The Student Room Group

I go to high school in Japan. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA

That's awesome! You're lucky! I would love to study in a different country if I wasn't so broke af!

How do you find night school and do you feel you've integrated well despite being the only foreigner?

:borat:
Do you like any of the Japanese schoolgirls? What kind of food do they eat day to day. Do any of them do Judo? I they really polite and friendly? What is the most strange thing you have noticed?
Original post by homeland.lsw
oh wow...I thought with Japan being so technologically adavanced, the schools would certainly benefit from this...That being said, a few of the classrooms in my school have blackboards too

Yeah I know it's strange. The country itself is very advanced, but schools aren't. I guess it's sort of a tradition here for schools to be the way they are and not change
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Cool :yep:

Did you know how to speak Japanese before you go ?

Yes, I studied it for about 4 years. But to be honest, there's a real difference between studying a language in the UK and actually moving to a country where it's spoken. My Japanese was 'good' by British standards (I got an A* at A level), but it was definitely inadequate when I got here, and it took about 4 months before I was actually comfortable with my Japanese.
Yes, I studied it for about 4 years. But to be honest, there's a real difference between studying a language in the UK and actually moving to a country where it's spoken. My Japanese was 'good' by British standards (I got an A* at A level), but it was definitely inadequate when I got here, and it took about 4 months before I was actually comfortable with my Japanese.

I see ! Really interesting :yep: so now you're fluent in japanese I suppose ?
@TheTechN1304 What do you think is the thing you'll miss most about Japan when you leave?
Original post by Parasite
That's awesome! You're lucky! I would love to study in a different country if I wasn't so broke af!

How do you find night school and do you feel you've integrated well despite being the only foreigner?

:borat:

I don't have night school, but sometimes I stay at school studying until about 8pm. In terms of integration, I think I've done relatively well lol. The fact that I only speak Japanese definitely helps, and I try my best to do all their work, tests etc., so I can fit in as much as possible. Obviously I can't fully integrate, and simple things such as my name being written in the script for foreign words rather than Chinese characters makes me stick out, but I don't really mind!
Original post by homeland.lsw
@TheTechN1304 What do you think is the thing you'll miss most about Japan when you leave?

It's difficult to say what I'll miss the most, but probably the attitudes of Japanese people and the safety of the country (also convenience stores, food and speaking Japanese) :lol:
Are Japanese students taught about WW2? I've been hearing stuff about how the history textbooks make Japan to be the victim. Is this true?
Original post by Konahagakure
Are Japanese students taught about WW2? I've been hearing stuff about how the history textbooks make Japan to be the victim. Is this true?

No one cares LOL. All that the student wants is to get into to a good uni
Original post by Konahagakure

Yes, but we cover so much of Japan's history (all the way from ancient Japan), that we don't really go into any of it in much detail. The history books definitely don't make Japan look like the victim, and people know that they were on the bad side lol
do you own one of those special really sharp swords ? you know the ones i mean :h:
I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA

Wow, that's awesome! For how long your school day lasts?
Original post by the bear
do you own one of those special really sharp swords ? you know the ones i mean :h:

No I don't haha
Original post by Azhar Rana
Wow, that's awesome! For how long your school day lasts?

First class starts at 8:40 and school finishes at 3:15. We have 50 minute lessons with 10 minutes between each lesson :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
No I don't haha

what about those sharp pointy star things ? you know the ones i mean :h:
what about those sharp pointy star things ? you know the ones i mean :h:

Shuriken? If only... :lol:
Shuriken? If only... :lol:

so i guess you only have that thing where two sticks are joined together with a chain ? you know the one i mean :h:
you know the ones i mean :h:

you know the ones i mean :h:

you know the one i mean :h:

Hahahahah ! :' )
Reply 99
Same subjects as a normal high school student: Japanese history, world history, geography, modern Japanese, classical Japanese, maths, biology

Even though you study more subjects, is the workload equivalent to do 3 A levels?
Are the subjects as difficult as the A levels in the same subjects or a bit easier as you are doing more?

Quick Reply

Latest