The Student Room Group

Revision isn't sticking!

I've been doing some revision the past month for my GCSEs and it feels like nothing is sticking!

I revised for my mocks (which were late jan) and everything worked so well, i felt confident and it all worked out, but this time round (which is what matters! :frown:) i've tried to follow the same path but nothing seems to stick!

My memory used to be amazing but after mocks it seems non-existent! :argh:

I wondered if anyone has any tips/advice or can relate?
Reply 1
i agree with you tbh

i revised lots for my mocks and i got good grades but now i just cba and when I do nothing goes in its just like 'meh'

tfw unmotivated af, can't remember anything

fail gcses af
Reply 2
Ok, pink.lemonade. Great name, BTW. Here are some techniques that worked for me!
The 60:10 technique: 60 minutes work, 10 minutes rest. Set a timer, and stick to that rule!! If you stop working and, say, check your email for even a minute in working time, start your 60 minutes over. It dosn't have to be 60:10, do whatever works for you.
LSCWC: Look, say, cover, write, check. Although mostly used in spelling, this can work for simple revision too. Read, say a sentance or small paragraph and follow the instrucutions, though you can put it into your own words, of course.
Revison notes: stick these revision notes around your house, especially facts you struggle with! It's a cliche, but it helps for some.
Feed you inner hunger monster: don't gorge,of course, but make yourself a glass of milk and a cheese sandwhich so you don't get hungry and distracted.
Read stuff in funny accents: It could work! Get it into your head.
Don't turn into a zombie: Do stuff you enjoy, too.
Practise papers: practise makes perfect!
The right environment: a desk, with a normal wooden chair and revison books. NO TV. NO PHONES. NO LAPTOPS (unless needed).
Good Luck, that's all i've got!! :smile:
Original post by Egirl127
Ok, pink.lemonade. Great name, BTW. Here are some techniques that worked for me!
The 60:10 technique: 60 minutes work, 10 minutes rest. Set a timer, and stick to that rule!! If you stop working and, say, check your email for even a minute in working time, start your 60 minutes over. It dosn't have to be 60:10, do whatever works for you.
LSCWC: Look, say, cover, write, check. Although mostly used in spelling, this can work for simple revision too. Read, say a sentance or small paragraph and follow the instrucutions, though you can put it into your own words, of course.
Revison notes: stick these revision notes around your house, especially facts you struggle with! It's a cliche, but it helps for some.
Feed you inner hunger monster: don't gorge,of course, but make yourself a glass of milk and a cheese sandwhich so you don't get hungry and distracted.
Read stuff in funny accents: It could work! Get it into your head.
Don't turn into a zombie: Do stuff you enjoy, too.
Practise papers: practise makes perfect!
The right environment: a desk, with a normal wooden chair and revison books. NO TV. NO PHONES. NO LAPTOPS (unless needed).
Good Luck, that's all i've got!! :smile:

Even though this isn't my thread. I was having the same problem and you helped me.
Thank You:smile:
Original post by pink.lemonade
I've been doing some revision the past month for my GCSEs and it feels like nothing is sticking!

I revised for my mocks (which were late jan) and everything worked so well, i felt confident and it all worked out, but this time round (which is what matters! :frown:) i've tried to follow the same path but nothing seems to stick!

My memory used to be amazing but after mocks it seems non-existent! :argh:

I wondered if anyone has any tips/advice or can relate?

Take regular breaks, so that your brain can retain the information. Make a revision checklist highlighting everything you think you need to revise. Make flashcards. Then go through them thoroughly. Thats what I do but I do have the same problem as you sometimes.:smile:
Use some super glue
Original post by EastGuava
Use some super glue

haha - hopefully that will work!
Original post by *Alisha*
Take regular breaks, so that your brain can retain the information. Make a revision checklist highlighting everything you think you need to revise. Make flashcards. Then go through them thoroughly. Thats what I do but I do have the same problem as you sometimes.:smile:

thanks for your tips!
What did you get for your mocks?
Maybe you can remember it subconsciously, try doing a past paper in exam conditions, see how that works out. If it doesn't try using flashcards (although I can't say how effective they are as I've never used them) and stick to a revision timetable.
Original post by pink.lemonade
thanks for your tips!

Its ok, just keep testing yourself regularly for each subject to see if you actually remember stuff. Actually remembering something is not actually a good idea. What ive noticed is that if you understand something really well you remember stuff much better. I think you should watch videos on youtube which is what I do because I have a VERY useless physics teacher so I use look at videos online.
Original post by nisha.sri
What did you get for your mocks?

mainly As with a few A*s x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NotNotBatman
Maybe you can remember it subconsciously, try doing a past paper in exam conditions, see how that works out. If it doesn't try using flashcards (although I can't say how effective they are as I've never used them) and stick to a revision timetable.

thanks for your tips! part of me thinks I remember it subconsciously but don't think it's the best method to rely on 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Alisha*
Its ok, just keep testing yourself regularly for each subject to see if you actually remember stuff. Actually remembering something is not actually a good idea. What ive noticed is that if you understand something really well you remember stuff much better. I think you should watch videos on youtube which is what I do because I have a VERY useless physics teacher so I use look at videos online.

agreed! i think watching youtube videos is one of my best methods of revision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending