The Student Room Group

muslims only - how do I get my faith back?

I stopped praying and it doesn't bother me.
I usually read quran everyday and hoped that if I keep reading I might get my faith or motivate me to pray but it doesn't.

And when I don't, I doesn't bother me.

How do I start caring and stop it "not bothering me"?

Scroll to see replies

Why do you feel it is important to get your faith back?
Its clearly bothering you; hence, this post.
Original post by Anonymous
I usually read quran everyday and hoped that if I keep reading I might get my faith or motivate me to pray but it doesn't.

Because you're in a habit of not praying. You're used to not praying and this feels normal to you. Start praying and after a while you will find it difficult to miss one purposefully.
Reply 4
Original post by ODES_PDES

because I just feel in my heart, I know that it's right like. I might not even agree with it in some places but I have this overriding feeling in my heart and I know that Allah exists.

Original post by BristolFresher15
Its clearly bothering you; hence, this post.

maybe a bit, I'm just future thinking and know that I will regret this at some point. When it's actually time for praying it doesn't bother me, when I reflect on what I've done or in this case not done then it does bother me. Also, when I used to pray my life used to be so much better organised cause I would make everything work around the 5 prayers, right now everything is a shambles.

Original post by Nihilisme
Join ISIS.

no, that's even more haraam.
because I just feel in my heart, I know that it's right like. I might not even agree with it in some places but I have this overriding feeling in my heart and I know that Allah exists.

You do not need to be a practicing Muslim to believe in Allah.

If we don't have our faith - we have nothing. And praying 5 times daily distinguishes us from a non-believer
Reply 7

Salam. You're probably so far into the habit of not praying that it has (almost) stopped bothering you. However, you have posted this which means that somewhere you're still bothered (even if you think you're not). I'd say actively study the importance of salah, prayer and reading the Qur'an with translation. A little refresher on why you pray, what you achieve by praying and what you avoid by praying would help you to start caring. Also, if you've diverted then pray for your guidance and actively try to make prayer your routine again. Oh and try looking at why you've diverted. Is there a reason for that. What are you doing instead? Is your mind focusing on other 'more important' things? What is your company like? Anyway, I pray that motivation will come your way. Stay blessed bro/sis :smile:
You do not need to be a practicing Muslim to believe in Allah.

no offence but...
I already "believe in Allah" that's not the issue, so do christians and jews.

Not praying actually takes you out of the fold of Islam.

Original post by samina_ay
If we don't have our faith - we have nothing. And praying 5 times daily distinguishes us from a non-believer

what Samina has said it true.
Praying is literally the most reiterated thing, it's so important. y. Sometime I do the odd asr. What is wrong me :frown:
Original post by hoorie
Salam. You're probably so far into the habit of not praying that it has (almost) stopped bothering you. However, you have posted this which means that somewhere you're still bothered (even if you think you're not). I'd say actively study the importance of salah, prayer and reading the Qur'an with translation. A little refresher on why you pray, what you achieve by praying and what you avoid by praying would help you to start caring. Also, if you've diverted then pray for your guidance and actively try to make prayer your routine again. Oh and try looking at why you've diverted. Is there a reason for that. What are you doing instead? Is your mind focusing on other 'more important' things? What is your company like? Anyway, I pray that motivation will come your way. Stay blessed bro/sis :smile:

I don't have the time and/or energy to actively study the importance of praying. Like I can't even get up to pray let alone spend time researching.

I guess I mean I sometimes read hadith on the punishments of it but it just doesn't affect me like it used to :frown:

I'm trying to think of why I diverted. I'm not entirely sure. I think I was angry at Islam for some time and I felt like there was no point in me praying cause I didn't want to submit to Allah. I also find it hard to get up and do normal stuff anyway, I just cba, and I think that has translated to prayers as well.

Thank you (:
Reply 10
Ummmm why has it gone from Anon1 to Anon2? :s-smilie: I'm confused
Original post by ZuluK
Ummmm why has it gone from Anon1 to Anon2? :s-smilie: I'm confused

Perhaps someone is trying to troll the OP? OP could also have two accounts and may have swapped for whatever reason? :dontknow:
I guess I mean I sometimes read hadith on the punishments of it but it just doesn't affect me like it used to :frown:

Then stop focusing on the punishments and think of the rewards :lol:

I think it's bad to empathise on the punishments of not praying rather than the benefits of praying.

In the Quran heaven and hell are both mentioned 77 times. You don't just simply focus on the punishment, but also look at the rewards as well.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Perhaps someone is trying to troll the OP? OP could also have two accounts and may have swapped for whatever reason? :dontknow:

yes because I get banned sometimes but my TSR addiction is too strong.

sorry for the confusion

Original post by Axel Johann
Then stop focusing on the punishments and think of the rewards :lol:

I think it's bad to empathise on the punishments of not praying rather than the benefits of praying.

In the Quran heaven and hell are both mentioned 77 times. You don't just simply focus on the punishment, but also look at the rewards as well.

you are right, however most of the rewards are materialistic and when I hear them I'm just like .... okay. Well some of them are not but it's difficult for me to feel desire for a reward I am not even able to fathom or like getting the reward is so far in the future I just meh...
Reply 14
How about just taking a day where you focus solely on your faith? Pray the 5 salahs, read the Quran, listen to lectures and just question why you're losing interest...

Shaytaan is taking over and Ramadan is nearing by. Inshallah that should help you focus on your deen and faith and not on the dunya. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by IdeasForLife

Lol I think he either got banned or is tryin not to get banned 😂
Original post by ZuluK
How about just taking a day where you focus solely on your faith? Pray the 5 salahs, read the Quran, listen to lectures and just question why you're losing interest...

Shaytaan is taking over and Ramadan is nearing by. Inshallah that should help you focus on your deen and faith and not on the dunya. :smile:

The taking a whole day thing is such a good idea!! thank you. Sometimes I do listen to lectures that are concise and it does bring a sort of love for Allah back in my heart. Alot of lectures are just too long haha short attention span/ get bored. But yes I will do that.

please don't mention Ramadan, last ramadan was so horrible for me.

Spoiler

I'm actually quite ashamed of that ^ lol.
Reply 17
The taking a whole day thing is such a good idea!! thank you. Sometimes I do listen to lectures that are concise and it does bring a sort of love for Allah back in my heart. Alot of lectures are just too long haha short attention span/ get bored. But yes I will do that.

please don't mention Ramadan, last ramadan was so horrible for me.

Spoiler

I'm actually quite ashamed of that ^ lol.

Um the spoiler was tmi :redface: 😂😂😂 Loool

But yeah take it a day at a time, and you can find short lectures... Even some by young guys who speak about Islam in a way we can relate too and it covers topics that you have spoken about in your spoiler 😂😂

It's easy to lose your faith but regaining it is the hardest. Take one day at a time. Wake up for fajr and read Quran and start your day :biggrin:
@samina_ay @hoorie @ZuluK
I prayed for the first time in ages today, it was 4 furdh of isha salah. I am so happy and relaxed I know it was only one prayer and I still need to make up for everything and I don't want to jinx it but I just wanted to let you know even if you don't care lol :biggrin:

thanks to anyone who helped or contributed (including @Axel Johann and ), I want it to keep getting better.
Reply 19
@samina_ay @hoorie @ZuluK
I prayed for the first time in ages today, it was 4 furdh of isha salah. I am so happy and relaxed I know it was only one prayer and I still need to make up for everything and I don't want to jinx it but I just wanted to let you know even if you don't care lol :biggrin:

thanks to anyone who helped or contributed (including @Axel Johann and @Peroxidation ), I want it to keep getting better.

Mashallah that's great. Take it one step at a time and I'm so glad you're happy and relaxed after one prayer. Keep going and you'll soon feel at ease. You can keep me updated if you want... I do care. :biggrin: if there is anything else I can do, let me know

Also, understand the main thing is intent. The fact that you even have the intention of doing better and becoming a better Muslim is amazing in itself. Inshallah you will continue :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending