The Student Room Group

Why do people still consume cow's milk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
We can measure milk however we want. I measure everything in grams as I use kitchen scales.

I personally find it's too low in calories and not satiating enough to use as a carb source. I try to avoid liquid calories. However, you add some whole milk to some mass gainer and you can gain weight big time, I'll give you that.

When I have to go for long rows, I wouldn't drink milk in the middle of a row to re-fuel.

To re fuel you would want something isotonic and packed full of glucose.
Original post by DiddyDec
Microscopic amounts. You probably breath in more from using public transport or being in room with people.

The air has pus?
Original post by jenigma
What do you consume, O Wise One?
Soya milk myself, much more ethical than cows milk & pretty healthy as well, but yeah it's not a necessity or anything.
Original post by xobeauty
The air has pus?

People sneezing and coughing does.
To re fuel you would want something isotonic and packed full of glucose.

Well yeah, water, little bit of fruit juice, salt and a lil bit of sugar.

But milk at least for me has no place in my diet other than to soak my weetabix. (100g of milk - works a treat)
People sneezing and coughing does.

Ok so that's more of an excuse not to drink milk for me, at least I can avoid it in the milk.
Well yeah, water, little bit of fruit juice, salt and a lil bit of sugar.

But milk at least for me has no place in my diet other than to soak my weetabix. (100g of milk - works a treat)

Milk used to be key part of my diet when I was younger. I could get through 4 pints a day, I quite literally craved it. Now I hardly touch it because I am not longer in need of huge amounts calcium.
Original post by Multitalented me
Soya milk myself, much more ethical than cows milk & pretty healthy as well, but yeah it's not a necessity or anything.

Try rice milk. It's really nice :love:
I also like almond milk. I'm not a huge fan of soya milk though.

If I may add, we are humans. Humans will always do things that are unnecessary. We eat meat and we drink cow milk. As much as I agree with everything you've said on this thread, I will acknowledge that people on here love their bacon and their milk. And to be fair, I don't see that changing any time soon.
Milk used to be key part of my diet when I was younger. I could get through 4 pints a day, I quite literally craved it. Now I hardly touch it because I am not longer in need of huge amounts calcium.

what about your source of carbs?
Ok so that's more of an excuse not to drink milk for me, at least I can avoid it in the milk.

I think you are paranoid.
I think you are paranoid.

No I'm a normal human being that doesn't want cow pus floating and digesting in my body.
Yah, but nevertheless I don't see the need for it. I used to drink it a lot but only because I grew up drinking it thinking it was normal. I now just have soya milk as I like the taste of it much better anyway. So many products contain dairy right now when really. there is just no need for it, dairy is a very toxic industry for animals, humans & the environment in general.

I appreciate you saying that the dairy industry is "toxic", but you talk as if the agricultural industry (which produces the plants you eat) is completely free of "toxicity". Extensive use of chemical herbicides and pesticides, lead to bio-accumulation of toxins in the food chain, killing many insects - notably bees, necessary for pollination. Also use of chemical fertilisers leads to pollution of rivers, lakes and ground water, going onto to cause eutrophication and contaminated drinking water
I don't get your point? Fact is cows milk isn't meant for human consumption & there are many alternative ways to get milk instead, such as all the plant based milk out there.

So you keep saying....

Why is it your concern? people drink goats milk too. If you don't, fine just because you've made a idiotic thread on TSR people aren't going to cease drinking it.

You a cow-worshipper are you..... :rolleyes:
Original post by Legendary Quest

If I may add, we are humans. Humans will always do things that are unnecessary. We eat meat and we drink cow milk. As much as I agree with everything you've said on this thread, I will acknowledge that people on here love their bacon and their milk. And to be fair, I don't see that changing any time soon.
I just like the taste of Soya milk aha, the aftertaste is kind of like melted vanilla ice cream :biggrin: I tried Almond milk and didn't like it at all, I doubt I'd like Rice Milk etiher. I've been having Soya Milk for a good few months now & feel healthier than ever, combined with going to the gym. I suppose it's just how humans have been conditioned, a lot of people just follow the same routine as everyone around them and I was guilty of that in the past as well, but it's good to use critical thinking & independent thought to actually get a better understanding of why we do the things that we do.
No I'm a normal human being that doesn't want cow pus floating and digesting in my body.

Microscopic particles.

Paranoia.
Original post by Olympus789
I appreciate you saying that the dairy industry is "toxic", but you talk as if the agricultural industry (which produces the plants you eat) is completely free of "toxicity". Extensive use of chemical herbicides and pesticides, lead to bio-accumulation of toxins in the food chain, killing many insects - notably bees, necessary for pollination. Also use of chemical fertilisers leads to pollution of rivers, lakes and ground water, going onto to cause eutrophication and contaminated drinking water
I always try to buy organic & raising animals for meat/dairy is much more worse environmentally not to mention ethically. The problem now is humans have been exposed to all this immoral things & it's hard to break out of the habit when they are so used to it.
Yah, but nevertheless I don't see the need for it. I used to drink it a lot but only because I grew up drinking it thinking it was normal. I now just have soya milk as I like the taste of it much better anyway. So many products contain dairy right now when really. there is just no need for it, dairy is a very toxic industry for animals, humans & the environment in general.

soya taste like crap imo ... whatever.

also the whole "cows milk wasn't made for humans"
err where is it engrained in the earth that cows were made for consumption as meat either? It wasn't, we just decided to eat it and since it tastes good that's nature way of giving us the thumbs up.
Yeah the dairy industry is cruel.

Human trafficking and sex slaves is cruel. Terrorism is cruel. The tobacco industry is cruel. The fashion industry with respect to manufacturing and labour practice is cruel.

Life is cruel.

We need to learn how to treat eachother before we really worry about how to look after the earth and it's lovely animals.

Priorities.
This is a thread focusing on why we still consume cows milk, I get the other things are cruel as well but please keep on topic.
This is a thread focusing on why we still consume cows milk, I get the other things are cruel as well but please keep on topic.

Okay since you've totally missed the point,

people drink milk because they can. It's as simple as that.
Original post by Legendary Quest

There are some worries rice milk contains too much arsenic. I prefer almond milk anyway, I eat sooo much rice and fish it's actually insane. :p:

To OP, for a lot of people it comes down to convenience and just not seeing it as a problem. I just drink almond milk because it's better nutrition wise on a micro scale but the ethical reasons are just another good reason too. I do it because it gives me an added benefit and don't really care whether or not other people see that advantages. But you won't change anyone's mind online even if you post enough studies so I would give up. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest