The Student Room Group

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
Did your oreo cheesecake require baking at all? Or was it a no-bake cheesecake?

I started with the no-bake recipe, changed my mind halfway and used the bake recipe instead. Much nicer.
x

I have an idea. Do you have a recipe to make instant noodles better?
Original post by jenigma
I have an idea. Do you have a recipe to make instant noodles better?

Yeah it's throw them in the bin and buy proper egg/rice noodles :wink:
Yeah it's throw them in the bin and buy proper egg/rice noodles :wink:

Oh. I thought you were all about innovation :lol:
Original post by jenigma
Oh. I thought you were all about innovation :lol:

Okay I'll try.

What type of instant noodles?
Okay I'll try.

What type of instant noodles?

Let's go Indian.. Maggi curry noodles
Original post by jenigma
Let's go Indian.. Maggi curry noodles

I've never heard of them.

I imagine you get solid noodles and then have a sachet you pour in and then add water?

I wouldn't bother using the flavour sachet, just use the noodles and make your own spice mix with fresh veg instead. It obviously then isn't instant, but it's probably a lot better for you.

I always cook fresh noodles, mostly rice noodles and all you do is soak them in hot water and let them rest. Then you are free to do with them what you want.

I slice ginger with a mandolin, add garlic and lime zest + a bit of juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and you got yourself an easy stir fry with noodles that don't require any work.

There is no need for anybody to ever eat instant noodles like Pot Noodle other than convenience.
I've never heard of them.

I imagine you get solid noodles and then have a sachet you pour in and then add water?

I wouldn't bother using the flavour sachet, just use the noodles and make your own spice mix with fresh veg instead. It obviously then isn't instant, but it's probably a lot better for you.

I always cook fresh noodles, mostly rice noodles and all you do is soak them in hot water and let them rest. Then you are free to do with them what you want.

I slice ginger with a mandolin, add garlic and lime zest + a bit of juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and you got yourself an easy stir fry with noodles that don't require any work.

There is no need for anybody to ever eat instant noodles like Pot Noodle other than convenience.

How do you have all the money to buy the ingredients like steak...? #poorstudent

I might try the recipe there. Any for egg noodles? With meat/veg?
Original post by jenigma
How do you have all the money to buy the ingredients like steak...? #poorstudent

I might try the recipe there. Any for egg noodles? With meat/veg?

It will work for egg noodles or rice noodles. But follow the instructions on the egg noodles incase you have to do anything more.

Pick a meat and then roll it with a rolling pin to get it as flat as possible, then cut into really thin strips (you can buy meats already prepared for stir fry like beef), but if using chicken breast, butterfly it first then roll it and slice it really thin. Season with salt + peppah.

Use a wok, lube it up with a lil bit of sesame oil and then in goes the chicken/beef strips. Get the wok really hot (smoking) before, THEN put the oil in and then the chicken. When the chicken hits the pan it should immediately hiss.

After a few minutes when the chickens browned nicely, chuck in some diced garlic/ginger and like, press it up the side of the wok or into the meat so you really infuse that flavour. Lower the heat a bit and add your stir fry veg. Peppers , tenderstem broc tips are good, carrots, whatever. Stir it around in the wok and add soy sauce/fish sauce for colour and flavour. Add the (cooked) noodles and stir it all up again.

Garnish with lime.

Serrveeeeee

:colone:
It will work for egg noodles or rice noodles. But follow the instructions on the egg noodles incase you have to do anything more.

Pick a meat and then roll it with a rolling pin to get it as flat as possible, then cut into really thin strips (you can buy meats already prepared for stir fry like beef), but if using chicken breast, butterfly it first then roll it and slice it really thin. Season with salt + peppah.

Use a wok, lube it up with a lil bit of sesame oil and then in goes the chicken/beef strips. Get the wok really hot (smoking) before, THEN put the oil in and then the chicken. When the chicken hits the pan it should immediately hiss.

After a few minutes when the chickens browned nicely, chuck in some diced garlic/ginger and like, press it up the side of the wok or into the meat so you really infuse that flavour. Lower the heat a bit and add your stir fry veg. Peppers , tenderstem broc tips are good, carrots, whatever. Stir it around in the wok and add soy sauce/fish sauce for colour and flavour. Add the (cooked) noodles and stir it all up again.

Garnish with lime.

Serrveeeeee

:colone:

Sounds amazing! I'll let you know how it goes, thank you :biggrin:
This is a great idea. Definitely keep doing this!
Speaking of yogurt, you lift don't you Sophie?

Get yourself some Arla Skyr! Low calorie, high protein/low fat Icelandic yogurt. Our asda has just started stocking it and currently doing two for £2 on 450g pots.

Angry Cucumber can vouch for the stuff (?)

Nope I don't lift.

But I do like yoghurt, I just never buy it for some reason.
Chicken Teriyaki with jasmine rice coming up.
Oh and i'll give my kitchen a clean so you guys don't think I'm a dirty cretin.
I've been meaning to get around to creating this thread in a while. I'm a student that loves food. I love to spend money on food, sourcing fresh and interesting ingredients wherever I can to conjure up some tasty dishes. I spend about £50 a week on average on ingredients. Sometimes less, often more. I am firm believer that everybody should take the time to learn how to cook. It's an enjoyable life skill and if you're curious and adventurous, opens you up to new dishes and flavours that you'd otherwise be missing out on.

The purpose of this blog is to document what I cook and hopefully give/receive tips on general cooking and maybe inspire some to learn themselves. I cook a variety of cuisines from all over the world.

I'll also take requests, if you have a dish you particularly enjoy making, post a recipe and I'll give it a go. I'll start off with simpler, easier dishes and then start to showcase some longer, more complicated dishes at the weekend.

TSRians, I present to you...

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Dish #1 - Steak Sandwich

Spoiler

Dish #2 Chicken Tikka Masala

Spoiler

Up coming dishes

Chicken Teriyaki with veg served with fragrant jasmine rice.

Oxtail with butterbeans and rice

Jerk chicken with rice and peas.

Nasi Goreng is an Indonesian dish and it's REALLY hard to make from scratch. It takes a lot of ingredients and planning so I'll do this some point over the weekend.

Duck with 5spice marinade and spring onion (This one is complicated and very expensive - I've never attempted it so I hope I get it right)

Homemade sausage rolls.

Alcoholic Wine Gums. My friends are coming up to visit and it's her birthday so I'm going to surprise her with these.

Wow that all looks so incredible! Looking forward to seeing your duck!
Original post by Queen Cersei
Wow that all looks so incredible! Looking forward to seeing your duck!

Thanks Queen Cersei,

I think I'll do the duck tonight. It's a tricky one with quite a lot of ingredients so I'll try and get good pictures!
This is amazing! :drool: I am definitely excited for more! :awesome:
My heart says yes but my bank account says no :frown: .
Your food is really impressive!
How long have you been cooking?
Original post by rachelmary97
My heart says yes but my bank account says no :frown: .
Your food is really impressive!
How long have you been cooking?

I'd say about a year of actually trying to learn how to properly cook.
Chicken Teriyaki with Jasmine rice and Veg

Sorry it's a bit late, should of been done by lunch. I got carried away. I'm off to the gym now and then when I'm back, I'll get started on the duck. That's where the cooking starts.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest