The Student Room Group

I go to high school in Japan. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
so i guess you only have that thing where two sticks are joined together with a chain ? you know the one i mean :h:

My grandmo has sharp very sharp swords which she uses to execute

Spoiler

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hahahahah ! :' )

good moaning Shinwa-jō no ikimono :smile:
OP seems to have no weapons to defend himself against Sanzoku....

unless his hands are lethal weapons... you know the ones i mean :h:

[video="youtube;1B1_4gVu0DU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B1_4gVu0DU[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
Yes, but we cover so much of Japan's history (all the way from ancient Japan), that we don't really go into any of it in much detail. The history books definitely don't make Japan look like the victim, and people know that they were on the bad side lol

My bad. A lot of Chinese and Koreans are still angry. I don't think they know much about Japan.
Original post by jennyhp
Even though you study more subjects, is the workload equivalent to do 3 A levels?
Are the subjects as difficult as the A levels in the same subjects or a bit easier as you are doing more?

Im dont go to a japanese school but i can share some of my viwes.

A levels is a joke compared to what students learn here. Just look at what they cover in maths. Tbh i would say most japanese students (who are going to go to a decent uni) are oxbridge level
Original post by Duke Glacia
Im dont go to a japanese school but i can share some of my viwes.

A levels is a joke compared to what students learn here. Just look at what they cover in maths. Tbh i would say most japanese students (who are going to go to a decent uni) are oxbridge level

Lol seriously how much harder can Maths get😂
Original post by the bear
good moaning Shinwa-jō no ikimono :smile:

I had to google what you were talking about :innocent:

Spoiler

How Xenophobic are the Japanese in general. as I was thinking of going to japan for a extended holiday sometime.
Original post by jennyhp
Even though you study more subjects, is the workload equivalent to do 3 A levels?
Are the subjects as difficult as the A levels in the same subjects or a bit easier as you are doing more?

I'd say the workload is more than 3 A levels, but it generally depends on the subject. Humanities are 'harder' in that there's more content to cover, but easier in that you write very few essays, so don't really need to think (it's all memorisation and regurgitation of facts. A lot of the tests are multiple choice and filling in the blanks O.o) I did German, Japanese, Economics and Politics for A level, so I don't really know how difficult sciences are :P Everyone here has to do maths though (even if they're not good at it), so I'd say that's defiinitely harder.

The only subjects I have in common are Economics and Politics, and I find them easier because there are no essays. Memorisation takes ages, but once you get the hang of it it's not really that difficult lol.
Original post by Konahagakure
My bad. A lot of Chinese and Koreans are still angry. I don't think they know much about Japan.

Yeah that's definitely true. There have been some crazy politicians in Japan who try and deny what happened in Korea/China, but they're usually looked down on. I think the problem is that Korea and China don't think Japan has apologised enough. A lot of Japanese people are now sick of it all though, and just think they're after money :L
Original post by AperfectBalance
How Xenophobic are the Japanese in general. as I was thinking of going to japan for a extended holiday sometime.

Not xenophobic at all. Very accommodating to foreign visitors.
Not xenophobic at all. Very accommodating to foreign visitors.

Great
What got you interested in studying Japanese? :smile:
Yes, I studied it for about 4 years. But to be honest, there's a real difference between studying a language in the UK and actually moving to a country where it's spoken. My Japanese was 'good' by British standards (I got an A* at A level), but it was definitely inadequate when I got here, and it took about 4 months before I was actually comfortable with my Japanese.

Was learning japanese difficult or easy for you?
Original post by spritewoman
Was learning japanese difficult or easy for you?

Somewhere in the middle. I mostly taught myself which was difficult, but I did the GCSE after only 1 year and A level after 3 years, so I guess I found it easier than most people who study Japanese for a lot longer? I don't think it's as hard as people think though.
Original post by LeFeuilly
What got you interested in studying Japanese? :smile:

My brother studied it before me and I thought it looked cool. Also I didn't want him to be better than me at something :lol:
Somewhere in the middle. I mostly taught myself which was difficult, but I did the GCSE after only 1 year and A level after 3 years, so I guess I found it easier than most people who study Japanese for a lot longer? I don't think it's as hard as people think though.

How did you learn it? Did you start with learning the characters such as Hiragana and Katakana before the actual words? I'm trying to learn some of it myself.
Original post by Konahagakure
How did you learn it? Did you start with learning the characters such as Hiragana and Katakana before the actual words? I'm trying to learn some of it myself.

Hiragana and katakana were the first things I learnt. After that it was vocab, kanji and grammar.

Btw, I watched a lot of Naruto for vocab and exposure :lol:
I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA

Do you hold in your posession a death note, and if so what is the name of your shinigami and if you do have a shinigami, does it like apples?
Hiragana and katakana were the first things I learnt. After that it was vocab, kanji and grammar.

Btw, I watched a lot of Naruto for vocab and exposure :lol:

Wait.....I thought the Japanese in anime was different to the everyday Japanese that people speak.

Quick Reply

Latest