The Student Room Group

No experience at all, at the end of my second year at uni

Scroll to see replies

not sure why you would assume i have no interest in the job when i already said i enjoyed my internship and have a fin-tech masters. i am living proof that the more you earn the bigger your interest.

anyway if i'm competing with some finance-obsessed nerd for a £120K IB job or w/e it's gonna be my desire to earn money vs his crazy finance obsession. one thing i'll say is that i am an absolute animal in the interview room. when the door gets closed and the hand gets shaken it's el chapo o'clock. nothing is getting in the way of this amsterdam coffee shop dream, i will leave candidates in a bodybag if i have to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by El Chapo Jr.
i think you're a little deluded because they're all miserable (especially the guy with 50 circles, look at him).

btw i worked 4 months at UBS purely for the money and i was not miserable in any way (i actually enjoyed it) so this 'you have to love finance or you won't survive' mentality is retarded. 50 eyes guy became a trader because he was obsessed with making money (his own words).

call me anton kreill junior from now on, dudes a boss.

Lol most bankers/traders look nothing like him. He clearly burned out- most traders in banks don't actually look that old for their ages- I know some of them. By the way, your tech role is not even revenue generating- for the bank, you're just a cost of doing business, not the business. I don't see why you're bragging when you'll be looked down upon by front office guys when you start your job.
Original post by Trapz99
Lol most bankers/traders look nothing like him. He clearly burned out- most traders in banks don't actually look that old for their ages- I know some of them. By the way, your tech role is not even revenue generating- for the bank, you're just a cost of doing business, not the business. I don't see why you're bragging when you'll be looked down upon by front office guys when you start your job.

Aight bro simmer with the elitism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Aight bro simmer with the elitism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I know it's not really true that tech guys are looked down upon but I was beginning to think that 'el chapo' thinks he's God so was trying to put him back in his place 😂
'Oh look at me I'll run the weed game in London and Amsterdam'- even if you're joking, that's pretty weak bant
not sure why you would assume i have no interest in the job when i already said i enjoyed my 4 month internship at UBS and have a masters that is comp sci + finance. i am living proof that the more you earn the bigger your interest.

anyway if i'm competing with some finance-obsessed nerd for a £120K IB job or w/e it's gonna be my desire to earn money vs his crazy finance obsession. one thing i'll say is that i am an absolute animal in the interview room. when the door gets closed and the hand gets shaken it's el chapo o'clock. nothing is getting in the way of this amsterdam coffee shop dream, i will leave candidates in a bodybag if i have to.

But that's not really proving your point is it, since you enjoyed it. When it comes to the technical questions in the interview, a desire to earn money isn't going to help you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
'Oh look at me I'll run the weed game in London and Amsterdam'- even if you're joking, that's pretty weak bant

Bants or not honestly I think it's hilarious.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Bants or not honestly I think it's hilarious.

Ok yeah I'll admit it's funny. I even followed him so I can receive more of his amazing humour
Original post by Trapz99
damn bro you jealous that tech is the fastest growing division in IB? keep telling yourself that, but the banks with the better tech simply perform the best (e.g. JPM & sachs are the heaviest investors in tech last time i checked).

props to the FO bums for earning a couple more G's and developing more battle rings around their eyes, but tech is my thing and when i become an algo traders and my upcoming iOS app sells for billions (we already have a £25K investment) i will turn their trade floors into toilets.

focus on your upcoming a-level exams and making it to a university first before you try to brag about other people's success rofl.

But that's not really proving your point is it, since you enjoyed it. .
i enjoyed it after being in it purely for the money. as is always the case, the money translated into interest.
When it comes to the technical questions in the interview, a desire to earn money isn't going to help you
yes it will (and it has), especially when you have superb technical skills and strong knowledge on financial markets on top of that. i put in a lot more preparation for technical interviews that would result in a 40K job compared to the ones that paid 28K. this is actually where i shine the most.for some reason you assume that because i like money (like everyone else who is living in the real world) i can't perform. you don't think any of the guys i got these offers over enjoy finance more than i do?

i also have an offer for IG btw which i haven't declined yet. 3 written tests, a technical interview and 2-hour pair programming session for that one. sup?

edit: trapz is following me because he wants to learn from the master. carry on obsessing kid. anyway im off, gonna be dreaming about using £50 notes as napkins @ BNP's canteen.
(edited 7 years ago)
i enjoyed it after being in it purely for the money. like i said, money translates to interest. technical interviews are where i shine the most, fyi. i think you're underestimating me massively, why do you assume just because i like money (like everyone else at IB) i can't perform? i'm a pretty motivated guy.

i also have an offer for IG index which i haven't declined yet. 3 written tests, a technical interview and 2-hour pair programming session for that one. sup?

But you weren't interested in it beforehand, that was my point. I never said can't perform, I just said a desire for money alone doesn't give you any knowledge about the job to answer the technical questions, an interest in the job does that.

yes it will (and it has), especially when you have superb technical skills and strong knowledge on financial markets on top of that. i put in a lot more preparation for technical interviews that would result in a 40K job compared to the ones that paid 28K. this is actually where i shine the most.for some reason you assume that because i like money (like everyone else who is living in the real world) i can't perform. you don't think any of the guys i got these offers over enjoy finance more than i do?

i also have an offer for IG btw which i haven't declined yet. 3 written tests, a technical interview and 2-hour pair programming session for that one. sup
Exactly, that just goes to show you need an interest in the job lol. How does a desire for money enable you to pass 3 written tests, a technical interview and more importantly a 2-hour pair programming session, it doesn't. A desire to earn money didn't give you technical skills or a strong knowledge on financial markets.
(edited 7 years ago)
But you weren't interested in it beforehand, that was my point.
you're a bit confused i think. wasn't your point that you will be hating your life if you're working in finance just for the money? my argument was that you're talking sh*t because you will naturally develop an interest in whatever industry you're working in anyway, and i am living proof of that. if salaries in finance suddenly got slashed by 1/3, then its off to the next best thing.

Exactly, that just goes to show you need an interest in the job lol. How does a desire for money enable you to pass 3 written tests, a technical interview and more importantly a 2-hour pair programming session, it doesn't.
it shows that you need an interest for the job itself, not the industry.

IG operates in the finance industry, but they're strictly tech (just like the tech division in any bank).
(edited 7 years ago)
you're a bit confused i think. wasn't your point that you will be hating your life if you're working in finance just for the money? my argument was that you're talking sh*t because you will naturally develop an interest in finance anyway if you're working in the industry.

seems that you've acknowledged that you're wrong and i'm right, so we can brush this one aside.
Nah bro, it was that you need the interest prior to getting the job because you're not going to get the job unless you have the interest, unless you're someone such as yourself that can ******** so hard in the interview that the lack of interest isn't apparent to them.

it shows that you need an interest for the job itself, not the industry.IG operates in the finance industry, but they're strictly tech (just like the tech division in any bank).anyway i'm off, peace.
That really isn't any different though is it. I mean you already said you have knowledge about financial markets, which is the financial industry, not tech. My point is that for an FO role at an IB you need at least some interest in the industry/job beforehand, maybe that hasn't been the case for you in tech, who knows.
Reply 72
What should you do over summer if you didn't land an internship? I wanna strengthen my profile for grad role apps over summer but am back to the drawing board since my plan to get an internship (S&T) failed :/
mate i think you've lost it. i can easily debunk you with quotes right now but it's too late and i'm off to bed.

got no idea why you would start an argument with me over FO @ IB when you know i'm in tech rofl. yes you need to show interest in both finance and tech for a developer role - i'm saying that you can fake an interest in finance like i initially did (now i just exaggerate it). i'm pretty sure you can also fake it for an FO role (especially if you have a relevant degree). faking tech is pretty much impossible because you can't just read a bunch of articles, lie on your CV and rely on knowledge from your degree. they sit you down and actually make you write code in front of them.

no point in me carrying on sh*tting on you. this was a miscommunication due to your retardedness and a total waste of time. stay bad, stay broke, stay breezy brah.

peace (this time for real)
(edited 7 years ago)
mate i think you've lost it. i can easily debunk you with quotes right now but it's too late and i'm off to bed.

got no idea why you would start an argument with me over FO @ IB when you know i'm in tech rofl. yes you need to show interest in both finance and tech for a developer role - i'm saying that you can fake an interest in finance like i initially did (now i just exaggerate it). i'm pretty sure you can also fake it for an FO role (especially if you have a relevant degree). faking tech is pretty much impossible because you can't just read a bunch of articles, lie on your CV and rely on knowledge from your degree. they sit you down and actually make you write code in front of them.

no point in me carrying on sh*tting on you. this was a miscommunication due to your retardedness and a total waste of time. stay bad, stay broke, stay breezy brah.

peace (this time for real)

Lol sure thing m8. No need to cry if you think I wasted you time since you knew the entire thread was about FO roles. If your questionable advice only applied to tech, shouldn't have spewed it in the first place.
(edited 7 years ago)

his blazer and shirt say 'i genuinely like finance'; his eyes say 'f*ck this sh*t when's the next payslip coming through'.

anton kreill senior is all about collecting.

recognise.
(edited 7 years ago)

his suit says 'i genuinely like finance'; his eyes say 'f*ck this sh*t when's the next pay cheque coming through'.

anton kreill senior - recognise.

And "f*ck this sh*t" he did indeed.
Original post by Trapz99
I could honestly answer all those "tell me about a situation where" questions by just mentioning experiences during my extra curricular activities. You shouldn't have to lie to answer those questions- everyone should be able to think of a situation where they have taken initiate/worked in a team/ solved a problem/ etc...

Sometimes they can word it in a way where you basically need to answer the questions multiple times though. Meaning you need to think of more scenarios.

For example, at my new look interview I got asked:

When did you display good customer service?

Tell us about a time you've solved a customer problems?

Tell us about a time where you've dealt with a problematic customer efficiently?

Like wtf? I swear it felt like i had been asked the same thing 3 times. I had spoken from experience with ease and great detail for the first one. By the time it got to the third one i was genuienly baft on what to say. There are times when panic lying/exaggeration is necessary
(edited 7 years ago)
not sure why you would assume i have no interest in the job when i already said i enjoyed my internship and have a fin-tech masters. i am living proof that the more you earn the bigger your interest.

If you wanna make mega bucks go do uber executive 24/7 you'll make more than a graduate analyst and work more shitty hours. For me anyway the money is a second thought (though still important) for wanting to get into finance, if I wanted money i'd as I suggested to you do Uber or black cabbing or sales.
damn bro you jealous that tech is the fastest growing division in IB? keep telling yourself that, but the banks with the better tech simply perform the best (e.g. JPM & sachs are the heaviest investors in tech last time i checked).

props to the FO bums for earning a couple more G's and developing more battle rings around their eyes, but tech is my thing and when i become an algo traders and my upcoming iOS app sells for billions (we already have a £25K investment) i will turn their trade floors into toilets.

focus on your upcoming a-level exams and making it to a university first before you try to brag about other people's success rofl.

i enjoyed it after being in it purely for the money. as is always the case, the money translated into interest. yes it will (and it has), especially when you have superb technical skills and strong knowledge on financial markets on top of that. i put in a lot more preparation for technical interviews that would result in a 40K job compared to the ones that paid 28K. this is actually where i shine the most.for some reason you assume that because i like money (like everyone else who is living in the real world) i can't perform. you don't think any of the guys i got these offers over enjoy finance more than i do?

i also have an offer for IG btw which i haven't declined yet. 3 written tests, a technical interview and 2-hour pair programming session for that one. sup?

edit: trapz is following me because he wants to learn from the master. carry on obsessing kid. anyway im off, gonna be dreaming about using £50 notes as napkins @ BNP's canteen.

Ok well done to you and good luck on your coffee shop idea. yeah I followed you because you have seriously good entertainment.

Quick Reply