The Student Room Group

Natural Log equation question

the quesstion is

Ln(x+3) + Ln(X-1)= 0

My thoguhts are if I do the inverse and put e in, then it cancels out to a simple equation, but that means the X's cancel out then? Also the answer has a Root 5 in it which is confusing.
Reply 1
Original post by SunDun111
the quesstion is

Ln(x+3) + Ln(X-1)= 0

My thoguhts are if I do the inverse and put e in, then it cancels out to a simple equation, but that means the X's cancel out then? Also the answer has a Root 5 in it which is confusing.

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}\ln(x+3) + \ln(x-1) = 0 &\iff \ln(x+3)(x-1) = 0 \\ &\iff (x+3)(x-1) = e^0 = 1 \\ &\iff x^2 -x + 3x - 3 = 1 \\ & \iff x^2 +2x -4 = 0 \\ &\iff \cdots\end{align*}

Solve this quadratic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
the quesstion is

Ln(x+3) + Ln(X-1)= 0

It sounds like what you did was:

ln(x+3)+ln(x1)=0eln(x+3)+eln(x1)=e0\displaystyle \ln(x+3) + \ln (x-1) = 0 \Rightarrow e^{\ln (x+3)} + e^{\ln (x-1)} = e^0 but this isn't allowed.

The correct version is ln(x+3)+ln(x1)=0eln(x+3)+ln(x1)=e0\displaystyle \ln(x+3) + \ln (x-1) = 0 \Rightarrow e^{\ln(x+3) + \ln (x-1)} = e^0.

There's a difference.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
It sounds like what you did was:

ln(x+3)+ln(x1)=0eln(x+3)+eln(x1)=e0\displaystyle \ln(x+3) + \ln (x-1) = 0 \Rightarrow e^{\ln (x+3)} + e^{\ln (x-1)} = e^0 but this isn't allowed.

The correct version is ln(x+3)+ln(x1)=0eln(x+3)+ln(x1)=e0\displaystyle \ln(x+3) + \ln (x-1) = 0 \Rightarrow e^{\ln(x+3) + \ln (x-1)} = e^0.

There's a difference.

Thanks, just a quick question if you have something like 4x = Ln2
Do you write it as X = 1/4Ln2, cant you just write it as the entire Log divided by 4.
Ln(x+3)= -ln(x-1)
ln(x+3) =ln(x-1)^-1
take e of both sides
x+3 = 1/x-1
solve from there
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BrwnSugR1
My initial thought is to just take the ln of both components and get "x+3+x-1=0" and solve for x from there.

Nope, that's wrong.

But since you say there is a root 5, the only way I found to get a root 5 in the answer is to do the following:

Ln(x+3)= -ln(x-1)
ln(x+3) =ln(x-1)^-1

This is fine, but overly lengthy.

take ln of both sides

No. You mean take the exponential of both sides.

x+3 = 1/x-1
solve from there and you will get a root 5 for x using the quadratic formula.

This is fine but overly lengthy.
Reply 6
Thanks, just a quick question if you have something like 4x = Ln2
Do you write it as X = 1/4Ln2, cant you just write it as the entire Log divided by 4.

4x=ln2    x=ln244x = \ln 2 \iff x = \frac{\ln 2}{4}. That's it, I'm not sure what question you're asking?
Original post by Zacken
Nope, that's wrong.

This is fine, but overly lengthy.

No. You mean take the exponential of both sides.

This is fine but overly lengthy.

Yeah, you're right thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
4x=ln2    x=ln244x = \ln 2 \iff x = \frac{\ln 2}{4}. That's it, I'm not sure what question you're asking?

The way that the answerbook has it is that its written as 1/4Ln2 so i was just wondering what is the correct way to write it.
Reply 9
The way that the answerbook has it is that its written as 1/4Ln2 so i was just wondering what is the correct way to write it.

The textbook means x=14ln2x = \frac{1}{4}\ln 2 which is just as valid and equivalent to x=ln24x = \frac{\ln 2}{4}.
Reply 10
Yeah, you're right thanks!

Have a look at my reply to see how to do it! :smile:
Reply 11

They both mean the exact same thing, just another way of writing it
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
The textbook means x=14ln2x = \frac{1}{4}\ln 2 which is just as valid and equivalent to x=ln24x = \frac{\ln 2}{4}.

Original post by KaylaB
They both mean the exact same thing, just another way of writing it

Thanks was just being a bit dumb
Original post by Zacken
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{align*}\ln(x+3) + \ln(x-1) = 0 &\iff \ln(x+3)(x-1) = 0 \\ &\iff (x+3)(x-1) = e^0 = 1 \\ &\iff x^2 -x + 3x - 1 = 1 \\ & \iff x^2 +2x -2 = 0 \\ &\iff \cdots\end{align*}

Solve this quadratic.

Where the brackets are expanded, I think the expansion should instead be x^2-x+3x-3=1 simplified to x^2+2x-4=0
Reply 14
Where the brackets are expanded, I think the expansion should instead be x^2-x+3x-3=1 simplified to x^2+2x-4=0

Yep, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest