The Student Room Group

Language oral exams?

Hi, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for the speaking exams for languages?
I'm asking this in the A level section even though I do aqa iGCSE because apparently the A level ones are on the spot (but normal GCSE ones aren't)
I do French and Spanish and was thinking about just learning some key phrases :/
bump? :redface:
Reply 2
well I make flash cards then check if im saying the right thing ive managed to get three As well I do edexcel but it's still an oral exam i guess.
I'm doing AS Samish. Although most of it is on the spot, some of it can be prepared. For GCSE, read through the question list for each topic and prepare answers to the questions you like. Only some of the questions need to be 'unprepared', so for them, just learn the vocabulary of the topic.

To learn vocab: stick to that language's words with their meanings on bedroom wall. Read through every night and highlight the one's you remember (try using it in a sentence).

Change the language on your phone to the language you are studying, it actually helps a lot!

Speak to yourself in the languages you are learning, crazy but it's useful.

If you know someone that speaks the language you are studying, tell them to speak to you only in that language when they see you

Watch things from France and Spain (I got through a whole season of a German soap opera for my German GCSE, it was like friends forgot the name!)

In your spare time write a story in French/Spanish

Overall, just find little ways to enjoy learning French/Spanish.
Reply 5
Ok yes so the random/unknown convo bit is the worst haha. But there are some things you can prepare for it:

- Good opinion phrases (are these valued at IGCSE? not sure) > I'm not sure I wanna suggest any as they'll all be AS Level ones; but still like Ich bin mir sicher, dass... or Ich vertrete den Standpunkt, dass...
- Learn a really complex grammar structured phrase you can throw in > just learn one or two that you can easily manipulate to say at any point; it'll sound great.
- You know the topics that could come up so REVISE AS MUCH SPECIFIC VOCAB AS POSSIBLE. E.g. for a family topic... don't just learn basic words like "family" or "friendships" but also "acquaintances" and "relatives" and "family bonds" etc.
- Practice with yourself in the mirror; it'll seem weird but go for it.

i am sorry i just gave you german examples when you don't do german... lmao... they mean "I am certain, that" and "I take the standpoint, that".
==
@surina16
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
Ok yes so the random/unknown convo bit is the worst haha. But there are some things you can prepare for it:

- Good opinion phrases (are these valued at IGCSE? not sure) > I'm not sure I wanna suggest any as they'll all be AS Level ones; but still like Ich bin mir sicher, dass... or Ich vertrete den Standpunkt, dass...
- Learn a really complex grammar structured phrase you can throw in > just learn one or two that you can easily manipulate to say at any point; it'll sound great.
- You know the topics that could come up so REVISE AS MUCH SPECIFIC VOCAB AS POSSIBLE. E.g. for a family topic... don't just learn basic words like "family" or "friendships" but also "acquaintances" and "relatives" and "family bonds" etc.
- Practice with yourself in the mirror; it'll seem weird but go for it.

i am sorry i just gave you german examples when you don't do german... lmao... they mean "I am certain, that" and "I take the standpoint, that".
==
@surina16

Thank you so much :h:
yeah they're obsessed with justifying everything you say with an opinion :tongue:
I was planning on maybe learning a subjunctive phrase or 2 to chuck in?
Okay I'll try talking to myself in the mirror :biggrin:
Do you have any advice on what to do when they ask you a question that you don't understand? That's my biggest fear right now :/
Reply 7
Original post by surina16
Thank you so much :h:
yeah they're obsessed with justifying everything you say with an opinion :tongue:
I was planning on maybe learning a subjunctive phrase or 2 to chuck in?
Okay I'll try talking to myself in the mirror :biggrin:
Do you have any advice on what to do when they ask you a question that you don't understand? That's my biggest fear right now :/

Subjunctive sounds complicated enough for GCSE, go for it :smile:

If you're uncertain them, ask in your language, if they can clarify what they mean :tongue:!

Quick Reply

Latest