The Student Room Group

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016

Hi guys,

This is the 2016 official thread for Edexcel HIS03/D exam, specifically the course titled "from Kaiser to Fuhrer 1900-45". We can use it to share resources and ask questions relating to the exam, the content, essay technique, recision etc.

I couldn't find a threat so thought I would make one as it was really helpful last year for AS and threads have been helpful in my other subjects this year too!

A bit of information on the exam:

Title: From Kaiser to Fuhrer 1900-1945
Code: HIS03/D
Date and time: Friday 10th June 2016 @ 9.00AM
Duration: 2 hours
Layout: We will answer two questions in total - one from Section A and one from Section B. It's so important to understand the exam and what's required of us, so here's a little bit to get you going...

Section A: This is worth 30 marks so I reccomended you spend around 50 minutes answering this question. We will have a choice of two questions in this section. The layout of this Section is very much like the 30 mark questions we got in our unit 1 exam. We will be asked a question and we answer purely on our knowledge, marks come purely from arguing a case with our own knowledge. Of course, this year the content is a bit more complex, so a real understanding is needed! Also, to gain the higher marks, it is important to make links between your paragraphs and don't write them in isolation. An example; if the question was on the greatest threat to Weimar, I may write one paragraph on the Treaty of Versailles, one of the economic disaster, and one on political extremists. It's important to make links between these; the reparations imposed by the Treaty of Versaolles exacerbating the economic threat, and the 'Stab in the Back' myth that came about from the ToV arguably heightened, or have strength to, the threat from the extreme right.
Section A topics include;
Kaiser's Germany 1900-1914; look at who had power, was Germany democratic, how did it survive, what were the effects of WW1 etc.

The democratic experiment 1919-1929; identify the main threats to the Weimar Republic, how did it survive, how stable were the golden years etc.

Hitler's Rise to Power 1929-1933; explore what it was that made Hitler chancellor - was it due to his skill and the Nazi party? Or did he get lucky as a result of miscalculations of Weimar politicians and external events?

Germany in wartime 1939-1945: consider how the war effected German morale, what opposition did the Nazis face? How strong was the Nazi economy? Strengths? Weaknesses? Why? What prompted The Final Solution (the holocaust)?

Section B: This question is worth 40 marks, therefore I advise you spend an hour on it. This is the source-based 'controversy question' - you will have looked at an ongoing historical debate and you get to have your say on things! Like in Section A, there will be a choice of two questions - some of you may have been prepared for just one of them, others may have been prepared for both. You will be given 3 secondary sources that wil come from prominent historians on the controversy you are assessing - it's a good idea to know which historians are the prominent ones as it will be useful to know their wider stance on the debate (remember, the source you get will come from a massive book of theirs! Many people are fooled and think what is written on those few lines in the source are the only things that the historian believes). In this question, it's of paramount of importance that you interrogate the interpretations of the historians, and this is where you use your own knowledge. You're like detectives - you are looking for the evidence to support their claims and if the evidence, in your opinion, doesn't agree with what they are saying then explain why you disagree with their interpretation. Remember, they will always give you at least two sources with different views so you are inevitably going to disagree with someone - it's so important you explain why! Why? Because, unlike last year, the weighting of be marks is slightly different. This year we will get 24 marks for source evaluation and 16 marks for use of our own knowledge (unlike last year where it was 24 marks for own knowledge and 16 marks for source evaluation). And those 16 marks don't come from just throwing in a fact here and there; as always, use your own knowledge to support or oppose an interpretation! (It's quite an exciting concept when you get into it - finally we get to really argue our views agains professional historians!)
Section B controversy questions include;
"To what extent was Germany responsible for the outbreak of the First World War?" - many say this is the simpler of the two controversies as the question is very much similar each year. Is Germany to blame? Here, you should be looking at their diplomacy, political desicions, international relationships etc.

"How popular and efficient were the Nazi Party 1933-1939?" - this question can be approached and asked from different angles. You will notice the question has two parts to it - popularity and efficiency. You will be asked about how popular Nazis were and for this you should focus on the different social groups ie the young, women etc. if it turns out they weren't so popular, what allowed them to stay in power? This brings us onto the second part - efficiency. What caused their 'maintenance of power? Terror? Popularity? Propaganda? Explore the different reasons. Also, how effective was Hitler has a leader in general? Did he take an active role or not? Ian Kershaw's "working toward the fuhrer" theory is good to read up on in relation to this - I will try and find a link to a good article and post it later.

I hope you understand the exam fully now as that is always the first step to success!

If anyone has any questions pop them below! We can all help each other get the grade we all need and deserve! :smile:

Let's start off by posting what we studied for AS;
Unit 1: Stalin's Russia and the Civil Rights Movement
Unit 2: Henry VIIIs Tudor England

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone have any A* exemplar essays?
Reply 2
Original post by Zooloo
Anyone have any A* exemplar essays?

I wrote an essay for the question " 'Hitler came to power because of his remarkable talents as a politician'. To what extent do you agree with this". It scored 28/30 - I'm not are if that's an A or A* - I can post it if you want?
Reply 3
Original post by eddso
I wrote an essay for the question " 'Hitler came to power because of his remarkable talents as a politician'. To what extent do you agree with this". It scored 28/30 - I'm not are if that's an A or A* - I can post it if you want?

Yes please! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Zooloo
Yes please! :smile:

Here you go :smile: If you have any questions about how to structure/write this essay then feel free to ask :smile:
The transformation in the fortunes of the Nazi party was largely due to Hitler’s skill as a politician. How far do you agree with this statement?

Spoiler

61BgV�8ݬ>G
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by eddso
Here you go :smile: If you have any questions about how to structure/write this essay then feel free to ask :smile:
The transformation in the fortunes of the Nazi party was largely due to Hitler’s skill as a politician. How far do you agree with this statement?

Spoiler

61BgV�8ݬ>G

THANK YOU!
not a fan of the space bar though ? :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Zooloo
THANK YOU!

That's alright! and haha - I pasted it from Word and posted it then saw that it didn't keep my paragraphs or half my spaces for some reason! I've gone back through it to paragraph it but spacing all the words out again is just long haha sorry!
Reply 7
Original post by Zooloo
THANK YOU!

Also, my teachers comments were that it didn't quite reach full marks because of my coverage of the Enabling Law, Reichstab Fire etc. The content for questions relating to Hitler's Rise to Power usually ends at Hitler being appointed Chancellor (stupid as it all links together really but that's how the specification is set out)
Reply 8
Original post by eddso
That's alright! and haha - I pasted it from Word and posted it then saw that it didn't keep my paragraphs or half my spaces for some reason! I've gone back through it to paragraph it but spacing all the words out again is just long haha sorry!

haha no worries

I can post some of my essays next week (they're all hand written in my school locker atm). :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Zooloo
haha no worries

I can post some of my essays next week (they're all hand written in my school locker atm). :smile:

That would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks that's all very helpful...

Could you also outline the essay structure you would use for a section B answer please? For example, what would you include in the introduction; do you refer to all the sources? Then how would you go about the next few paragraphs... would you make a point and refer to all the sources, or cover just the one source?

A few examples of section B essays would also be really useful. thanks a lot. 😊
Reply 11
Original post by DanniKS
Thanks that's all very helpful...

Could you also outline the essay structure you would use for a section B answer please? For example, what would you include in the introduction; do you refer to all the sources? Then how would you go about the next few paragraphs... would you make a point and refer to all the sources, or cover just the one source?

A few examples of section B essays would also be really useful. thanks a lot. 😊

I like to let the sources guide how I structure my argument in the exam, as it is very much about how we use the sources and interrogate them, but there are some key things to stick to;

Introduction: mention all 3 sources and say who says what and who agrees with who and briefly say which ones you agree with - aka tell the examiner your line of argument (very much like every other essay for this whole A level)

Main body:

It depends on the content that is presented in the sources but I tend to do one or two paragraphs supporting the argument in the question and using the sources that do (if I disagree with the question it's often a good idea to recognise the argument that could be presented in these two paragraphs, and then suggest why actually you disagree)

Then j do one or two paragraphs disagreeing with the question, using sources that disagree, comparing them to the ones that agree and weighing up which argument is stronger etc etc

Then a conclusion really just needs to reiterate what your line of argument and give one or two strong reasons why - could be a good idea to mention a quote from one of the sources and reiterate one small piece of own knowledge previously mentioned.

I haven't done many of these essays yet - I did my first one for the hitler controversy the other week and I got 33/40 which I think is good for a first go but I would like to get more! When I do some more I will post them up for you :smile:

Hope that helps
Reply 12
Thanks!! V helpful....
Original post by eddso

Spoiler

61BgV�8ݬ>G

Brilliant essay on the Nazis. I was wondering do you have any other essays that have reached the standard of this essay perhaps? Additionally you mention you didnt gain full marks due to talking about the fire and the enabling act. What other factors or points would you need to mention in order to gain those extra few marks. Finally in your essay you mention about "Evans" in the context of a communist revolution being unlikely, what was the historians full name?
Reply 14
Original post by edward090
Brilliant essay on the Nazis. I was wondering do you have any other essays that have reached the standard of this essay perhaps? Additionally you mention you didnt gain full marks due to talking about the fire and the enabling act. What other factors or points would you need to mention in order to gain those extra few marks. Finally in your essay you mention about "Evans" in the context of a communist revolution being unlikely, what was the historians full name?

Thanks! I'll upload some more essays soon - j have one on the threat to Weimar from political extremists :smile:

Re content - I'm not sure it's so much that I need to include anything else, it's more that the Reichstag fire and Enablish Act wasn't what they were asking therefore I lost marks for not focusing on the question.

The historians name is Richard Evans - brilliant historian and his books are a great compliment to this course. I haven't read his book from cover to cover but I use it as a a sort of textbook, dipping in and out of it when I need to. If you want to do wider reading to access the higher levels, I recommend Evans!
Original post by eddso
Thanks! I'll upload some more essays soon - j have one on the threat to Weimar from political extremists :smile:

Re content - I'm not sure it's so much that I need to include anything else, it's more that the Reichstag fire and Enablish Act wasn't what they were asking therefore I lost marks for not focusing on the question.

The historians name is Richard Evans - brilliant historian and his books are a great compliment to this course. I haven't read his book from cover to cover but I use it as a a sort of textbook, dipping in and out of it when I need to. If you want to do wider reading to access the higher levels, I recommend Evans!

Would you perhaps send me that essay either by private message or this thread?

I have been doing a lot of questions about the second reich and a common theme is whether or not it was democratic or autocratic. In regards to that what factors and pieces of evidence would you choose to do? Also what historians would you use for this type of question.

I will definitely check him out he sounds brilliant!
Reply 16
A question on whether political extremists 1919-24 posed a serious threat to the Weimar Republic- how would you structure it?
Anyone have any predictions for what will be on and what might not be on?
Reply 18
Original post by Lewiss1997
Anyone have any predictions for what will be on and what might not be on?

Well last year was on Hitler's Rise to Power (Weimar politicians as stated factor) and Second Reich economy so I'm hoping it won't be on either of those two. The Golden Years would possibly come up as they've never specifically asked about that period before, and in WW2 they've asked about all 3 topics but they haven't asked about the Final Solution since 2010 (first paper) or opposition since 2011 - the economy came up in 2013. For the ww1 controversy they may be sneaky and ask about whether Germany waged an aggressive war for domestic purposes?
Reply 19
Hi,

My teacher hasn't taught the second controversy very well, so I don't understand it compared to controversy 1.

Could I get away with just revising controversy one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending