The Student Room Group

[Chemistry] Memorising the VSEPR table

Is anyone else having trouble memorising VSEPR? I'm mostly okay with topic 4 but VSEPR is like a massive info dump you have to memorise and I did badly in that unit test. Does anyone know a good way of remembering it?
Reply 1
UGH. Tell me about it..... The different angles of the different shaped molecule....
Tbh though, with the molecules such as PCl5, practice is key for determining shapes since the more practice you do, you start to find out that some elements kind of bond more tetrahedral(ly) or more bipyramidal(ly) haha

Otherwise, if anyone does any tips, do help :u:
Reply 2
I hate things like this cos I have such a terrible memory.
But what I did was I drew out the table and colour coded things so the ones I knew already that were quite simple (basically the first 3) I just wrote in black. Then some of the weird angles (109.5, 104.5, 107) I drew in a bright colour. Then the weird names that I struggled to remember in a different colour etc. Then I stuck the poster up on my wall near my bed so I see it every morning. It's super tricky and I think we'll all have to cram it before the exams but for now, it's working for me. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiahj11
I hate things like this cos I have such a terrible memory.
But what I did was I drew out the table and colour coded things so the ones I knew already that were quite simple (basically the first 3) I just wrote in black. Then some of the weird angles (109.5, 104.5, 107) I drew in a bright colour. Then the weird names that I struggled to remember in a different colour etc. Then I stuck the poster up on my wall near my bed so I see it every morning. It's super tricky and I think we'll all have to cram it before the exams but for now, it's working for me. Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This has been brought up as a good study technique by other teachers actually, but I never thought to do it for VSEPR - I think I'll try that out!

If I listened to all my teachers when they said they, my walls would basically be revision wallpaper.
Reply 4
Original post by william91919
This has been brought up as a good study technique by other teachers actually, but I never thought to do it for VSEPR - I think I'll try that out!

If I listened to all my teachers when they said they, my walls would basically be revision wallpaper.

I understand, having that much on your walls would be totally counter productive! But this way works for me at least for this topic. There are so many ways to revise things it's tricky to find the right way that works for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending