellow uni friends set up their classrooms and I get a little jealous, like that could be me, but my last placement showed me what I would have to sacrifice, that my evenings and holidays were not mine but unofficial working hours. I wake up and think of school, I do school, I come home and do work for school and repeat. I love the children, working with children is my passion, that hasn’t changed. That’s why I’m currently training to be a paediatric nurse. Sure I’m still doing 12 hour shifts, but this time with a smile on my face, my evenings are my own. I miss teaching, but we all know being a teacher is much more standing in front of a board talking, and unfortunately, it wasn’t for me.
This is such a sad thread.

Try different/better schools before making a judgement/final decision on education from one school, class or student. There are loads of great schools out there, you just need to find them. Eg, the Independent Sector has considerably better behaviour, facilities and smaller class sizes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending