The Student Room Group

Why do people still consume cow's milk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mscaffrey
You obviously have never seen the gorillas at Blackpool Zoo.

say it ain't so mscaffrey, say it ain't so

:cry2:

:creep:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Raw milk isn't better. It's an increased TB, brucellosis (If it comes back) and a broad range of other pathogen risk. It does taste better, but it's not better for you.

But TB isn't zoonotic as of yet.

Where do you stand on putting colostrum is your tea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Raw milk isn't better. It's an increased TB, brucellosis (If it comes back) and a broad range of other pathogen risk. It does taste better, but it's not better for you.

When milk is pasteurized, some essential vitamin and enzymes are denatured
Original post by Multitalented me
That didn't answer the question...

I like to think that my comment stood on its own in terms of criticising the logic you're using to justify the asking of the question.

We're the only mammals who do a lot of things. We're the only mammals with cancer treatment. We're the only mammals who build solid homes complete with heating and running water. We're the only mammals who cook our food.

The reason we're the only mammals who drink the milk of another mammal is because we're the only mammals who have evolved enough to be able to milk another mammal. We're the only mammals who have learnt how to farm (both plants and animals). Milk has been an important part of our diet in the past, and continues to be a good and handy natural source of fat and nutrients such as calcium. It has helped us build strong, healthy bones and has contributed to our brain development.

Of course we have alternatives to cow's milk now (I, myself, don't drink milk) but those alternatives are not as affordable or as widely available as cow's milk. They are also not suitable for everyone and the nutrients in them have to be added and are not absorbed as well. Cow/animal milk is still the best choice for babies who don't have access to breast milk (or as the follow on milk to breast milk). There are alternatives for babies with intolerances, but there's a reason that animal milks are recommended first and I believe they are legitimate medical/nutritional reasons rather than 'we've always done this, let's continue'.
Original post by DiddyDec
But TB isn't zoonotic as of yet.

Where do you stand on putting colostrum is your tea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TB is zoonotic. Hence the routine culling of cattle. You can get it from unpasteurised milk.

Colostrum isn't allowed into bulk milk due to skewing antimicrobial testing and being less palatable, no cow milk is allowed into the food chain until 3 days post calving.

Dat revision knowledge.

As for drinking milk - I'm very much pro drinking it *sips glass of milk*

Original post by Mentally
When milk is pasteurized, some essential vitamin and enzymes are denatured

If your drinking milk for lactoferrin you got problems yo :tongue:. It's still a great source of fat, protein and calcium.
Original post by Oilfreak1
you can also get bitch tits from plant based milk, much suppler. I don't drink milk but plant based milk is stupid for males.

What a wonderful way with words you have.

Are you referring to the oestrogen mimicking properties of soya? Because the amount of soya in soya milk isn't great - most plant based milks are bulked up with water. Drinking pure liquidised soya beans would be a bit ew. Those levels are unlikely to make you grow 'bitch tits' when you consider the amount of milk you might consume in one day. But if you're concerned, you could always opt for almond, rice, oat, or coconut milk.

Yours sincerely,

An AA cup female who has drunk plant milks (rice and oat) exclusively for around 10 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
Milk that is designed for a baby calf? It completely baffles me tbh, we're the only mammal that drinks the milk of another species, seems totally wrong to me. We have no need to drink milk after infancy but if you must there are plenty of plant based alternatives.

Because it is relatively cheap, I think it tastes good, and who cares if it was meant for the calf, the calf still gets enough of the milk and the surplus goes to us.

and anyway we are the superior animal on this earth and this is just another way of using our resources to provide us pleasure health and money.
Original post by the bear
say it ain't so mscaffrey, say it ain't so

:cry2:

:creep:

Those are some very fancy gorillas. I hear they shop in the lingerie department at M&S.

:fan:
What a wonderful way with words you have.

Are you referring to the oestrogen mimicking properties of soya? Because the amount of soya in soya milk isn't great - most plant based milks are bulked up with water. Drinking pure liquidised soya beans would be a bit ew. Those levels are unlikely to make you grow 'bitch tits' when you consider the amount of milk you might consume in one day. But if you're concerned, you could always opt for almond, rice, oat, or coconut milk.

Yours sincerely,

An AA cup female who has drunk plant milks (rice and oat) exclusively for around 10 years.

To be fair to soy milk I was relating it to my experience with soy protein.

Or I could just drink normal milk (put off it at the moment), or not drink any milk at all - not jumping through hoops and drinking other variants of fake milk just because soy milk increases the risk of bitch tit-itis and breast cancer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Those are some very fancy gorillas. I hear they shop in the lingerie department at M&S.

:fan:

To be fair to soy milk I was relating it to my experience with soy protein.

Or I could just drink normal milk (put off it at the moment), or not drink any milk at all - not jumping through hoops and drinking fake milk just because soy milk increases the risk of bitch tit-itis and breast cancer.

I see it less as fake milk and more as a convenient liquid that works on my muesli. It beats eating it with water. My diet is restricted quite a bit so I'm grateful for any food/drink I can consume safely. It's also a handy way of making sure I keep getting some calcium without taking supplements or eating 4 times the quantity of broccoli I already eat every day. I can see why people wouldn't be interested in plant milks if they have no need of them, though.
I see it less as fake milk and more as a convenient liquid that works on my muesli. It beats eating it with water. My diet is restricted quite a bit so I'm grateful for any food/drink I can consume safely. It's also a handy way of making sure I keep getting some calcium without taking supplements or eating 4 times the quantity of broccoli I already eat every day. I can see why people wouldn't be interested in plant milks if they have no need of them, though.

This actually a fair point, I normally drink a shake before work and would have it with water before i got put off cows milk because water goes down faster.

Do any plant based milks have the "thinness" of water (except soy I am categorically avoiding that)?
Reply 112
Original post by hezzlington
Yeah the dairy industry is cruel.

Human trafficking and sex slaves is cruel. Terrorism is cruel. The tobacco industry is cruel. The fashion industry with respect to manufacturing and labour practice is cruel.

Life is cruel.

We need to learn how to treat eachother before we really worry about how to look after the earth and it's lovely animals.

Priorities.

We can care about more than one thing though, we don't have to choose between not being a terrorist and caring about animals
TB is zoonotic. Hence the routine culling of cattle. You can get it from unpasteurised milk.

Colostrum isn't allowed into bulk milk due to skewing antimicrobial testing and being less palatable, no cow milk is allowed into the food chain until 3 days post calving.

Dat revision knowledge.

As for drinking milk - I'm very much pro drinking it *sips glass of milk*

That is news to me.

The question wasn't about whether colostrum was widely available. It was what you think about drinking it in your tea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
That is news to me.

The question wasn't about whether colostrum was widely available. It was what you think about drinking it in your tea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colostrum can't go in your tea legally....
This actually a fair point, I normally drink a shake before work and would have it with water before i got put off cows milk because water goes down faster.

Do any plant based milks have the "thinness" of water (except soy I am categorically avoiding that)?

Rice milk is the thinnest, and out of all the rice milks I've tried I find Rice Dream the thinnest of all. Rude Health rice milk is also thin. Some coconut based milks are thin, but others are very thick. The thinnest of those is Kallo coconut milk.

The only thing I would say is that rice milk tastes a little sweet for people used to cow's milk (so I've been told by other people - I had been off cow's milk for a while before trying rice so I didn't notice it). There's no added sugar in any of the milks I drink though, so any sweetness is natural.
Colostrum can't go in your tea legally....

That isn't answering the question and is factually incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a display of dominance over nature.
Rice milk is the thinnest, and out of all the rice milks I've tried I find Rice Dream the thinnest of all. Rude Health rice milk is also thin. Some coconut based milks are thin, but others are very thick. The thinnest of those is Kallo coconut milk.

The only thing I would say is that rice milk tastes a little sweet for people used to cow's milk (so I've been told by other people - I had been off cow's milk for a while before trying rice so I didn't notice it). There's no added sugar in any of the milks I drink though, so any sweetness is natural.

Hmm yeah might try it out, as i'm using it as a substitute for water and not milk sweetness is actually what i'm looking for (as long as it's bland/thin enough that I can just gulp it down before leaving home).

Quick Reply

Latest