The Student Room Group

Aiming to do a park run

Heyo

So I'd like to do at least one 5k parkrun later this year in a decent amount of time. I'm very unfit.

I'll be working on my cardio fitness mainly on the treadmill. I will be happy with 15-30 minute 5ks. When I get to that point, does anyone have a suggestion of a training plan to follow to go from treadmill to irl?

Irl running is much harder but at the same time, I don't think I would have to regress to something like the beginning of C25K. Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Take it slow the first few times. I'm not sure if you need to prepare on the treadmill, I think the best bet is to just turn up and start doing it.
It's easy to start off too fast, because you might have a lot of energy and because others are running with you. Don't fall into that trap, just try to go at your own steady pace.

Oh and make sure you warm up and cool down thoroughly.

Remember, it's not a race.
Reply 2
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Heyo

So I'd like to do at least one 5k parkrun later this year in a decent amount of time. I'm very unfit.

I'll be working on my cardio fitness mainly on the treadmill. I will be happy with 15-30 minute 5ks. When I get to that point, does anyone have a suggestion of a training plan to follow to go from treadmill to irl?

Irl running is much harder but at the same time, I don't think I would have to regress to something like the beginning of C25K. Any suggestions?

If you get the chance to run outside I find that a staggered run is really good for cardio

Set yourself a square and jog,sprint,walk,sprint around each of the sides :smile: might help as it worked for me!
There is a huge difference between a 15 min 5k and a 30 min 5k. Build up your running volume slowly and find out how fast you can run a 5k at the moment. Then you can train for a specific goal time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thunder_chunky
Take it slow the first few times. I'm not sure if you need to prepare on the treadmill, I think the best bet is to just turn up and start doing it.

Too unfit to go very fast :tongue: but thanks. I think we've discussed why I'd like to personally feel good enough to turn up.
It's easy to start off too fast, because you might have a lot of energy and because others are running with you. Don't fall into that trap, just try to go at your own steady pace.

I do this :eek: and it's a habit I'll have to learn to avoid when I start running irl. Thanks for the tip.
Oh and make sure you warm up and cool down thoroughly.

Thanks. Out of curiosity. How do you do this? Just walk and stretch a bit? (iafw)
Remember, it's not a race.

True. But I wouldn't want to come last place. That would suck.

Original post by neb789
If you get the chance to run outside I find that a staggered run is really good for cardioSet yourself a square and jog,sprint,walk,sprint around each of the sides might help as it worked for me!

Thank you for your reply :smile:

Not something I've considered before but thanks for the tip :smile:. I don't have the time to dedicate park time at the moment but I might consider trying to break my walk home from work into roughly equal intervals to do a jog, sprint, walk, sprint cycle if I don't look too ridiculous.

Original post by myblueheaven339
There is a huge difference between a 15 min 5k and a 30 min 5k. Build up your running volume slowly and find out how fast you can run a 5k at the moment. Then you can train for a specific goal time.

Thank you for your reply :smile:

Ah, yes sorry. I simply would like to do a sub 30 minute 5k which is by no means good but what I would probably do if I ran continuously at a slow speed. I would want to get to the teens when I am nearing my peak physical fitness but I am far off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Keep running till you're sick, then run some more. Don't 'take it slow', you will get no where.
Also, @thunder_chunky, do you know how long the runs are open for?
Original post by Rugby Fierce
Keep running till you're sick, then run some more. Don't 'take it slow', you will get no where.

This is rubbish advice.

Also, @thunder_chunky, do you know how long the runs are open for?

What do you mean?
This is rubbish advice.

He is a known troll who keeps returning. But he is vaguely right, I suppose, in that it's good to push past limits. I certainly wouldn't run that hard and fast that I'd literally vomit, though. Perhaps he was using hyperbole.

What do you mean?

Iafw, I was wondering what the maximum time they give you to run the 5k in park run. I'm aware that they appreciate that everyone won't do it in 20 minutes. But 2 hrs would be too long. Do you know how long the circuit/set-up is open for? It wasn't in the website FAQ section.

Thanks btw for posting on my thread :h:.
(edited 7 years ago)
He is a known troll who keeps returning. But he is vaguely right, I suppose, in that it's good to push past limits. I certainly wouldn't run that hard and fast that I'd literally vomit, though. Perhaps he was using hyperbole.

:h:.

Sigh, the reason why you're not making the progress you should be making is because you don't put enough effort in. Running till your about to be sick means you're pushing youself.

When people don't like the truth they all shout 'troll'.... quite sad really but I understand how lazy and oblivious of the facts some of you are.
Heyo

that's a pretty big time range xD (i'm pretty unfit so i can run 5k in 34mins >.> the lancaster park run) 15 mins is pretty amazing and 30 mins is a bit below average i'd say...

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ <--- this site tells you where park runs are all over the country and they're mostly 5k i don't know if that's what you're looking for though???
i do the Lancaster park run whenever i'm at school
Original post by Lets be serious
Sigh, the reason why you're not making the progress you should be making is because you don't put enough effort in. Running till your about to be sick means you're pushing yourself.

When people don't like the truth they all shout 'troll'.... quite sad really but I understand how lazy and oblivious of the facts some of you are.

hey! it's not always a good idea to do that because once you push near your limit of what you can actually do you feel absolutely **** afterwards, i've tried it and it sucks big time.

i agree with thunder chunky that that's not good advice

x
Original post by thefatone
hey! it's not always a good idea to do that because once you push near your limit of what you can actually do you feel absolutely **** afterwards, i've tried it and it sucks big time.

i agree with thunder chunky that that's not good advice

That's good, it means you've trained hard. Rest and recover and you'll be better next time. If you don't put maximum effort in you won't make the progress you could be making.

I have competed in both swimming and running. Training till you literally can't swim another length or run another 50m is the best way to train. But only if you can handle it mentally, I know some weak minded people have to take things easy, but thats okay.
I'm pretty sure people go and walk the parkruns. They certainly don't expect everyone to be super athletic, I think you would be fine going to walk/run it - why not take a friend? It would mean you don't have to adapt to running outside as you'd already be doing it, and it is a different thing. I do think if you can run 5k on a treadmill you can probably make it round 5k outside although you'd be slower and it would be tough.
That's good, it means you've trained hard. Rest and recover and you'll be better next time. If you don't put maximum effort in you won't make the progress you could be making.

I have competed in both swimming and running. Training till you literally can't swim another length or run another 50m is the best way to train. But only if you can handle it mentally, I know some weak minded people have to take things easy, but thats okay.

tbh i'm not really good at anything physical activity related so i takes ages to recover so personally not the best idea, also when i do the run i don't push myself to the limit since after that i have 2 hours of volunteering and other actual stuff to do(not gaming and homework/revision). I come close though, close enough that my legs almost collapse underneath me :/ mentally i feel fine and physically super tired but yea... running uphill tons isn't fun.

i also don't push myself to the limit for the other reason that the reason i'm doing running isn't to get better at running...
tbh i'm not really good at anything physical activity related so i takes ages to recover so personally not the best idea, also when i do the run i don't push myself to the limit since after that i have 2 hours of volunteering and other actual stuff to do(not gaming and homework/revision). I come close though, close enough that my legs almost collapse underneath me :/ mentally i feel fine and physically super tired but yea... running uphill tons isn't fun.

i also don't push myself to the limit for the other reason that the reason i'm doing running isn't to get better at running...

If you don't have the time or means (food) to properly recover then the progress will again be minimal, just like if you don't train very hard. If you can't function again an hour after training then you're seriously unfit.
That's a pretty big time range xD (i'm pretty unfit so i can run 5k in 34mins >.>. The lancaster park run) 15 mins is pretty amazing and 30 mins is a bit below average i'd say...

That's not bad at all. Keep going at it and I'm sure you'll be in the 20s :smile:. I'm not too concerned about being average. I'm bigger than most. I expect to be slower. I just wouldn't want to be so bad I was last and a long distance behind everyone else.

Sorry. I just meant the shortest time I can possibly aspire to is probably 15 minutes.

This site tells you where park runs are all over the country and they're mostly 5k i don't know if that's what you're looking for though???
I do the Lancaster park run whenever I'm at school

They are all 5k I think :smile:.

Sigh, the reason why you're not making the progress you should be making is because you don't put enough effort in. Running till your about to be sick means you're pushing youself.

I thought the user might not be literal.

As for lack of progress, there certainly is some.

Last year my calves burnt when I walked 3 miles in an hr. I started this year walking the 5 miles (4.7-5 depending on the map I use) in 1:30 which is a somewhat faster rate (3.13-3.33 mph). I now consistently do it around 1:15 (3.76-4 mph)

Yesterday I ran for half an hr on the treadmill and spent another 12 minutes walking on it. I also walked for 6 miles that day.

Original post by doodle_333
I'm pretty sure people go and walk the parkruns. They certainly don't expect everyone to be super athletic, I think you would be fine going to walk/run it - why not take a friend? It would mean you don't have to adapt to running outside as you'd already be doing it, and it is a different thing. I do think if you can run 5k on a treadmill you can probably make it round 5k outside although you'd be slower and it would be tough.

If that's the case, then perhaps I can do it. I'm hoping @thunder_chunky can give me an idea of max time allowed. There's no number on the site. I suppose I could take a friend. I didn't think about that. Thanks :smile:. Most of mine are lazy :tongue: but I think I can think of someone. Outside is definitely harder!
(edited 7 years ago)

It's not a good method for beginner runner. It's difficult at first and there has to be a bit of structure. Beginner runners are limited in terms of how far they go or for how long so. If he doesn't take it slow and just goes nuts he will throw up and potentially injure himself. The advice was daft.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you don't have the time or means (food) to properly recover then the progress will again be minimal, just like if you don't train very hard. If you can't function again an hour after training then you're seriously unfit.

That's not bad at all. Keep going at it and I'm sure you'll be in the 20s :smile:. I'm not too concerned about being average. I'm bigger than most. I expect to be slower. I just wouldn't want to be so bad I was last and a long distance behind everyone else.

Sorry. I just meant the shortest time I can possibly aspire to is probably 15 minutes.

They are all 5k I think :smile:.

Oh, there's no way that's ever happening xD
My Max effort was 34 min lol (i.e. trying to go as fast as possible without burning out)
lol that's me in the set run our school does every year.. last and far behind everyone else :/

Iafw, I was wondering what the maximum time they give you to run the 5k in park run. I'm aware that they appreciate that everyone won't do it in 20 minutes. But 2 hrs would be too long. Do you know how long the circuit/set-up is open for? It wasn't in the website FAQ section.

Thanks btw for posting on my thread :h:.

It won't take you more than hour. You can walk it if you wish. Or you could run some and power walk the rest. It's up to you. I think they stick around until the last one is done. Tell them you're a beginner as well.

Quick Reply

Latest