The Student Room Group

This is why guys have no chance when it comes to online dating

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
I think it's both true tbh, like if I found somebody ugly obviously I'd never be attracted to them but I think as long as they're average, your perception of someone changes the more you know them.

Like not even girls I like, just my friends when I met them I never thought much of them but as I got to know them more, I realise they're all decently pretty.

Whereas someone I dislike, I'm more likely to think they look bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true and someone can never be judged with just their looks, their personality might be the worst you could ever imagine. I think the issue I was on about was that morally and socially, we are told that looks aren't everything and people should go for personality when both are true and we shouldn't have to "lie" about it. If you think someone is ugly, yes there is a less likely chance that you won't be suited but you have to admit it. I know plenty of attractive people who look good but annoy the **** out of me and just have a horrid personality.

I just feel like in society, we dictate who is deemed worthy to date based on social perceptions. And yes, beauty is subjective, what one might find good looking, the other might not.
Original post by the bear
beauty is only skin deep. it is what is inside you that matters.

Banter
OP is butthurt that he can't compete.

Getting girls is like capitalism on steroids, if you think you are attractive enough to deserve a girl like OP, but she has 10 guys after her and one is a millionaire, one earns twice as much as you, one is better looking than you and has nice abs, you're just a ****ing loser and it's your responsibility to ensure you can compete rather than whining about it on the internet.

(imo she is average)
Original post by Dinasaurus
You said people on reddit are thirsty hence why they use reddit, you could've specified.

I don't think even 1% of the reddit userbase even uses that sub.

You don't have to be so sensitive, if someone personally said to me, I am thirsty, ugly, disgusting, inappropriate, probably homosexual my fee-fees would be more than able to cope.
I don't find myself particularly defensive, the example you gave would be less worthy of a reaction because it barely makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhythmical
I agree. And I hate it when people say they go for personality as opposed to looks. Looks is an important factor too, it creates attraction and without it, it's pretty difficult to satisfy someone sexually. Yes personality is important, I favour that immensely but you shouldn't need to compromise looks too.

Right. I really hate the whole the separation of looks and personality, anyway. We're not attracted to "looks" or "personality" per se, we're attracted to people.

We don't say, "I fancy brown hair", do we? We say I fancy Michelle, who has brown hair.

Like if you say I'm attracted to his personality but not his looks then you're not really attracted to him, are you? Because if you were attracted to him, he would look good to you even if other people thought him ugly.

This is also why I despise the whole number rating system (I've only used it once in recent memory and instantly regretted it) - there is no number. Only attraction or not attraction. It doesn't matter whether you're 9 or 5. Either there is attraction or there is not.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps
Right. I really hate the whole the separation of looks and personality, anyway. We're not attracted to "looks" or "personality" per se, we're attracted to people.

We don't say, "I fancy brown hair", do we? We say I fancy Michelle, who has brown hair.

Like if you say I'm attracted to his personality but not his looks then you're not really attracted to him, are you? Because if you were attracted to him, he would look good to you even if other people thought him ugly.

This is also why I despise the whole number rating system (I've only used it once in recent memory and instantly regretted it) - there is no number. Only attraction or not attraction. It doesn't matter whether you're 9 or 5. Either there is attraction or there is not.

SS

No that is true I guess. What I've never done is the numbers rating, I find it pointless and there is no definite way of measuring 'what number' someone is. What I find is that I become attracted to those who may not have crossed my mind before. Sure, they fancied me and made it clear but for me, it didn't matter. However, the more it dwelled on me. I became attracted to them. Also, there is the whole 'opposites attract' dilemma too. Having never tried it, I'm also inclined to believe that it may work on some but it is just a case of finding someone you like as a person and they share the same view. Whether or not you have common interests and want to make the relationship happen is your call.
I only read the title but if boys cannot score neither can girl right? Except Bi & homosexual girls
Reply 68
Original post by Jacktheslipper
I only read the title but if boys cannot score neither can girl right? Except Bi & homosexual girls

No, that's not correct.

Women will still get laid, they'll just only opt to get laid by the very best guys (guys who are like 8/10 and above).

So you end up with a situation where the 8/10 and above guys bang like 80% of the girls, and all the guys below 8+/10 have to fight over the 20% of girls that are left.

But I'm just talking about hooking up here, it works differently w.r.t relationships, because girls wont be able to have a relationship with the 8/10 and above guys (why would they be tied down to 1 woman, when they can have any woman they like), so they end up settling for a sub-8 guy when they want a relationship.
(edited 8 years ago)
She is definitely below average. 4/10 in my estimation

Great thread and points made by OP. I see so many very unattractive girls getting propositioned my numerous men on social media and the like.

I know it must get very tiresome for women but i think men of your equivalent beauty who stand zero chance of getting a girl / laid would swap you in a heatbeat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending