The Student Room Group

M1 friction question involving rough wire

Screenshot_2016-04-05-23-02-53_1.jpg hi I would like to know why the normal reaction force is acting in the direction shown in the diagram. Why wouldnt R act in the direction opposite to the one in the diagram? I get why F acts in that way by the way. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by coconut64
Screenshot_2016-04-05-23-02-53_1.jpg hi I would like to know why the normal reaction force is acting in the direction shown in the diagram. Why wouldnt R act in the direction opposite to the one in the diagram? I get why F acts in that way by the way. Thanks!

This is how I think of it, which then doesn't guarantee that it's correct, is that the wire needs to pull back in the opposite direction in order to stay stationary, as otherwise it would be massive pulled to the right

For example, if I held a ball in my hand, the ball has mass so pushes downwards, in order for my hand to remain upright and not helplessly fall to the ground it needs to exert a force upwards to maintain equilibrium :h:
Reply 2
Original post by KaylaB
This is how I think of it, which then doesn't guarantee that it's correct, is that the wire needs to pull back in the opposite direction in order to stay stationary, as otherwise it would be massive pulled to the right

For example, if I held a ball in my hand, the ball has mass so pushes downwards, in order for my hand to remain upright and not helplessly fall to the ground it needs to exert a force upwards to maintain equilibrium :h:

Ah ! That makes sense and your analogy seems to work in other similar questions as well. Thanks, thats quite clever.
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
Ah ! That makes sense and your analogy seems to work in other similar questions as well. Thanks, thats quite clever.

No problem :hat2:
there must be a force to the left as the tension has a component to the right. as ^^ said.
Reply 5
Original post by KaylaB
This is how I think of it, which then doesn't guarantee that it's correct

It is. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest