The Student Room Group

Physics question!

Please may someone help me with this physics question? The correct answer is D but I have no idea haha

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
image.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by Do it Right
image.jpg

The work done is force times distance. This does not change, since the force needed is the same, and the distance is the same.
The power is the work done per unit time, so this increases. There is less time to do the work on the bale since it is done more quickly. This means the work done per bale is the same, but the power increases. :smile:
Reply 3
the same work is done lifting each bale, regardless of speed. A useful formula is W=mgh, which shows that as long as the bales have equal masses, the energy (work done) needed is the same for each bale. the question states the masses are equal, so we know work done per bale is constant.
As with anything, if you do it more quickly, more power is required, so when the rate of lifting bales goes up, so does the useful power. Thus the answer is D.
Reply 4
Original post by tas1998
the same work is done lifting each bale, regardless of speed. A useful formula is W=mgh, which shows that as long as the bales have equal masses, the energy (work done) needed is the same for each bale. the question states the masses are equal, so we know work done per bale is constant.
As with anything, if you do it more quickly, more power is required, so when the rate of lifting bales goes up, so does the useful power. Thus the answer is D.

Same answer, same time :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Kyx
The

Original post by tas1998
The

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate your help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Do it Right
Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate your help :smile:

np

Quick Reply